The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 September 2018, 05:43 AM   #1
JustWatches2018
"TRF" Member

Cellini Moonphase

Hi everyone,

Curious on your thoughts around the Cellini Moonphase in rose gold. How do you all think this compares to PP, IWC, Arnold and Son, etc.

Why is this watch less desirable? Do they hold value well like other Rolex's or more like a datejust?

Thanks for the help/input.
JustWatches2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 07:00 AM   #2
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Nice watch for 15K..but 26K...well...
I think you can get them down closer to 22K though...but even then..
I actually luv the watch..and want it..but..22K on a good day...
I would have to be in 1 hell of a great mood to release those kind of funds for that watch..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 12:18 PM   #3
amilch
"TRF" Member

I m on the fence as well. I really like the moonphase but just can’t see my self pulling the trigger. I ve been very close. For some reason this piece doesn’t get that much love.
amilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 12:24 PM   #4
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
All my watches are Rolex, with the exception of a Rose Gold JLC MUT Moonphase (Diamond bezel). I did consider the Cellini at the same time, but found the JLC a far superior piece in all ways, and I love the open back too. Simply stunning and elegant.Was quite an easy decision for me, despite my love of all things "Rolex".
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 12:30 PM   #5
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

A beautiful watch but for a fraction of the price I would go with iwc or jlc
And no, they don’t hold their value well at all!
Old 21 September 2018, 12:43 PM   #6
pandrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I looked at Cellini, looked again, wanted to purchase one but in the end went with a Lange instead.
pandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 02:41 PM   #7
dubins930
2024 Pledge Member

You can get a dress piece on a different horological level for that price. Calatrava, Saxonia , etc. Rolex just cant compare at that level.
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 08:06 PM   #8
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Comparing "apples with apples" rather than with oranges, I would have thought the Cellini was very competitive with any comparable watch by other quality makers.
I think it is beautiful and if I were in the market for that kind of watch in that price category I would choose the Cellini.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 08:37 PM   #9
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I really like the line-up of Cellini watches but the prices, pitiful resale and so many options from other manufactures have never allowed me to purchase the watch. Even if you get a great deal from a retailer or TS then cross reference it with a trade value to a different TS and you will get your feelings hurt as well as your wallet.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 01:37 AM   #10
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
It’s very beautiful.
Old 22 September 2018, 01:47 AM   #11
ahlee00023
"TRF" Member

As many have posted, Cellinis are nice watches... but for that price I definitely prefer a Calatrava or a Saxonia.
ahlee00023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 01:47 AM   #12
R!$
Banned

rolex is nowhere near as good as PP

cellini are dogs and depreciate more than DJ because they are very unpopular

It is undesirable because people prefer SS sports models
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 03:11 AM   #13
JustWatches2018
"TRF" Member

Thanks all! I am going to check out the different brands you all mentioned!
JustWatches2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 03:55 AM   #14
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Comparing "apples with apples" rather than with oranges...
What would a valid comparison be, if not by price? Apples to apples, you can get a nicer watch from a more prestigious brand for the same price.

And to be clear, I think the Cellini line is lovely. If a used one came my way that put it at a more competitive pricing level, i'd consider it.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 06:02 AM   #15
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Comparing "apples with apples" rather than with oranges, I would have thought the Cellini was very competitive with any comparable watch by other quality makers.
I think it is beautiful and if I were in the market for that kind of watch in that price category I would choose the Cellini.
Precisely. This is the reason I got it. Try obtaining it from an AD and you will see how easy that would be.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 06:04 AM   #16
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
What would a valid comparison be, if not by price? Apples to apples, you can get a nicer watch from a more prestigious brand for the same price.

And to be clear, I think the Cellini line is lovely. If a used one came my way that put it at a more competitive pricing level, i'd consider it.
Get into details and enlighten us which would that more prestigious brands be? And mind you compare apples with apples.
Old 22 September 2018, 06:07 AM   #17
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
The recent Cellini moonphase was the first watch from the Cellini line that really caught my interest. I think it's a beautiful watch, and with an appropriate discount, a fair price for what you're getting.

That being said, I've already put a decent amount of money (relatively speaking!) into my Rolex collection on other watches in the sports/professional category. If I am shopping in that price range for a dress watch, I'd much rather diversify my collection a bit and use it as an opportunity to take a break from Rolex. Lange is the first name that comes to mind for me. Currently love the Saxonia I bought two years ago -- think the next realistic purchase from them would be what got me into the brand, the Lange 1. What I really want is a Datograph Up/Down.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:13 AM   #18
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post

I recently made something of a shocker of a trade for my Moonphase. Given that I have several other SS pieces I find this to be a fantastic add to my collection. It is the first true "dress" watch I have owned (all others SSS). I find it to be well proportioned, very well appointed, quite elegant, but yet with the non-traditional moon phase aperture its a grownup bada$$ with a youthful side. I am still quite pleased with this acquisition. All in I'm at $21,5 for this. Pricey yes, but I like it.....a lot. And for the record, "Dog" is the last word I would use to describe this piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moonII-LR.jpg (156.6 KB, 287 views)
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:20 AM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWatches2018 View Post
Hi everyone,

Curious on your thoughts around the Cellini Moonphase in rose gold. How do you all think this compares to PP, IWC, Arnold and Son, etc.

Why is this watch less desirable? Do they hold value well like other Rolex's or more like a datejust?

Thanks for the help/input.
while i dont dislike the Cellini, i would take a dress watch from any of the above mentioned brands or ALS or VC or maybe JLC before i bought the Rolex.

Its a dress watch from a sports watch company vs the others being primarily from dress watch companies. Specialization in a specific style of watch is preferred and to me it shows in the fit, finish and feel. To me the draw of the Cellini is its a dress watch for someone who has to have a Rolex.

Kind of like why buy a Jules Audemars from AP. Hardly anyone does and they are great looking watches, but they are more of a sports watch brand these days. I think i have seen one in an AD once. Maybe the boutiques stock them, but no one else seems to bother.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:24 AM   #20
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

What strikes me is that some members seem to lack any real knowledge of the Cellini range; they are easily the equal of their competitors, in my experience. And will, probably last longer, and be more easily serviced.
The rivals depreciate as much, or more, and are often more expensive...any equivalent ALS for instance, is more costly . People who actually own a Cellini know the truth , but they are rarely found on watch forums. These are beautifully made, first-class watches. I've owned several and loved them.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:25 AM   #21
archer1021
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!
I just bought this piece. 26k list

Got it for 23.5k new

Super elegant
archer1021 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:28 AM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
What strikes me is that some members seem to lack any real knowledge of the Cellini range; they are easily the equal of their competitors, in my experience. And will, probably last longer, and be more easily serviced.
The rivals depreciate as much, or more, and are often more expensive...any equivalent ALS for instance, is more costly . People who actually own a Cellini know the truth , but they are rarely found on watch forums. These are beautifully made, first-class watches. I've owned several and loved them.
a Calatrava and a Cellini not even close, at all. As to resale, i have no idea as most people dont flip dress watches.

Servicing, yeah Patek takes a while. For a dress watch i would be less concerned because its not an every day, hard wearing watch to me so that advantage is mitigated a bit.

The thing to me is that there really are so many choices in dress watches. I find it easier to find dress watches i like than sports watches but i dont need a dress watch particularly. Despite the fact dress watches are a tough sell these days, there are a ton of great options to choose from. Its surprising really.

Lange 1 is probably my favorite.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 25 September 2018, 04:48 AM   #23
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
Just to add to what you’ve said already. What amazes me as well is that there are many people here that first of all show lack of knowledge concerning prices and secondly compare incomparable brands. Rolex is amongst, sorry in its own league where majority of pieces made tend to keep their value even after being in usage for quite some time. There is no other brand like that! Some, members here mention that one may get an equal or better piece at lower or equal to price of Moonphase. If somebody says something of that nature it means i was either in the bush for a while or these people just read excerpts from somewhere, without any real info behind.
Old 25 September 2018, 04:56 AM   #24
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominvicta View Post
Just to add to what you’ve said already. What amazes me as well is that there are many people here that first of all show lack of knowledge concerning prices and secondly compare incomparable brands. Rolex is amongst, sorry in its own league where majority of pieces made tend to keep their value even after being in usage for quite some time. There is no other brand like that! Some, members here mention that one may get an equal or better piece at lower or equal to price of Moonphase. If somebody says something of that nature it means i was either in the bush for a while or these people just read excerpts from somewhere, without any real info behind.
are you saying buying a cellini moonphase at retail and buying a calatrava at retail and the Rolex will retain more value? I dont know, but that seems off. Neither would be great though.
Old 25 September 2018, 05:09 AM   #25
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post

I wouldn’t call anyone’s watch a “dog”

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 05:16 AM   #26
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
This is an interesting dialog. I have a Calatrava that I wear for special occasions. I think it’s beautiful watch. I have 4 Rolex watches. I wear a Swiss Army most of the time.

I think image plays a huge part in watch selection. To me, the Patek image is one of dressy sophisticated elegance. The Rolex image is one of rugged engineering excellence. Each company seems to advertise to their strengths. Most of the Rolex ads I see show successful people doing sporty stuff. The Patek ads show rich people in safe relaxed settings. I can’t remember ever seeing an ad for Cellini.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 05:16 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladamir15 View Post
agreed.

I think he was referring to resale though, not the watch. All dress watches are dogs really in that sense. Normal and expected as its not a hot sports watch. I wouldn't buy any dress watch from any brand if it wasn't a keeper. If you are keeping it, doesnt matter.
Old 25 September 2018, 05:28 AM   #28
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
This is an interesting dialog. I have a Calatrava that I wear for special occasions. I think it’s beautiful watch. I have 4 Rolex watches. I wear a Swiss Army most of the time.

I think image plays a huge part in watch selection. To me, the Patek image is one of dressy sophisticated elegance. The Rolex image is one of rugged engineering excellence. Each company seems to advertise to their strengths. Most of the Rolex ads I see show successful people doing sporty stuff. The Patek ads show rich people in safe relaxed settings. I can’t remember ever seeing an ad for Cellini.
this is exactly what i was getting at. Most people into watches have 1 dress watch if any. More likely than not, they have a few sports watches and a Rolex is almost always one of them.

For your 1 dress watch why deprive yourself of owning a Patek or a Lange in particular as that is all Lange makes. PM, dressy watches and they are fabulous and also different than a Rolex. If you cant have every single watch, which no one can, then its about making that tradeoff and I just wouldn't get a Cellini. If i could have everything, then i would .
Old 25 September 2018, 05:45 AM   #29
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
are you saying buying a cellini moonphase at retail and buying a calatrava at retail and the Rolex will retain more value? I dont know, but that seems off. Neither would be great though.
This is what i mean. Get me a Calatrava with a moonphase indicator and a date and let’s start by comparing MSRP. Apple vs An Apple! And mind you Celini has a moon indicator made out of a chunk of meteorite and sky indicator is enamelled in blue. Buckle last but not least is a double one.
Old 25 September 2018, 06:23 AM   #30
Enoch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladamir15 View Post
Even these

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote