The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 6 December 2019, 03:45 AM   #241
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
No need, man. That one’s been resolved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a glaring omission in that lineup of usual suspects. Consider...

Eisenhower wore his Rolex DJ in office and wasn't assassinated.

JFK had a Rolex Day Date but he never wore it (sporting Omega, Cartier, Bulova etc instead) and was assassinated.

LBJ wore his Rolex Day Date in office and wasn't assassinated.

Combine those facts with how notoriously secretive Rolex is about their operations, and one has to wonder...
Old 6 December 2019, 04:10 AM   #242
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
There's a glaring omission in that lineup of usual suspects. Consider...

Eisenhower wore his Rolex DJ in office and wasn't assassinated.

JFK had a Rolex Day Date but he never wore it (sporting Omega, Cartier, Bulova etc instead) and was assassinated.

LBJ wore his Rolex Day Date in office and wasn't assassinated.

Combine those facts with how notoriously secretive Rolex is about their operations, and one has to wonder...
I was going to mention this too!
Old 6 December 2019, 04:33 AM   #243
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
This whole kerfuffle reminds me of the Daytona 'Texas Dial' thing. I don't think I've heard one word about them since the two big dogs settled their lawsuit.

Whatever happened to them? Buried at sea? Still in safes?
Looks like Antiquorum sold one in 2018 and listed the dial as "custom-made." Seems everyone has given up on the dream if even Antiquorum admits it

I agree though, this whole thing reminds me of Texas dials. Then, people regarded unapproved parts (even theoretically being made with real Singer cliches) as fake. And now some dealers want to say "you can't prove they weren't just made and sold out the back door at Singer!" as if that's as good as "real." The narrative seems to keep shifting from the believers.

If these are all service parts, as the theory goes, why have we never seen a single plastic clamshell parts case for one? And if they're not service parts, why didn't anyone see one before 2000 or so? 🤷
Old 6 December 2019, 04:44 AM   #244
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
If these are all service parts, as the theory goes, why have we never seen a single plastic clamshell parts case for one? And if they're not service parts, why didn't anyone see one before 2000 or so? ��
Wouldn't they have been stored in a tin, not plastic? And, what if they were never stored as service parts?

How do we know no one has seen them before 2000? Has that been established as fact or is it just as much hearsay as any other story behind these inserts?

Just playing devil's advocate here since there isn't much else going on right now.
Old 6 December 2019, 04:55 AM   #245
dhknola
"TRF" Member

These bezels are absolutely fake. The sellers did a hell of a marketing job by letting them drip versus flood out. Really glad the truth is out that these are just junk.
Old 6 December 2019, 05:23 AM   #246
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Looks like Antiquorum sold one in 2018 and listed the dial as "custom-made." Seems everyone has given up on the dream if even Antiquorum admits it
Well.. Does anyone expect good things at AQ? I expect problems on basically every watch they list. They sold off a ton of Rinaldi dials as well and first after being called out they called them ”custom” instead of all fake. It’s funny how people bash Phillips, Christies and Sorhebys when AQ basically commits fraud time and time again. They are worst of worst. Dealers included.
Old 6 December 2019, 06:10 AM   #247
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Wouldn't they have been stored in a tin, not plastic? And, what if they were never stored as service parts?

How do we know no one has seen them before 2000? Has that been established as fact or is it just as much hearsay as any other story behind these inserts?

Just playing devil's advocate here since there isn't much else going on right now.
There's none so blind as those that don't want to see. Sorry but they are all fakes.
Old 6 December 2019, 06:19 AM   #248
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPassion View Post
Did you escape through a back door from a research and development department?

Singer was an external supplier, a private company and the agreements were not with a thousand contracts and footnotes like today ......

Do you shut me up a color proof, after having done it you don't like it and you don't confirm the production?
Well , in the test I produced about 400 instead of the 150 you asked for and I sell these 400 to whoever I want and when I like ....
They didn't have to be accountable to Rolex if Rolex refused to produce such bezel
If I could make out what your are trying to demonstrate id make a fair and logical reply . thanks
Old 6 December 2019, 06:22 AM   #249
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie 50 View Post
There's none so blind as those that don't want to see. Sorry but they are all fakes.
Perhaps but this viewpoint could go both ways. For every person who claims they're fake and has no definitive evidence, an equal number of people will claim they're real with no definitive evidence. I'm not blind. I'm simply enjoying the debate.
Old 6 December 2019, 06:51 AM   #250
gsg
"TRF" Member

It is the believers who need to produce any tangible evidence that would support their claim that these are Rolex sponsored spare parts. In the absence of any real evidence, I will continue to believe these are fake!

Quote:
Perhaps but this viewpoint could go both ways. For every person who claims they're fake and has no definitive evidence, an equal number of people will claim they're real with no definitive evidence. I'm not blind. I'm simply enjoying the debate.
Old 6 December 2019, 06:59 AM   #251
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I am still curious about this story. I personally have a hard time believing any of the stories floating around about where they come from.

But, lets compare them to a similar item, the 60min bezel on the milsubs. What if no one knew about them and suddenly someone found a pile of them leftover at a service department in the UK. Some claim that the blueberry was i military special. As far as I know the 60min bezel is not seen anywhere except in MOD papers? No part number, no pictures in service manuals? The lack of supporting papers could be explained like that.

Of course, we do know about the milsubs because of the guys being issued them, and supporting letters from Rolex UK for instance. The complete lack of anything like that for the blueberry bezel inserts is what makes me think that they are at best some mistakes delivered to a service department somewhere in the 80s where they accidentally anodized the whole thing in blue that someone found 20 years ago.

We have a member here who a few years ago commented on them saying he had a bunch many years ago with a picture of them as far as i remember?
Old 6 December 2019, 06:59 AM   #252
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Old 6 December 2019, 07:05 AM   #253
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I am still curious about this story. I personally have a hard time believing any of the stories floating around about where they come from.

But, lets compare them to a similar item, the 60min bezel on the milsubs. What if no one knew about them and suddenly someone found a pile of them leftover at a service department in the UK. Some claim that the blueberry was i military special. As far as I know the 60min bezel is not seen anywhere except in MOD papers? No part number, no pictures in service manuals? The lack of supporting papers could be explained like that.

Of course, we do know about the milsubs because of the guys being issued them, and supporting letters from Rolex UK for instance. The complete lack of anything like that for the blueberry bezel inserts is what makes me think that they are at best some mistakes delivered to a service department somewhere in the 80s where they accidentally anodized the whole thing in blue that someone found 20 years ago.

We have a member here who a few years ago commented on them saying he had a bunch many years ago with a picture of them as far as i remember?
60 minute bezel insert DID in fact have a part code --- I think it might have been "5517 ac noir" but I had one supplied and fitted shortly after the millennium to one of my military 5513s and it is clearly specified on the Rolex UK paperwork.

Insta : haywood_milton_rolex
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Old 6 December 2019, 07:06 AM   #254
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Well.. Does anyone expect good things at AQ? I expect problems on basically every watch they list. They sold off a ton of Rinaldi dials as well and first after being called out they called them ”custom” instead of all fake. It’s funny how people bash Phillips, Christies and Sorhebys when AQ basically commits fraud time and time again. They are worst of worst. Dealers included.
AQ is so bad that I think fraud and bad watches are just part of their DNA now; AQ is where watches that get turned down seem to go.

With that said, I was intrigued by the Patek Proto that sold for 400k that apparently Patek wanted back.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pr...iquorum-geneva
Old 6 December 2019, 07:12 AM   #255
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
60 minute bezel insert DID in fact have a part code --- I think it might have been "5517 ac noir" but I had one supplied and fitted shortly after the millennium to one of my military 5513s and it is clearly specified on the Rolex UK paperwork.

Insta : haywood_milton_rolex
Oh, good to know!
Old 6 December 2019, 07:13 AM   #256
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Damn that’s sweet, the Patek not the fake insert
Old 6 December 2019, 07:15 AM   #257
southtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPassion View Post
Did you escape through a back door from a research and development department?

Singer was an external supplier, a private company and the agreements were not with a thousand contracts and footnotes like today ......

Do you shut me up a color proof, after having done it you don't like it and you don't confirm the production?
Well , in the test I produced about 400 instead of the 150 you asked for and I sell these 400 to whoever I want and when I like ....
They didn't have to be accountable to Rolex if Rolex refused to produce such bezel

Does that mean that you do not believe the story that they came from RSC NY and RSC Abu Dhabi?

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
Old 6 December 2019, 07:34 AM   #258
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Fascinating reading. I can't understand what possible reason the military would have for a blue bezel?! Someone please enlighten me as to why this was even a plausible story...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 7 December 2019, 03:31 AM   #259
79280_116520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
Fascinating reading. I can't understand what possible reason the military would have for a blue bezel?! Someone please enlighten me as to why this was even a plausible story...

Not the military, mafioso dealers' greed...

When it sounds like a duck, talks like a duck...it must be a chicken! NOT!
Old 7 December 2019, 03:43 AM   #260
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Yeah, this Tuscany Rose guy has lost all credibility to me, and he is doubling down the fake inserts are real.
Old 7 December 2019, 04:47 AM   #261
gsg
"TRF" Member

He is on the hook for quite a bit of money if the inserts are proven fake, don't expect any acknowledgement from him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
Yeah, this Tuscany Rose guy has lost all credibility to me, and he is doubling down the fake inserts are real.
Old 7 December 2019, 06:18 AM   #262
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

A couple of old threads regarding this, first one with a note about the Abu Dhabi RSC:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=52069

Then the one with the pictures in the last page:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=513068
Old 7 December 2019, 06:51 AM   #263
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post

The uae watches were not for issue to troops .. they were presentation / gift watches ... any use of a blue bezel would ( and I’m not saying it was ) have been purely because someone liked the look of it and maybe wanted to make them look different not for a pragmatic military reason
Old 7 December 2019, 08:15 AM   #264
pablofields
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
No Jason I didnt directly say those words as the whole jist of the conversation was ‘we have to be careful as there are many fake ones around ( no surprise there ) .... if they simply didn’t exist that conversation makes zero sense ...

I should preface by saying I first took it to Rolex Australia who , as they usually do with valuable pieces before accepting them for service thouroughly inspected , stripped and sent detailed macro photos to Geneva for approval to service ..... at which point Geneva said it’d have to come to them for inspection of the bezel before it could be done with that bezel on. .... again makes little sense if they coulda said we never made blue bezels ‘

On the other , question asked ... total radio silenced far ....... I feel for Isabelle Humm if she did write that letter , which still no one has commented on why it’s been removed by the original poster , she may be in a whole heap of trouble with the Rolex lawyers as AAkvipers isn’t the only one that has previously been accepted for service ( and documented ) ... that’s a whole liability issue that as you well know Jas they’ll bend over backwards to avoid .... hence my surprise as to the existence of that letter ( regardless of of its true or not )

Jed,

Can you share your own assessment of the bezel you sent to Geneva? Did it look to your highly trained eye like the blue bezels that continue to be defended by some as genuine? Was it from one of the same sources as the bezels being debated? Can you share the detailed macros you provided Rolex Geneva?

It would certainly be helpful for the discussion to have a public example of a blue bezel that presumably must have been very compelling regarding its authenticity to warrant a trip to Geneva, yet was found by Rolex not to be so.

Best

Paul

Last edited by pablofields; 7 December 2019 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 7 December 2019, 10:06 AM   #265
southtexas

All blue GMT fake

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablofields View Post
Jed,

Can you share your own assessment of the bezel you sent to Geneva? Did it look to your highly trained eye like the blue bezels that continue to be defended by some as genuine? Was it from one of the same sources as the bezels being debated? Can you share the detailed macros you provided Rolex Geneva?

It would certainly be helpful for the discussion to have a public example of a blue bezel that presumably must have been very compelling regarding its authenticity to warrant a trip to Geneva, yet was found by Rolex not to be so.

Best

Paul

That would make for an interesting comparison in this fruit saga.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
Old 7 December 2019, 10:29 AM   #266
Gmt21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
A couple of old threads regarding this, first one with a note about the Abu Dhabi RSC:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=52069

Then the one with the pictures in the last page:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=513068
In the second string two of the regarded experts in this forum concur that these were available as service parts from RSC up until about 2000. 🤔
Old 7 December 2019, 10:35 AM   #267
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
That would make for an interesting comparison in this fruit saga.

Too true!
Old 7 December 2019, 10:56 AM   #268
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmt21 View Post
In the second string two of the regarded experts in this forum concur that these were available as service parts from RSC up until about 2000. ��
Specifically, Greekbum, who stated rather unequivocally that the blue inserts all came from RSC, and whom, I don’t think, has weighed-in on this thread yet.
Old 7 December 2019, 10:57 AM   #269
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the second string two of the regarded experts in this forum concur that these were available as service parts from RSC up until about 2000. 🤔
Very interesting to go back and read that thread now.
Old 7 December 2019, 11:37 AM   #270
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
In the second string two of the regarded experts in this forum concur that these were available as service parts from RSC up until about 2000.

There’s even claims in there of documentation, but as usual nothing ever surfaces.

@TheGMTHand
Closed Thread