The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 September 2018, 03:04 PM   #1
JayBlack
"TRF" Member

I am done!!! (Or am I?)

I have had it with these stupid waitlists! I have decided I'm not buying any rolex until prices become normal again. I have my SS Daytona and YG president and that will have to do for now. Most of my friends already switched to AP and others. I'm going to follow. I really hate the fact that I'm paying 10k+ on a watch and they try to give u a feeling as if they are doing u a favour by allowing you to buy. Well I say let them choke on their stock and I would rather walk around with a cheap Chinese fake on my wrist than paying those absurd prices or wait 700 trillion years for a stupid watch! (Ok I wouldn't be caught dead with a fake but just saying it for the drama of it).
What do u think?
JayBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 03:20 PM   #2
peterpl
Banned

I know many moving to AP/IWC/JLC/Lange and other brands as well. All these wait-lists etc...all bullshit.

Tired of all these games. Rolex is NOT the only good watch brand. Many others make spectacular watches.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 03:22 PM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
I'm glad I got mine years ago. I feel for you guys, this just has to suck. But yeah I wouldn't want to be a buyer during these awful times.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 03:23 PM   #4
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
I know many moving to AP/IWC/JLC/Lange and other brands as well. All these wait-lists etc...all bullshit.

Tired of all these games. Rolex is NOT the only good watch brand. Many others make spectacular watches.
But even those brands have hard to get models! 5711 is an example
I think it’s a strategy those companies follow to create interest and hype!
Old 20 September 2018, 03:26 PM   #5
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Every brand as hard to get pieces. Rolex is making almost EVERY watch hard to get even PM pieces now are increasing in price I noticed and getting harder to get. Crazy.

Precious Metal SkyD in YG is now asking over $37k. I bought these last year at $32k BNIB.

YG DD40 are now $29k - $30k. It wasnt that price 12-24 months ago.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 03:28 PM   #6
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
I can’t argue with you since you speak the truth, however, the demand is there and people want their Rolexes! You’ve got you Daytona and Pres so good luck transitioning to other brands. I give my wait for the BLNR 6 months before I go elsewhere.
JonaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 03:28 PM   #7
mrhanzdotcom
Banned

Watch: 14060 116710BLNR
Agree. I am moving back to AP soon.
mrhanzdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 04:02 PM   #8
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBlack View Post
I have had it with these stupid waitlists! I have decided I'm not buying any rolex until prices become normal again. I have my SS Daytona and YG president and that will have to do for now. Most of my friends already switched to AP and others. I'm going to follow. I really hate the fact that I'm paying 10k+ on a watch and they try to give u a feeling as if they are doing u a favour by allowing you to buy. Well I say let them choke on their stock and I would rather walk around with a cheap Chinese fake on my wrist than paying those absurd prices or wait 700 trillion years for a stupid watch! (Ok I wouldn't be caught dead with a fake but just saying it for the drama of it).
What do u think?

You have two great watches already, congrats!!!
I personnally think that it’s good that people are switching to other brands: People like me will get faster the watches we are waiting for...
If you are not passionate about Rolex; if you truly don’t love the Rolex-watches, you shouldn’t spend your hard earned money buying R-watches. Actually quite simple: you feel it or you don’t. Following your heart is the only option with the watches aswell.
I happen to love the Rolex brand: history, different models, stories, quality... For me it is not a big deal to wait for some models that I want. It’s actually exciting. I enjoy the hunt!
All the best: there are plenty of other great brands out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 04:04 PM   #9
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
It's a totally understandable frustration. It seems like a shortsighted policy by Rolex, as they are losing some long-time customers. But maybe all the hype is making up for them.

I guess time will tell, so to speak.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 04:26 PM   #10
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Grand Seiko don’t have any hard to get models, at least not yet anyway.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 05:20 PM   #11
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I think I’ll be the same very soon. Already have my BLNR for casual and then looking to add the white OP39 for work. Should do me for a very long time! Lol. Until the wife allows me to buy the blue leather daydate. Lol.

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 05:28 PM   #12
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
At this point I've allocated a part of the budget for a SS BLRO (whenever I get that phone call, haha). After that I am saving my bullets for some other pieces that are not Rolex... I have a feeling if Rolex releases anything new next year that really catches my eye it will be years until I get it on my wrist.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 06:07 PM   #13
gman5515
"TRF" Member

i can certainly understand collector's & customers frustrations. I too, desire certain popular models, and whilst I do have some models which I am waiting for, for sure many frustrated customers will seek other brands out there. But I've heard real owner's stories(and even owned an AP myself), with after-sales and reliability being quite a major issue, even the lead time, availability of parts being a frustrating situation as well. I've heard certain brands take up to 6 months just to have a watch serviced.

Of course, that's not to say Rolex/Tudor are without problems either.. but the percentage of and general reliability has been overall more than acceptable, in my humble opinion.

I do find the waiting game somewhat frustrating as well. But like wooing a girl, good things come to those who wait. and the general demand for a good product which is acceptably reliable, to me is a good thing. it proves they have a good product.

I know not many will agree with me, but in my opinion, I feel the global demand (especially in China market alone) for Rolexes is just not enough for their factory production. Imagine if just 0.1% of China's population(1.379 Billion) is into Rolex watches, that's roughly 1.379 Million consumers. what about the rest of the globe?
Old 20 September 2018, 06:11 PM   #14
Manu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 | LVc | SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post

You have two great watches already, congrats!!!
I personnally think that it’s good that people are switching to other brands: People like me will get faster the watches we are waiting for...
If you are not passionate about Rolex; if you truly don’t love the Rolex-watches, you shouldn’t spend your hard earned money buying R-watches. Actually quite simple: you feel it or you don’t. Following your heart is the only option with the watches aswell.
I happen to love the Rolex brand: history, different models, stories, quality... For me it is not a big deal to wait for some models that I want. It’s actually exciting. I enjoy the hunt!
All the best: there are plenty of other great brands out there!

Agree 100%
Manu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 07:21 PM   #15
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
I'm sure glad I'm not buying in this time of wait lists and bundling. I don't blame the frustration on getting a watch these days!
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 07:30 PM   #16
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBlack View Post
What do u think?
I'm with you brother!
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 07:35 PM   #17
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Rolex doesn't really care. If their numbers make sense on the bottomline theyll keep doing it.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 07:39 PM   #18
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

I had the chance to spend either 17.5K on a Daytona C or 14K on a AP that was worth 16K (still with stickers on etc) and I just couldn't pull the trigger paying almost 100% markup on the Daytona, not to mention that the finishing and quality of AP is way ahead of Rolex, so was more than happy pulling the trigger on the AP.

I'm sure this non sense will soon work it's way to AP like it has done for Rolex and PP
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 08:19 PM   #19
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I understand and think that your feelings toward the brand are justified.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 09:10 PM   #20
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
Just wait for the next financial crash.
We're in boom times right now but it won't always be like this.
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 09:15 PM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
There are a lot of very fine and beautiful watches out there.

Throwing a tantrum because you cannot get a piece of high end luxury jewelry is well, absurd.

Good luck.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 09:43 PM   #22
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
Just wait for the next financial crash.
We're in boom times right now but it won't always be like this.

Exactly.. Wait. I never buy MSRP. Just wait... Most of the new proud owners cannot afford their watches, and that will show pretty soon.

nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 09:49 PM   #23
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhanzdotcom View Post
Agree. I am moving back to AP soon.
please let us know what they say when you ask for a 15202 or 15407

If you want a millenary you are fine. A 15400 is just as hard as a regular sub these days and a blue dial is like getting a hulk

Im mystified why people think you can just switch brands and its automatically better. I would love to have some of those AP's, but my AD doesnt sell them and the boutique is a non starter. If you prefer AP fine, but moving for the sake of availability makes no sense.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 09:57 PM   #24
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

I wonder how many of these guys who are done with Rolex are just talking tough or have actually said that and called their ADs and taken themselves off the list?

So OP did you remove your name from the lists?
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 10:01 PM   #25
0miles
Banned

The Rolex just a better marketing system as to why they have such rush, not like you cant get other watches even better than Rolex.
0miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 10:05 PM   #26
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Agree with the OP about the state of Rolex.

I do not consider AP a Rolex substitute.
Grand seiko or omega, even panerai would be instead of Rolex but buying AP is like cutting your nose to spite your face, they are in a different price point. a considerable reason Rolex is successful is because of the price point they fall in (which is being crushed by the current secondary market) Hence the frustration being heard around the world.
Old 20 September 2018, 10:07 PM   #27
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
One thing I've learnt about the waiting is you don't make an impulsive purchase. You have plenty of time to read reviews, watch videos and make up your mind. I'm now thinking of pulling my name off the list for the steel BLRO ceramic.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 10:36 PM   #28
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Makes sense. Frustrating times for sure.
I'll continue to test my patience.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 10:51 PM   #29
Noahwalt
Banned

Most people just feel it has to be a Rolex and nothing else, and that's partly the reason for the rush, while there are great and cheaper watches out there to give you same satisfaction.
Noahwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 10:55 PM   #30
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Makes sense. Frustrating times for sure.
I'll continue to test my patience.
Agreed. I echo a lot of your dissatisfaction with the current game that Rolex and others keep playing. But I think tides will turn (especially with the next recession) and hopefully (fingers crossed) things will even out.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote