The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 December 2017, 04:40 AM   #1
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Should I buy this Patek 5120G?

I’ve been looking for a slim dress watch and narrowed it down to the 5120G, which unfortunately is discontinued. I prefer 2 hands and micro rotor over the current 3 hands/manual 5119.

Was about to commit until the seller dropped this bomb. Not sure if I’m just unrealistic to expect an unpolished 5120 (but who wears a dress watch daily to warrant a polish ), but 14 years is old. The lugs also don't look sharp at all.

The 5119 is now only $17480 list, so what do you all feel about $13500 for this 5120? Full set with papers.

From seller:
This watch has been refinished, and it looks great. It was originally purchased in 2003. We do not have any service records for it, but it was fully tested/inspected by our watchmakers and deemed to be in proper working order.

Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 05:48 AM   #2
Tony64
"TRF" Member

I think the 5120 is a great choice and a very classic Patek design with its hobnail bezel and black Romans. The microrotor 240 is as reliable as it is beautiful and is the same movement used for many of Patek's most complicated timepieces.

One of the finest dress watches you can own and nice to see some appreciation for these watches. From the majority of the postings here you'd sometimes think that Patek only made pilot and steel sports watches.

The 5120 was only recently discontinued so it's a safe bet that you could still find one new at an AD and likely at a good discount. 35mm just isn't appreciated by everyone, though it suits this dress watch perfectly IMO.

A practical advantage of the hobnail bezel is that it doesn't show scratches and doesn't require polishing. I suppose the teeth could dent, though unlikely. It's not exactly a watch you'd wear playing basketball.

The sides of the case are high polish and can get scratched. Fortunately that's an area that's easy to polish and shouldn't alter the case shape.

If you're at all concerned about this one I'd pass.
There are plenty of these available new and used and it's a buyer's market right now for these references.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 07:13 AM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’d say it’s worth an hour on the phones calling ADs. You might find one new for similar money.
Old 6 December 2017, 08:31 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
"deemed to be in working order." If it has not been serviced, it need a service.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 08:51 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Altho refinished on this is probably fine, it still rankles a bit with me, I was offered an Aquanaut at a good price that had just been refurbished by PP but I decided I wanted a new unworn one at a higher price instead so I waited. See if you can find a new one first.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 09:17 AM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

It depends on how long you intend to keep the watch. If you are planning to keep it for 1-2 years or less, then I would say get the preowned and you won't lose as much on resale. If you are looking for a keeper watch, then I agree with others in getting one NOS from an AD with a full 2 year warranty.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 09:21 AM   #7
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Thanks, glad to see I'm not the only one here. Don't come across too many posts on the 5120 or 2 hand Pateks in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I think the 5120 is a great choice and a very classic Patek design with its hobnail bezel and black Romans. The microrotor 240 is as reliable as it is beautiful and is the same movement used for many of Patek's most complicated timepieces.

One of the finest dress watches you can own and nice to see some appreciation for these watches. From the majority of the postings here you'd sometimes think that Patek only made pilot and steel sports watches.

The 5120 was only recently discontinued so it's a safe bet that you could still find one new at an AD and likely at a good discount. 35mm just isn't appreciated by everyone, though it suits this dress watch perfectly IMO.

A practical advantage of the hobnail bezel is that it doesn't show scratches and doesn't require polishing. I suppose the teeth could dent, though unlikely. It's not exactly a watch you'd wear playing basketball.

The sides of the case are high polish and can get scratched. Fortunately that's an area that's easy to polish and shouldn't alter the case shape.

If you're at all concerned about this one I'd pass.
There are plenty of these available new and used and it's a buyer's market right now for these references.

Good advice, just wrote to a dozen ADs. I know Patek Salons can ship to the US and take off that 8% VAT, but how likely will ADs be open to shipping? If anyone has experience or would like to refer one, please let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’d say it’s worth an hour on the phones calling ADs. You might find one new for similar money.
Yes that's one of my concern, especially at 14 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
"deemed to be in working order." If it has not been serviced, it need a service.
I'm more inclined to buy pre-owned when it comes to gold, took a bath before and never again..

But yes same here, I prefer unpolished pieces unless done right by the manufacturer. AP Clearwater does a wonderful job, and that's one instance I wouldn't mind a refinished case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Altho refinished on this is probably fine, it still rankles a bit with me, I was offered an Aquanaut at a good price that had just been refurbished by PP but I decided I wanted a new unworn one at a higher price instead so I waited. See if you can find a new one first.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 09:40 PM   #8
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
I'm looking at buying a 5120J right now and going through the same decision process. While I like the 5119's subseconds, the 240 movement on the 5120 is just divine. I must say, it is becoming very hard to find them now at ADs.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:51 AM   #9
blackeagle7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post

The 5119 is now only $17480 list, so what do you all feel about $13500 for this 5120? Full set with papers.
Where do you see $17,480 for 5119. I just bought the 5119r this weekend for 20,800. The list price was $21,540 and the AD said he gave me $740 off.
blackeagle7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 10:36 AM   #10
blackeagle7
"TRF" Member

Just realized that this was an old post. Still not sure about the deal I got. Nevertheless it is done. I got an extra strap set though.
blackeagle7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:00 PM   #11
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Hi OP,I just sold one on eBay for 12,500- 5120j new condition COO all boxes & papers. It’s a great piece!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 40AD68CE-EA0A-4C08-BE38-F690A5F1A2C4.jpeg (119.2 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpeg 553E2016-1143-4587-A62B-5D0D09065C06.jpeg (224.4 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpeg DAEF6BEE-D5F6-40BC-B971-669625742683.jpeg (103.1 KB, 184 views)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 08:39 AM   #12
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
I know this is an old thread but hoping the OP got his watch either way!

I got mine recently from an European watch dealer, second hand recently serviced with 2 yr warranty, usual Patek archive extract and new strap at a good price.

Must say I am grateful for the watch as it is sublime on the wrist!

That said I should ask if it was ever polished to the best of his knowledge. It doesn’t look it but not sure if there is a way to confirm it?

alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 08:42 AM   #13
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Hi OP,I just sold one on eBay for 12,500- 5120j new condition COO all boxes & papers. It’s a great piece!

Old 29 March 2019, 08:44 AM   #14
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
I’ve been looking for a slim dress watch and narrowed it down to the 5120G, which unfortunately is discontinued. I prefer 2 hands and micro rotor over the current 3 hands/manual 5119.

Was about to commit until the seller dropped this bomb. Not sure if I’m just unrealistic to expect an unpolished 5120 (but who wears a dress watch daily to warrant a polish ), but 14 years is old. The lugs also don't look sharp at all.

From seller:

This watch has been refinished, and it looks great. It was originally purchased in 2003. We do not have any service records for it, but it was fully tested/inspected by our watchmakers and deemed to be in proper working order.

That exhibition case back showing the legendary caliber 240 with the micro rotor swayed me to go with 5120 over the 5119!
Old 29 March 2019, 09:42 AM   #15
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them...
The 5120 is sooooo gorgeous....