The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 September 2018, 06:43 PM   #1
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLNR
Bringing back Rolex and Omega watch to the US what to expect?

I'm bringing back a speedmaster and a gmt ii back to the US tomorrow.
What should I expect in terms of duty tax?
I've read people saying it's 1-5% or 3%.
Will I have any issues bringing 2 watches in?
Also, the AD in Budapest is sending me the box for the gmt ii. They have the watch only in the see thru travel case to save some space for luggage.

Any input or advise would be great especially from those who've done it before thanks in advance!
lilokito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 07:16 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

its not cost prohibitive in the US for sure after getting a Europe VAT refund and you are coming out ahead.

Good for you for doing it the right way though
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 09:26 PM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...toms-duty-info
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 10:25 PM   #4
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
You'll save 20% VAT and then pay something like a 3% import tax to the US. Win/win.
Old 17 September 2018, 10:47 PM   #5
rom33
2024 Pledge Member

Assuming the watches are stainless steel the tax is 2.5-3%.
Be sure to have the receipts. The officers charged me 6% when I could not produce the receipts. They claimed the watches contained precious metals and jewels although they were stainless steel.
Fortunately with the help of my local congressman I did receive a refund.
The customs officers apparently have little oversight on what is charged in certain airports.
Best of luck.
rom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 11:00 PM   #6
alphasports
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't pay a penny because I wouldn't declare them, they waste enough of my taxes. Ship the boxes/packaging from abroad by slow-boat, wear one watch, keep the other in your carry on.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 11:01 PM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasports View Post
I wouldn't pay a penny because I wouldn't declare them, they waste enough of my taxes. Ship the boxes/packaging from abroad by slow-boat, wear one watch, keep the other in your carry on.

Its illegal full stop and never OK to break the law because you disagree with it.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 17 September 2018, 11:03 PM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

So you are advocating committing a federal crime?

Possible penalties for smuggling include seizure, fines and imprisonment. All for some jewelry, got it!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 11:10 PM   #9
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

Its illegal full stop and never OK to break the law because you disagree with it.
While your point is well taken, and I agree in principle in this case, history is filled with examples of great people disregarding laws with which they fundamentally disagreed.
Cloudchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 11:18 PM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudchaser View Post
While your point is well taken, and I agree in principle in this case, history is filled with examples of great people disregarding laws with which they fundamentally disagreed.
yes there were some truly inspiring acts of civil disobedience i can think of, complaining about import fees isnt that.
Old 17 September 2018, 11:21 PM   #11
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stupid, just stupid
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 11:29 PM   #12
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Again, regarding these import taxes in this case, I agree. But dumping tea in the harbor, as it were, is part of our history.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Old 17 September 2018, 11:34 PM   #13
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilokito View Post
I'm bringing back a speedmaster and a gmt ii back to the US tomorrow.
What should I expect in terms of duty tax?
I've read people saying it's 1-5% or 3%.
Will I have any issues bringing 2 watches in?
Also, the AD in Budapest is sending me the box for the gmt ii. They have the watch only in the see thru travel case to save some space for luggage.

Any input or advise would be great especially from those who've done it before thanks in advance!
I bought my first Rolex in Austria 3 years ago and tried my hardest to properly pay duty tax.
I meticulously filled out all forms, etc., and Customs wanted nothing to do with it. They didn't give a single hoot about the loot that I was bringing back. So VAT free, Customs free, and LEGAL.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 12:13 AM   #14
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
I bought my first Rolex in Austria 3 years ago and tried my hardest to properly pay duty tax.
I meticulously filled out all forms, etc., and Customs wanted nothing to do with it. They didn't give a single hoot about the loot that I was bringing back. So VAT free, Customs free, and LEGAL.
that's what I'm hoping for! I'd rather pay the small tax than risk being caught. Plus we have laws in place for us to follow. So no to illegal stuff. I have the receipts so hopefully no problems there.
Old 18 September 2018, 12:17 AM   #15
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
So you ran into one or even possibly more than one individual who was lazy and didn't want to do their job. Personally I've run into many lazy people in my lifetime. I've also encountered a number of dishonest people in my travels as well.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 01:29 AM   #16
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Again, regarding these import taxes in this case, I agree. But dumping tea in the harbor, as it were, is part of our history.

Good one. That one was pretty inspiring.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 04:10 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Not even a close analogy. Tea taxes were levied by one country on another, not properly legislated as import duty is.

"Taxation without representation" is far different than legal tax statutes and can result in federal charges or fines.

I'm sure that shop lifters think the big retailer makes enough money too, but it's still a crime.
Old 18 September 2018, 04:15 AM   #18
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Pay your due taxes and avoid being caught committing a Federal crime and then getting deep rectal exams each and every time you travel and re-enter the country.
It’s 3% and I have had times I was getting ready to pull out my credit card and have been waived through.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 04:25 AM   #19
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Pay your due taxes and avoid being caught committing a Federal crime and then getting deep rectal exams each and every time you travel and re-enter the country.
It’s 3% and I have had times I was getting ready to pull out my credit card and have been waived through.
Word!

I was all set to pay up.

They waived me on by. It could have been to not slow down my EPIC Global Entry cruise through customs. Maybe they only snag the slow pokes in the regular lines. I think I was sub 7 minutes from stepping off the plane, through customs, and rolling out with my checked bags.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 04:32 AM   #20
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
Best way to do it.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 04:32 AM   #21
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Not even a close analogy. Tea taxes were levied by one country on another, not properly legislated as import duty is.

"Taxation without representation" is far different than legal tax statutes and can result in federal charges or fines.

I'm sure that shop lifters think the big retailer makes enough money too, but it's still a crime.
I was only really replying to the absoluteness ("never") of the original statement; the rest is in fun and not really a serious analogy. I don't actually have strong opinions either way, though I err on the side of tax legality.

Old 18 September 2018, 04:41 AM   #22
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Thank you.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 06:49 AM   #23
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Here's the update on my customs experience!

I got to the airport and declared the watch. The first officer kept telling me not to lie, which was odd but I told him I am already declaring the watch so I have no intention of lying. He didn't really know what he was doing since he was more of a runner and not the customs guy. After going back and forth with him he was sent out by his supervisor (thank goodness, since he was very grumpy). Another officer handled my declaration and basically just said "thank you for your honesty" and marked my boarding pass and gave me my passport back. So in short I did declare it even though I probably would not have been checked. And the officer waived me thru!

The officer did explain to me that the duty to be paid is in the discretion of the officer as well. They can charge you duty for the full price and not the price without the VAT. So good luck with who you get and hope that it's a good and fair officer. If you get lucky like me, they can waive you off.
Old 21 September 2018, 07:23 AM   #24
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilokito View Post
Here's the update on my customs experience!

I got to the airport and declared the watch. The first officer kept telling me not to lie, which was odd but I told him I am already declaring the watch so I have no intention of lying. He didn't really know what he was doing since he was more of a runner and not the customs guy. After going back and forth with him he was sent out by his supervisor (thank goodness, since he was very grumpy). Another officer handled my declaration and basically just said "thank you for your honesty" and marked my boarding pass and gave me my passport back. So in short I did declare it even though I probably would not have been checked. And the officer waived me thru!

The officer did explain to me that the duty to be paid is in the discretion of the officer as well. They can charge you duty for the full price and not the price without the VAT. So good luck with who you get and hope that it's a good and fair officer. If you get lucky like me, they can waive you off.
That is so crazy. You declare it and calls you a liar. Amazing.
I hope I have the same end luck as you in a week and a half. It’s happened before where they have waived me on.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 09:48 AM   #25
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You’re going to want to tuck it up your rear. Be sure to keep a straight face. Watch blow and write down tips from Johnny Depp.
Old 22 September 2018, 01:21 AM   #26
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You’re going to want to tuck it up your rear. Be sure to keep a straight face. Watch blow and write down tips from Johnny Depp.
you stayed out late celebrating the Brown’s epic victory, yeah?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 02:18 AM   #27
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
stay relaxed no cold sweats!
Old 22 September 2018, 02:20 AM   #28
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
That is so crazy. You declare it and calls you a liar. Amazing.
I hope I have the same end luck as you in a week and a half. It’s happened before where they have waived me on.
yeah first guy was so grumpy and he didn't know what he was doing either good thing he got tossed back out. he's probably unhappy with what he's doing so he's taking it out on other people. lol! anyway good luck to you sir when you come back I hope you get waived off again so no duty! What watch are you planning to bring back?