The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 10 July 2017, 05:40 PM   #1
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Grand Seiko / Seiko - What's your recommendation to complete a Trilogy

Hi TRF

I am seriously looking at adding another model of the same brand to complete a trilogy, which was actually inspired after seeing a trilogy reissue of another brand.

For me, a Grand Seiko snowflake in titanium case with spring drive movement and power reserve would definitely fit into my trilogy for this brand. You have a mesmerizing dial that is uniquely Grand Seiko (as far as I am aware) with the one-of-a-kind movement (Quartz-like and automatic-like), and a polished lightweight titanium case and bracelet.

Hence, I would like to get your thought on this. Do you prefer the older model with the Seiko logo or the newer model with the GS logo? On the other hand, if you have another recommended model, I would welcome your suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 08:07 PM   #2
fmc000
Banned

I'd go for the newer model if you like the look. At Seiko they usually upgrade silently their models every time they release a new version, so it would be a no brainer for me.

If you're a dress watch kind of guy, the snowflake is very hard to beat IMHO.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 08:54 PM   #3
regnant
"TRF" Member

A newer model with spring drive would be top in my list
Old 10 July 2017, 10:35 PM   #4
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Perhaps I'm not completely used to the new logo on the non-chronograph GS watches yet, but I still prefer the old logo layout. I kinda like the old "SEIKO" logo at 12. I might be in the minority though. Regardless, the SBGA011/211 is a great addition to any collection. Just curious, what are your other 2 GS watches and are you looking for any particular qualities in the watch to complete your trilogy?
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 11:26 PM   #5
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Hi SSCosmo

I currently have a manual wound white dial GS with leather strap and a dark dial diver watch automatic in silicone strap. I'm seriously looking at adding a third Seiko and thought that this SBGA211 may be a good addition.

Old 10 July 2017, 11:29 PM   #6
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnant View Post
A newer model with spring drive would be top in my list

Thanks! Doing more research on spring drive. From what I have read so far, the gliding second hands on a snowflake dial is truly mesmerizing.

Old 11 July 2017, 01:01 AM   #7
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
Hi SSCosmo

I currently have a manual wound white dial GS with leather strap and a dark dial diver watch automatic in silicone strap. I'm seriously looking at adding a third Seiko and thought that this SBGA211 may be a good addition.

The SBGA211 would fit in perfectly with those two as a watch that can be dressy and casual. The Spring Drive movement would also be something different. If you haven't seen any of these watches in-person, you should really find time to visit an AD and see them for yourself. It's also a good idea to see other GS dials in-person. It's hard to capture the beauty of their various dials in photos, and some of them look way better in person than they do in photos. A good example is the SBGJ021 with the red dial. Amazingly complex color and texture when seen in person.
Old 11 July 2017, 03:00 AM   #8
PJ S
Banned

I disagree with the comment about Seiko silently upgrading things – it’s a watch, not a computer operating system or application!
The 9R65 fitted to the SBGA011 will be the exact same as the one fitted to the SGA211 – the only change during production was a move from the relatively boring sunburst rotor to one with matching Tokyo stripes as the bridge below it. So any SBGA011 from 2013 (iirc), should have the current rotor finishing.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 03:27 AM   #9
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
I'm seriously looking at adding a third Seiko and thought that this SBGA211 may be a good addition
Sir, You seriously need to weigh in on your options once again since I going to show you some finer details on both the old and new Snowflake dials
>Observe that the new dial rather than having a cleaner look now appears to be boring
>The applied elegant Seiko logo is gone and replaced by the single applied GS logo situated a tad higher IMHO
> Is the colour of the printed Spring Drive font same or different on both dials ?
>Remember 011 is now a discontinued model meaning that the applied "Seiko-GS" fonts would be highly sought after by watch collectors Would you pay the same price for a new Snowflake devoid of 3 different styled fonts?
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 04:47 AM   #10
One Ping Only
"TRF" Member

Watch: several
I like the older version. The dial seems more balanced.
Old 11 July 2017, 09:32 AM   #11
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

First, I think the Snowflake would be a great addition to your collection. I love mine. The Spring Drive movement is really a marvel, and you don't need me to tell you how beautifully finished the entire watch is.

Regarding which model to get - SBGA011 or 211 - that's just down to personal preference. Personally, this is one model that I think looks better with the "Seiko" logo at 12 o'clock. It just seems more balanced to me.

Some pics of my little beauty...

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 12:19 PM   #12
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Thanks Meganfox17 for taking some time to point out the aesthetic difference between the two models. And as opined by DCheeta, I agree that it really boils down to personal taste and subjectivity.

From this thread, I am now convinced that a spring drive snowflake GS will be a good addition to my collection. For me, the prime drivers for wanting this watch are the movement (spring drive) and the snowflake (dial) which I believe are uniquely Seiko or Grand Seiko.

On the excellent points raised by Meganfox17, I do now see the differences particularly on the Applied Seiko logo and the three different fonts at 6' o'clock. And that down the road, it may be the ones preferred by collector.

For me, I am however a bit ambivalent on my feelings on those points. Is it a must to have? Maybe not in my case. The three different fonts are still present in the new model but scattered at 12 and 6 o'clock. For the Applied Seiko, I do have another Seiko watch that has the Applied logo, so not really a big deal.

On the dial balance as shared by DCheeta, I felt the the newer model works out fine on my eyes, probably because it was the first image that I saw compared to the old model.

I will definitely ponder on the comments received here and will decide soon. By way of an update, the Seiko Boutique that I have bought my two other pieces will have new arrivals of the GS 2017 model.

Old 11 July 2017, 01:28 PM   #13
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
The three different fonts were the most criticized aspect of the old models. Lets not lionize the old design. I agree some of the new ones are unbalanced, but that doesn't mean having every single dial element written differently is... something that people desire.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 02:43 PM   #14
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
The three different fonts were the most criticized aspect of the old models. Lets not lionize the old design. I agree some of the new ones are unbalanced, but that doesn't mean having every single dial element written differently is... something that people desire.
I don't see any problem with "lionizing" the old design if there are people that truly prefer it. It's all personal preferences anyways. Plenty of people desire the Daytona and Deepsea Sea Dweller, and both of those have even more lines of text with different font colors/styles/sizes.
Old 11 July 2017, 04:50 PM   #15
Star Ferry
Banned

I really like the snowflake but prefer some of the other JDM spring drive watches. brushed bracelets, lume, and (at least for 2/3) crown guards make these more wearable IMO

SBGA 347

SBGA281

SBGA275

Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 09:40 AM   #16
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
I don't see any problem with "lionizing" the old design if there are people that truly prefer it. It's all personal preferences anyways. Plenty of people desire the Daytona and Deepsea Sea Dweller, and both of those have even more lines of text with different font colors/styles/sizes.
I prefer the "just a Seiko" branding myself. But that doesn't make what was almost universally panned (their lack of font discipline) become a selling point after the fact. Literally NOBODY ever posted "I love all those non-matching fonts!". It was always a negative - until now it seems.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 09:52 AM   #17
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko / Seiko - What's your recommendation to complete a Trilogy

I am not familiar to the issue of fonts in this model or other Seiko model. What I saw in the newer model was an attempt to brand it properly and to finally agree on the use of Grand Seiko brand. I also see on the new model a cleaner dial at 6 o'clock. But then the issue of unbalanced dial keeps on cropping up in the discussion here or in other forum and I get the impression the other model becomes the preferred one and a collectible model, whichever comes first.

Perhaps I was never familiar with this model in the past so I guess I cannot see the issues raised on the newer model.

I have thought hard about this and I have decided to go for the newer model. There's an opportunity to get the older model from the grey market at roughly the same price of the new model but my heart is set on the new one. Time will tell if I made the right decision. Oh well this is a personal preference and definitely subjective.

Once again thanks for your contribution to the thread. The learnings shared are definitely awesome from my perspective.

Old 15 July 2017, 12:11 AM   #18
RanHong
"TRF" Member

SBGH243, a titanium high-beat would be a good option.
RanHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 01:49 AM   #19
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Prefer the old dial, better balanced IMO, and I am not a big fan of Seiko on the dial, but it looks much better
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 01:30 PM   #20
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
I am not familiar to the issue of fonts in this model or other Seiko model. What I saw in the newer model was an attempt to brand it properly and to finally agree on the use of Grand Seiko brand. I also see on the new model a cleaner dial at 6 o'clock. But then the issue of unbalanced dial keeps on cropping up in the discussion here or in other forum and I get the impression the other model becomes the preferred one and a collectible model, whichever comes first.

Perhaps I was never familiar with this model in the past so I guess I cannot see the issues raised on the newer model.

I have thought hard about this and I have decided to go for the newer model. There's an opportunity to get the older model from the grey market at roughly the same price of the new model but my heart is set on the new one. Time will tell if I made the right decision. Oh well this is a personal preference and definitely subjective.

Once again thanks for your contribution to the thread. The learnings shared are definitely awesome from my perspective.

Great choice! Really can't go wrong with either and ultimately which dial one likes all comes down to personal preferences. Post photos of your new watch when you receive it!
Old 16 July 2017, 10:40 PM   #21
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Thanks SSCosmo!

Old 17 July 2017, 10:56 AM   #22
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanHong View Post
I'll 2nd that. My SBGJ011 Hi-Beat GMT gets a lot of wrist time.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 11:09 AM   #23
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
I'll 2nd that. My SBGJ011 Hi-Beat GMT gets a lot of wrist time.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 07:51 PM   #24
osamu
"TRF" Member

I am still torn if I like the new just "Grand Seiko" logo.

I feel like I love it on some of the newer more dressy models, like the SBGR305, or the just "Grand Seiko" (no GS) on the SBGW251.

I think the gothic font of the "Grand Seiko" and "GS" works well on dress watches, but looks out of place on more sporty watches, especially the diver and chronograph models.

In the end, I was never that big of a fan of the mismatched font or having the same Seiko logo on my GS as my SKX007, so I don't mind the change. With the snowflake, assuming both were priced exactly the same, I would probably go for the new logo.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2017, 02:55 PM   #25
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osamu View Post
Me Too. Need to see in person.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2017, 10:30 AM   #26
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osamu View Post

I feel like I love it on some of the newer more dressy models, like the SBGR305, or the just "Grand Seiko" (no GS) on the SBGW251.

I think the gothic font of the "Grand Seiko" and "GS" works well on dress watches, but looks out of place on more sporty watches, especially the diver and chronograph models.

In the end, I was never that big of a fan of the mismatched font or having the same Seiko logo on my GS as my SKX007, so I don't mind the change. With the snowflake, assuming both were priced exactly the same, I would probably go for the new logo.

Thanks for your inputs! I love the snowflake dial. I may go for the new model though I was told would $300 more expensive than the old model.

The addition of a snowflake would definitely complete my own Seiko trilogy of a 253 and a 017.

Old 22 July 2017, 04:49 AM   #27
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
I dont have pictures of that model but the GM of the Seiko boutique graciously posted some photos of the new GS Diver SBGH 257It's really expensive something like a grand cheaper than a DSSD black dial
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 10:45 AM   #28
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

I was just asking my AD here about the SBGH257. They said they're likely going to receive it in August. I look forward to seeing it in-person.

I am a big GS fan, but as they increase prices and get closer to Rolex prices, they are losing one of their biggest selling points to me - very high value for the price compared to any other luxury watch brand. The SBGH257 is a good example. It's a very nice looking watch and probably as over-engineered as a DSSD, and better finished in some ways, but at about the same price as a DSSD, (depending on what kind of discount you can get on each) even I would have to think hard about which one to get.
Old 23 July 2017, 09:33 AM   #29
rhairman
"TRF" Member

SBGH 257 is really a great watch. Mine is number 83/500

rhairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 11:24 PM   #30
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhairman View Post
SBGH 257 is really a great watch. Mine is number 83/500

Thank you for your inputs.