The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 4 August 2021, 05:15 AM   #1
blackandgold
"TRF" Member

15300 with rubbber strap

Hey folks!

First post.. thought I'd share a pic of my 15300 with the AP bands rubber strap I just fitted.

I bought a new alligator strap from the AP boutique last year, which cost nearly £500. Within 8 months the strap was already falling apart. I went back to the boutique expecting them to replace it and was told that the "normal" lifespan of the alligator strap (if worn daily) is around 6 months!!! What planet are they on!?!
Anyway, I decided that I'd opt for a rubber strap, especially as it's summer. It's not as suave as the alligator but still looks great, imo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4091.jpg (278.2 KB, 276 views)
blackandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 12:23 PM   #2
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch. Lunacy that the boutique would tell you that alligator straps typically have a lifespan of 6 months.
Old 5 August 2021, 02:17 AM   #3
RoyalOac
"TRF" Member

nice,wheres the strap from?
Rolex Submariner 126613 LB
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST
RoyalOac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 04:16 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Not surprised the gold weight is too much for the leather straps, I had one and it was tearing up, the rubber is a much better choice, but 6 months is too short a period, should have at least a 1 year guarantee.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 06:12 AM   #5
dre-techie
"TRF" Member

It's a good look! That looks like the AP OEM rubber strap.

I recently got the OEM strap conversion kit for my 15300ST as well. The hardware and strap are the same as for the 15400ST, 15500ST and the 41mm ROCs.
dre-techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 07:59 AM   #6
blackandgold
"TRF" Member

Hey guys

Yeah, I thought it was pretty poor form from AP to suggest that I'm expected to spend nearly £1k a year on straps. There are some clear weak points in the leather strap: around the screw holes on the sides - around the plots (the leather pulls downward, revealing the steel plate in the strap) - on the inside of the strap where the leather folds over and is stuck down.

AP have the ingenuity and money to address these flaws. And they really should. Especially as they don't offer a rubber strap option for a 39mm RO (or so I was told).

Anyway, definitely growing much fonder of the rubber strap today. The alligator strap is a tough act to follow, but knowing that I no longer have to take my watch off around water is a massive bonus.

Some more pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4114.jpg (281.6 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4115.jpg (276.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4116.jpg (277.0 KB, 157 views)
Old 5 August 2021, 08:09 AM   #7
blackandgold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre-techie View Post
It's a good look! That looks like the AP OEM rubber strap.

I recently got the OEM strap conversion kit for my 15300ST as well. The hardware and strap are the same as for the 15400ST, 15500ST and the 41mm ROCs.
Ahh! Thanks for the info, man. I can't believe they didn't tell me that at the boutique when I inquired about a rubber strap.
Old 5 August 2021, 11:47 AM   #8
dre-techie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
Ahh! Thanks for the info, man. I can't believe they didn't tell me that at the boutique when I inquired about a rubber strap.
From the OP’s additional photos, it might be the APbands strap.

The boutique told you the official line. Only the alligator strap conversion is offered for the 15300ST. Plots, screws, alligator strap, deployant clasp. The rubber conversion is discouraged for our model…

While having the 15300ST on a strap is nice to change things up, I find that the black rubber strap makes the black dial 15300ST look smaller on the wrist than it does on a bracelet. For my wrist (6.75”), I like the proportions of the 39mm on bracelet, would probably enjoy a 41mm RO with rubber strap.
dre-techie is offline   Reply With Quote