The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 July 2018, 11:08 AM   #181
Kingfish01
"TRF" Member

Collectible things today are those did not sell in large number in the past, or those that weren’t preserved (1950s baseball cards). Things that are beloved and sell in large numbers aren’t going to appreciate as much because there are lots of them. Anyone here ever bought the “nurse” GI Joe from the 60s? No self respecting 10 yo boy would buy one. Check what they’re selling for
Kingfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 11:50 PM   #182
vivicorsi
Banned

exactly. today there are too many people in the market just to make a quick buck. the 4k escaped from that hype. it might take a few years for it to skyrocket, but it sure will. collectors who have been in the game for some time know that. and at least those i know, have bought one. people want what is rare. take the 126600. the run on the crownless model will begin now. soon they will hit prices war way from the sd50 with the crown. of course we all say that it doesnt matter to us. but human psychy isn't that difficult.
part of rolex success is the fact that they keep their value on the greymarket. rolex is fully aware of that. and even if the say they dont want the greymarket, they know that part of their customers by rolexes because it makes them feel good knowing they buy a watch that will retain its value. remember the milgauss, the rare model nobody wanted some time ago?....well have a look. rare means future collectors value. thats a fact. and it beeing hated now just contributes to a future love affair.
vivicorsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 12:35 AM   #183
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Or maybe the market will peak and fall back. In the end, nothing inflates for ever, except, perhaps, the Universe.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 01:28 AM   #184
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
[QUOTE=lhawli;8200991]In relative terms, it wasn’t the most successful model and most people preferred the Sub. I don’t see that changing at all and now with the new SD43, the ones with bigger wrists have that to chose from where is the Sub is still the most popular.

PS. Not directed at OP but I’m really perplexed by the fascination people have with the thought of investments in watches. Even the LVc, BLNR, SD43 and DayC can still be had at MSRP. Only reason people paying over is the fact that they are not patient enough to wait for it at an AD. And if i think of the Pepsi, Coke and Kermit - they went up in value but after how many year and by how much? I can think of a few better ways to invest your $10k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUO

I do not think that the people invest on watches.. They use that reason for an excuse to get another one! Plus, most of us we sit in front of an office all day long, so sure enough it becomes an addiction :) Plus, you need no maintenance to own a watch :)
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 01:49 AM   #185
vivicorsi
Banned

i think it is a wonderful way to buy watches and feel good about it...or tell your wife it is an investment! ;)
Old 23 July 2018, 02:26 AM   #186
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Probably for similar reasons why the 5 and 6 digit platinum SS YachtMaster models haven’t seen much appreciation. The demand isn’t greater than supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoddu View Post
After scrolling through the "Modified Rolex" thread and seeing everybody post pictures of their Rolex without a Cyclops as well as the current SS boom we've had I'm curious...

Why hasn't the SD4K's value rose much? From my knowledge it appears to be a short production run for the world of Rolex ('14-'17)?

Would love to hear opinions as to why you believe the value hasn't gone crazy the past few months, and do you think it will ever?

Happy Friday!
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 06:50 AM   #187
hhtwaijri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
You could buy SD4k's in the $7500 range a year and a half ago, all day long. If thats not skyrocketing, I don't know what is.

They're selling for $11k plus now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hhtwaijri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 01:36 PM   #188
16610v
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
The price of SD4000 raise already. I think it looks quite similar to sub date so a bit hard to raise the price to another level from the sub date price.
Old 4 August 2018, 07:29 AM   #189
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

I’ve been following this auction for the benefit of data for this thread. So many who talk about “asking” vs. actual sale prices to make arguments in one direction or the other. These are rarely put up for a bid auction so I decided to keep an eye on it.

Here is data, not fact or agenda.

This listing just ended eight minutes ago with 58 bids. I didn’t post the listing when it was active so as not to draw attention to it. This sd4k (116600), with no Reserve, sold for $9801.00. It does not have the warranty card and it’s used. The pictures show a good amount of wear consistent with regular use.

It’s a small sample size but it’s better than innuendo. $9801.00 used with no papers. Take from that what you will:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-Sea-Dwe...from=R40&rt=nc
Dusko.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 07:56 AM   #190
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I think you're probably right. I'm a die hard SD fan and love my SD4K but the reality is that it wasn't a good seller. I suspect it will boom in value many years from now as it was a relatively low volume model and very short production run. But will take a long time!!

The thing I've always found strange was the price complaint on this forum. I paid £6,900 for mine and a Sub at that point was £5,700 so I paid a £1,200 premium.

For me, the SD is a very different watch to the Sub. It has the escape valve, thicker case, deeper case-back, thicker crystal, no date magnifier, slimmer lugs, shaped crown guards, divers extension, waterfall bracelet, Aaron dial, and a far superior depth rating.

It may well be that lots of people don't care about these differences, or perhaps even worse, don't like them, but it does make it quite a different watch to look at and wear (I've previously owned a 116610 so feel well placed to comment).

Is £1,200 too much for these differences, maybe. But, it seems a tiny premium compared to the £600 premium people paid for a different colour bezel and dial for the LV over the standard LN...and yet I've never heard of anyone questioning the merit of paying that premium!

The facts speak for themselves, people weren't prepared to spend the extra cash on the SD...so I'm in a minority here...but it's a bugbear of mine nonetheless!!

Totally agree on how ditterent it looks and wears than a Sub from the same generation. Okay except one thing, personally I prefer a black shiny glossy dial, but I can live with that. One question though... What is a waterfall bracelet??? I have no clue....
Rolex.c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 10:11 AM   #191
vivicorsi
Banned

I put some on my watchlist on chrono24 .. and they are selling fast. Prices also have risen the last days. A new one with box and papers it now starting at 10600 euros. Glad I have mine but thinking about adding a second one. Such an iconic peace to me.
Old 4 August 2018, 10:24 AM   #192
cobramustang1993
"TRF" Member

SD43 Prices

My opinion,which may run counter to the few I have seen...is simple.....If you purchase a new or used rolex submariner/seadweller/etc... with FULL documentation,tags, boxes, booklets at a fair price (market or below)....You generally will be ahead and the watches WILL appreciate.....I bought a nice
Submariner from 1998 with all the goodies in 2014 for about 3200.00.....It seems that fully-documented ones are selling now anywhere from mid 5K and up.....It certainly has done better than money sitting in a savings account.....IMHO
cobramustang1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 05:17 AM   #193
kog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kog View Post
Well, fist off the price has shot up. I paid £6000 for mine two year ago, now I can't get one less than £8500 with box and papers. At the time of purchase they were going for about £7500 new.

Second, I here people saying it isn't sky rocketing in value because it wasn't a popular watch. That doesn't make sense in the world of collecting. Look at the SD Comex, not very popular but bloody rare and expensive now. The Daytona when it was first released was unloved, people were buying the much more popular, at the time, Omega Man on the moon.

The 116600 was a short production run, thats a big plus, they say it was unpopular thats a plus.
Back in January the SD4k was selling on chrono24 for about £8500, today it is on average selling for £10,000. If you know of an investment that's pays more than or close to the appreciation of the 116600 and almost risk free
please let us know what it is.
kog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 07:06 AM   #194
ExPADIdiver
"TRF" Member

After watching the market for a long time, I am about to dive in and find the best one for the least amount of money. It will still be a chunk of change. However, they have been stable for over a year now, so I have to suck it up and buy at current prices. I am posting a WTB as soon as I get confirmed.
ExPADIdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 08:01 AM   #195
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Happened up a NOS SD4K today in Burlington Arcade in Mayfair. Had the original rolex price tag on it (8,750) and then priced at 13.7k by the seller.......pass lol. Love the watch but not for that price!

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 08:18 AM   #196
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Probably because it’s not popular at all??
It never sold well and it never will...
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 10:50 AM   #197
blackhawks-fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Dial 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Because people do not want them?
blackhawks-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 10:51 AM   #198
blackhawks-fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Dial 216570
This
blackhawks-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 11:01 AM   #199
kzm40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex.c6 View Post
What is a waterfall bracelet??? I have no clue....
Its where the bracket end links extend beyond the lugs. The white and rose gold daytonas also do this.
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 12:21 PM   #200
kans86
"TRF" Member

Not skyrocketting, but price has been and I think will continue going up.
kans86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 02:50 PM   #201
Muxi
"TRF" Member

It’s a good watch
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 05:16 PM   #202
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoddu View Post
After scrolling through the "Modified Rolex" thread and seeing everybody post pictures of their Rolex without a Cyclops as well as the current SS boom we've had I'm curious...

Why hasn't the SD4K's value rose much? From my knowledge it appears to be a short production run for the world of Rolex ('14-'17)?

Would love to hear opinions as to why you believe the value hasn't gone crazy the past few months, and do you think it will ever?

Happy Friday!
IMO for a modern watch to be hot now, it had to be hot when in production. Maybe in 20 years, but then its a different type of collector.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 06:00 PM   #203
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I believe the main factor behind the high prices being paid today for the "Paul Newman'' era Daytonas, 1970s Explorer IIs and the original Milgauss models is that they were made in small numbers, and that this was because they were unpopular to begin with.

It is the relative scarcity of these models which has contributed to their price rises, not their popularity, and I believe this is what the OP was getting at.

Mind you, it took 30-40 years, so I guess pondering the question now, after just a couple of years, looks very premature (even if prices have already started to rise).
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 09:28 PM   #204
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
People are wrong to assume the SD4K is a doggy model when it is so similar to a sub. It is bound to be a hot, hard to find piece down the line. Just not yet.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 09:55 PM   #205
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
People are wrong to assume the SD4K is a doggy model when it is so similar to a sub. It is bound to be a hot, hard to find piece down the line. Just not yet.

This could be the case but I think because its similarity to the sub (the iconic Rolex) and with the SD43, the bigger case, it leaves the SD4K in an awkward position.

Old 29 September 2018, 10:36 PM   #206
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You could buy SD4k's in the $7500 range a year and a half ago, all day long. If thats not skyrocketing, I don't know what is.

This! It was considerably gone up.

Got a sub over this which was only a few hundred more at the time - tough decision in retrospect.

People love responding to the tone of a thread! If the OP posted “why has the sd4k sky rocketed”, same people would have made up an opinion as to why

Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 01:23 AM   #207
mrhoju
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520, 15202ST
I think this will be a hot watch in a few years and there aren't that many on the market today. Had an opportunity to buy this at list right when the replacement 43 came out. Kicking myself still for passing on that.
mrhoju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 01:30 AM   #208
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarosh View Post
Happened up a NOS SD4K today in Burlington Arcade in Mayfair. Had the original rolex price tag on it (8,750) and then priced at 13.7k by the seller.......pass lol. Love the watch but not for that price!
13.7k will seem like a bargain next year.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 01:30 AM   #209
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
if you bought it at retail you just recovered some loss. Its still not a huge net positive as far as value retention at this point as retail was not $7500
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 1 October 2018, 01:32 AM   #210
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarosh View Post
they are way, way high on everything. Great place to browse because nothing is flying off the shelves at those prices.