The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 June 2017, 01:00 PM   #1
Eva123
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116333
Seiko Astron review

Finally I have got my Seiko Astron SSE041 (titanium + ceramic) watch. I weared it for few days and my impressions are the following:

Watch is very nice and extremely light. This is due to the fact that ceramics and titanium are light. Dial looks quite busy but not so busy as Chronograph version. Titanium is very sturdy but prone to scratches. This watch has some coating to prevent scratches. As all we know, ceramics is scratch resistant. Accordingly, my expectation is that this watch should like new even after long-time of wearing :)

Dial: very nice 3D look, glass is sapphire. When I look at dial I have impression that there is no glass at all as it is so transparent and there is no glass glow (I guess due to some coating).

Case is polished by using the same polishing technique as it is used in Grand Seiko. Ceramic bezel is good quality and shining.

Bracelet is very comfortable, clasp is very soft. Overall feeling wearing watch is very satisfying.

Watch accuracy: I am a bit accuracy freak and it really satisfies me that this is the most accurate watch in the world (1 s / 100,000 years). When I opened watch box it sensed GPS even in the premises and watch automatically reset to local time. GPS connection is really fast and reliable (in a city I easily got reception from >4 satellites. Solar power reserve is 6 months and watch is charging when it catches light (also, there is a function which prevents overcharging).

I travel a lot and, accordingly, dual time function is very useful for me as I like to track local time and time in my home country. If I travel to a new location with different time zone, local time / home country time adjusts automatically.

In summary there are the following pros and cons:

Pros

1) The most accurate watch in the world;
2) High quality of case and bracelet
3) Very good glass coating which makes impression that there is no glass;
4) Very easy to operate (solar charging, automatic time adjustment).

Cons

1) there is a time (for few hours) when second time subdial is covered by the main dial hour hand and it is hard to see what is time in smaller subdial;
2) Pins in bracelet are not screwable and I am a bit afraid that after some time they call fall from bracelet;
3) Crown is also not screwable and I have concerns that during swimming it is possible that crown could open and there might be water leakage (watch has water resistance of 100 m but I still not convinced that it is 100% safe to swim in a water).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seiko Astron v3.jpg (280.8 KB, 299 views)
Eva123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 10:07 PM   #2
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Very nice watch
Old 15 June 2017, 10:16 PM   #3
PJ S
Banned

If the watch is stated as 100m rating, then it has all that 100m water resistancy brings with it, irrespective of whether the crown screws down or not.
In this day and age of the internet and knowledge imparted online, I’m amazed there’s still the notion that only screw down crowns provide true water resistance, which shows a remarkable lack of appreciation and understanding for technical design achievements.
Seiko isn’t unique to 100 or 200m non-screw down crown design.

As for pins and collets to secure the links of the bracelet, they won’t just “fall out”!

Given your so-called concerns, I’m left wondering WTH you even bought the watch in the first place?
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 01:57 AM   #4
Eva123
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116333
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
If the watch is stated as 100m rating, then it has all that 100m water resistancy brings with it, irrespective of whether the crown screws down or not.
In this day and age of the internet and knowledge imparted online, I’m amazed there’s still the notion that only screw down crowns provide true water resistance, which shows a remarkable lack of appreciation and understanding for technical design achievements.
Seiko isn’t unique to 100 or 200m non-screw down crown design.

As for pins and collets to secure the links of the bracelet, they won’t just “fall out”!

Given your so-called concerns, I’m left wondering WTH you even bought the watch in the first place?

I really like my watch. That's why i bought it. I just expressed my concerns, wchich are subjective. Do not understand why you commenting so harsh.
Eva123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 06:53 AM   #5
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

So on #2. Yes eventually the tubes will wallow out and the pins will slide out on their own despite what dude above has said.... Easy way to cure is to Loctite them in place so they don't migrate out. I had a Spring Drive Chronograph, and for a $7000.00 retail watch I was bummed with the same type of bracelet as yours, no screws...

#3. A screw down crown is more resistant than a push pull crown providing it is screwed down. Ive had a 100m water resist watch that was brand new leak when swimming. It was a non threading crown. If you ever send the watch in for service to Seiko, they water test when the service is complete.
Some threading case back and threading crown watches will even fail pressure testing thru the bezel or maybe pitting in the case or case back. Nothing is water resistant forever.

Wear the watch and enjoy it !!! After 3-5 years have it serviced and have them check to make sure its still water resistant. When its no longer water resistant then just don't swim with it.

Last edited by AJSM; 16 June 2017 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: misspelling
AJSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 07:59 PM   #6
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Eva,
100m water resistant is tested on a static pressure of 10 bar. Normal swimming/ showering should be fine. Diving from a high jump board into the water will obviously increase the pressure and I would refrain from that.
Screw down crown has little effect on watertightness i.e. Rolex Sub with screwed down or open crown does not matter that much. Seal is around the shaft of the winding crown. plenty posts on the forum about that.

As for the pins in the bracelet, don't worry, these last a lifetime. Even Grand Seiko uses it and having owned a few Seiko's myself never any problems. Rolex screw pin I had once come out and loctite fixed that.

Don't worry, enjoy your great watch, it's not delicate, made to wear
Old 21 June 2017, 02:45 AM   #7
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice review!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 05:57 PM   #8
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Eva,
100m water resistant is tested on a static pressure of 10 bar. Normal swimming/ showering should be fine. Diving from a high jump board into the water will obviously increase the pressure and I would refrain from that.
Screw down crown has little effect on watertightness i.e. Rolex Sub with screwed down or open crown does not matter that much. Seal is around the shaft of the winding crown. plenty posts on the forum about that.

As for the pins in the bracelet, don't worry, these last a lifetime. Even Grand Seiko uses it and having owned a few Seiko's myself never any problems. Rolex screw pin I had once come out and loctite fixed that.

Don't worry, enjoy your great watch, it's not delicate, made to wear
And don't splash around in the spa with your watch, that is wewy, wewy dangerous. The extra pressure will blast its way past the seals.

I like my Astron but I have other watches to swim/dive with.

How lucky am I to have it on rubber.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 09:51 AM   #9
hnn17
"TRF" Member

I have this exact watch a 2015 build from the serial, got it on ebay for under 1k aud so their value don't hold well. Only use it to set my other watches more convenient than going to time.nist.
hnn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 11:53 PM   #10
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Very nice