The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 July 2021, 11:45 AM   #1
dannyp
Banned

Cartier quartz service: What should it cost?

Took my wife's old Santos quartz to Cartier for a battery replacement. Low and behold, watchmaker "recommends" a complete servicing (shocking, I know...). Explanation was that gaskets (rear and crown tube) seemed worn, dial was spotted, movement could use lubrication and glue around the crystal seemed to be eroding.

On a modern quartz piece with fairly low water resistance anyways, how much do each of these things matter as long as the watch runs when a battery is put in it, and what should it cost to fix if we decide to?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 11:49 AM   #2
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Took my wife's old Santos quartz to Cartier for a battery replacement. Low and behold, watchmaker "recommends" a complete servicing (shocking, I know...). Explanation was that gaskets (rear and crown tube) seemed worn, dial was spotted, movement could use lubrication and glue around the crystal seemed to be eroding.

On a modern quartz piece with fairly low water resistance anyways, how much do each of these things matter as long as the watch runs when a battery is put in it, and what should it cost to fix if we decide to?

Ask for a quote. It might be plenty of money
ELLimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 01:09 PM   #3
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLimon View Post
Ask for a quote. It might be plenty of money
They quoted something like $375. Or $49 for just the battery.

But that’s from Cartier… thinking that independent watchmaker would probably be like half, no? Pretty straightforward maintenance I’d think.
Old 21 July 2021, 10:31 PM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

$375 seems reasonable to me. Plus have a feeling Cartier also gives you a bit of warranty with them after the service is performed.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 11:05 PM   #5
dannyp
Banned

Thanks. For those who’ve had quartz Cartier watches with 30m WR, do all of these recommendations sound truly necessary, or are some equivalent to the service department trying to sell me “magic gas” for in my tires?
Old 22 July 2021, 12:32 AM   #6
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
$375 is cheap for a service and to keep the watch in good working condition. Plus they warranty the work. In addition, Cartier doesn't sell parts to independent watch makers so gaskets and the crown tube will be generic, not sure how well they will fit, and if they don't fit well they won't keep moisture or dust out. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 12:49 AM   #7
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
"dial was spotted" hints that the watch have had moisture on the inside. Letting gaskets perish more and keep using the same way and I would say it's just a matter of time until something unfortunate happens. Get the service and you are good for ten years daily using without worrying that accidentally dipping the watch in the sink will ruin it.
Old 22 July 2021, 01:33 AM   #8
dannyp
Banned

Thanks! Appreciate the replies and sounds like it's worth having full service. It's been a "daily drawer-dweller" for the past three years or so, so I don't know how it would fare under regular use in its current condition.

Doesn't sound like they're doing a true overhaul (disassembling movement for cleaning of each part), just a lubrication, gasket replacement and resealing of crystal. I would imagine a true overhaul costing more, even though it's a quartz (though there's probably little more than a Cartier-stamped ETA inside, as this watch was from around 2010).

Wouldn't shock me if some moisture had gotten in over the years, since I think this model is only 30m WR. Don't recall ever seeing condensation on inside of crystal but who knows...
Old 22 July 2021, 04:46 AM   #9
Flying Clog
"TRF" Member

Just had my wife’s Cartier Santos back from battery replacement, full service and replacement bezel at Cartier.

Battery replacement and full service was EUR395
Replacement bezel was EUR265

They recommended a full replacement bracelet too but asked them to lightly polish as part of the service as the replacement was EUR1,920 !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flying Clog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 11:39 AM   #10
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Clog View Post
They recommended a full replacement bracelet too but asked them to lightly polish as part of the service as the replacement was EUR1,920 !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crazy recommendation. I guess their shareholders need to eat well.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 01:36 PM   #11
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

I just paid $65 to have the battery and gaskets changed in my wife’s tank solo. If I opted for the full service, it would have been $180. This was done by the only Cartier AD in Wisconsin.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 12:32 AM   #12
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
I just paid $65 to have the battery and gaskets changed in my wife’s tank solo. If I opted for the full service, it would have been $180. This was done by the only Cartier AD in Wisconsin.
T&S?

What was included with the “full service” offered?
Old 24 July 2021, 04:03 AM   #13
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
T&S?

What was included with the “full service” offered?
Actually not sure what would haev been included in the full service. My wife's watch is around 10 years and previously had one battery and gasket change. It didn't sound like it needed whatever the full service was.

And yes, it was T&S and they were wonderful to deal with. Took almost 2 months though since they said they had a huge workload of repairs and service work.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 11:29 AM   #14
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

Do ADs offer service or just boutiques?
BDL is offline   Reply With Quote