The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 July 2006, 03:22 AM   #1
Atomic

Why I love my Panerai

Just a ramble so bear with me.

First off, the history is amazing. Having read the book outlining the history of the brand I have to say the history behind Panerai is impressive. It's the ultimate tool watch and probably the first true dive watch designed for use by scuba divers.

Basically Italian navy frogmen would ride a torpedo-like submersible (on top, like riding a horse), go under (or cut through) anti-torpedo netting until they pull under an enemy ship. They'd then get off the 'pig' as they were called, and get an explosive device from inside the storage compartment of the pig, attach it to the hull of the enemy ship and ride away, with the device exploding once they're in relative safety. There's plenty more.

The look of the watch is big and bold, and yet it doesn't seem to wear big (IMHO). The design is contemporary, but as historic as you can get. The Radiomirs are based on the original 1937 design and the Luminors were first designed in the early 1940s. Very little, design wise has taken place since.

Options: It's not like a watch on a bracelet where when you get it, you wear it as is and that's it. Nope, you generally get two straps with a Luminor, the rubber dive strap and a leather one. But beyond that, there's a myriad of OEM and aftermarket straps you can buy and swap in about 60 seconds. You also have choices of generally three types of buckles (thumbnail, pre-V and GPF) and in four metal choices (SS polished, SS brushed, titanium or PVD). So the options are really endless and can change the look and feel of the watch so it seems brand new and different.

The passion and friendship among Paneristi is unlike no other brand I know about. These guys will offer you stuff for free, share stuff they recieve multiples of and generally help you out. One of the original Panerai wearers, an Omega Swimmer from the Italian navy didn't have a Panerai at all (not sure of the circumstances) but Paneristi organized and raised funds to buy this old hero a BNIB Radiomir and presented it to him along with a plaque. What a gesture.

If you're on the fence about getting one, or if you've never had one on your wrist, do youself and favour and give it a go. They're basically love it or hate it kind of watch but I know of quite a few who hated them until they either saw one in person or tried one on. They then changed their tunes.
Old 22 July 2006, 03:29 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good post, Johnny!!

I guess this would NOT be a very good time to tell you tossers why I love Rolex so much, uh?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2006, 03:32 AM   #3
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Good post, Johnny!!

I guess this would NOT be a very good time to tell you tossers why I love Rolex so much, uh?
Old 22 July 2006, 03:43 AM   #4
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Are there dealers around the country, or are they limited? I've never seen a Panerai once in my life. Maybe they don't have any dealers in Michigan.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2006, 03:44 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7horton View Post
Are there dealers around the country, or are they limited? I've never seen a Panerai once in my life. Maybe they don't have any dealers in Michigan.
You ain't missed much, pal!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 22 July 2006, 03:46 AM   #6
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7horton View Post
Panerai have ADs in all but 17 US states. There is one in Michigan so my guess is it's in Detroit. Consider yourselves lucky, Canada only has three ADs.
Old 22 July 2006, 03:52 AM   #7
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I agree with your comments 110% John.
I have both received goodies from fellow Paneristis and sent off goodies also.
Just this morning, I received a nice OP ( LOGO) window sticker from a fellow TRF & Paneristi.
Even my wife, at first did not like the styling of the brand, then she started wearing my 113. Soon after, I was down at the AD picking up a 40mm Panerai for her. The AD was terrific in the transaction and had already swapped straps to a Nice pink gator by the time we had arrived.
Now my wife has 3 straps and is looking to further my, I mean her, collection.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2006, 03:53 AM   #8
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Actually, the Panerai site www.panerai.com has a distributor section. Simply click on the country, then your state and you will get a list of local AD's.
Does Rolex offer this service?

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2006, 03:54 AM   #9
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Gee, I wonder why they had to call it a pig
Old 22 July 2006, 03:58 AM   #10
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
Just this morning, I received a nice OP ( LOGO) window sticker from a fellow TRF & Paneristi.
HA! Glad you got it. Enjoy!
Old 22 July 2006, 03:58 AM   #11
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
Actually, the Panerai site www.panerai.com has a distributor section. Simply click on the country, then your state and you will get a list of local AD's.
Does Rolex offer this service?
I didn't click far enough to see that option. Way cool.

In Michigan:

Tapper's
6337 Orchard Lake Road
MI 48322 West Bloomfield
Phone: 001 248 932 7700
Fax:001 248 932 7717
Old 22 July 2006, 04:09 AM   #12
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I sold mine.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2006, 04:13 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
I sold mine.
Nice way to burst everyone's bubble, you tosser!!

Old 22 July 2006, 04:16 AM   #14
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice way to burst everyone's bubble, you tosser!!
Just being truthful, as always.

I have a great admiration for the vintage models but I think the present company are jumping on the bandwagon.

Member #10
Old 22 July 2006, 04:33 AM   #15
Atomic

Quote:
I sold mine.
Then get the hell out of my thread.

Old 22 July 2006, 04:36 AM   #16
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
Then get the hell out of my thread.

Bye bye

Member #10
Old 22 July 2006, 06:04 AM   #17
Atomic

Quote:
Bye bye
Adrian, got any old straps left over.
Old 22 July 2006, 12:15 PM   #18
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Adrian, got any old straps left over.
First he sends me away and now when he wants something he's inviting me back.

No I don't have any straps, I never got into that fetish.

Member #10
Old 22 July 2006, 03:50 PM   #19
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Quote:
You ain't missed much, pal!
I agree, those watches are just too damn big! It's like the people that buy Hummers, is it because their compensating for something?

But I am not disrespecting the love of these watches, and they ARE very popular. I am just going nuts over this new Jeager, I have not felt this way about a watch since buying my first GMT II in college.
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2006, 07:37 PM   #20
mamas
"TRF" Member

nice post johnny .. although be careful you dont start to sound like JJ and his rolexes lolololol :) :) :) seriously though, i have heard a lot of good things about panerai community which you dont find in other brands. I do respect the brand, but styling is rather too bold for me.
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2006, 08:41 PM   #21
Southern Jessie

Great post, Johnny! If any watch brand can bring happiness to someone then that's great.

Panerai's history is really interesting, and some hardcore Paneristi (Volker, Hammer, Frank Raiss) have been collecting books on the Italian saboteurs during WW2 for a few years now. Even if people are not into the watch, the history is well worth reading about.

I've put in a few pics of vintage models that I saw when I went to the Club Panerai event at Viareggio in 2004. I thought you and the other guys might like to see what I consider truly beautiful watches.

This is a pic of the first Panerai ever produced in 1938:

A 60mm Egiziano model with a 6152/1 in the background.

Another 6152/1 but this time it was made for the Egyptian army in the 1950's. Notice the Rolex case and brevet crown (the same crown that was used on the 6538 Submariner that Sean Connery wore in Goldfinger) and this would also have a Rolex movement.

A 1980 prototype - 60mm!

And a 3646 Radiomir with California dial:

John - this was the model worn by Omeris Arpensella. He is one of the last surviving 'Gamma' divers - underwater commandos. It's truly sad that his watch and other belongings were stolen from his house in Italy. The Paneristi community got together and donated money to buy Omeris another watch (not sure what it was...maybe a Base Radiomir). He's a lovely man - very humble and still excited when people ask him questions about his memories.

It's certainly the friendliest community out there, and very easy to get together and meet some great guys.

I do agree a bit with Adrian though. Personally the newer models don't do anything for me. I love the Pre-Vendome models and the A and B series. Even up to 3-4 years ago the watches were nice. Unfortunately Panerai is a business and I believe that the mentality is quantity over quality now.

Thankfully there are still some really nice discontinued pieces that can be picked up for good prices.

Quote:
Just a ramble so bear with me.

First off, the history is amazing. Having read the book outlining the history of the brand I have to say the history behind Panerai is impressive. It's the ultimate tool watch and probably the first true dive watch designed for use by scuba divers.

Basically Italian navy frogmen would ride a torpedo-like submersible (on top, like riding a horse), go under (or cut through) anti-torpedo netting until they pull under an enemy ship. They'd then get off the 'pig' as they were called, and get an explosive device from inside the storage compartment of the pig, attach it to the hull of the enemy ship and ride away, with the device exploding once they're in relative safety. There's plenty more.

The look of the watch is big and bold, and yet it doesn't seem to wear big (IMHO). The design is contemporary, but as historic as you can get. The Radiomirs are based on the original 1937 design and the Luminors were first designed in the early 1940s. Very little, design wise has taken place since.

Options: It's not like a watch on a bracelet where when you get it, you wear it as is and that's it. Nope, you generally get two straps with a Luminor, the rubber dive strap and a leather one. But beyond that, there's a myriad of OEM and aftermarket straps you can buy and swap in about 60 seconds. You also have choices of generally three types of buckles (thumbnail, pre-V and GPF) and in four metal choices (SS polished, SS brushed, titanium or PVD). So the options are really endless and can change the look and feel of the watch so it seems brand new and different.

The passion and friendship among Paneristi is unlike no other brand I know about. These guys will offer you stuff for free, share stuff they recieve multiples of and generally help you out. One of the original Panerai wearers, an Omega Swimmer from the Italian navy didn't have a Panerai at all (not sure of the circumstances) but Paneristi organized and raised funds to buy this old hero a BNIB Radiomir and presented it to him along with a plaque. What a gesture.

If you're on the fence about getting one, or if you've never had one on your wrist, do youself and favour and give it a go. They're basically love it or hate it kind of watch but I know of quite a few who hated them until they either saw one in person or tried one on. They then changed their tunes.
Southern Jessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2006, 10:50 PM   #22
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Very interesting an very good post, John. But I do have one quibble with it. You (and others) have complained about the lack of styling changes by Rolex over the years. Yet here you seem to be lauding that with PAMs. How do you explain the discrepancy in your attitude between the two brands.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 12:47 AM   #23
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Very interesting an very good post, John. But I do have one quibble with it. You (and others) have complained about the lack of styling changes by Rolex over the years. Yet here you seem to be lauding that with PAMs. How do you explain the discrepancy in your attitude between the two brands.
Ed, I don't know if Johnny feels that way, but for me personally I have never complained about the style or designs of the Rolex line.

I think it would be stupid for them to change their designs, and a few of the times they have tried (see this years new DD) they have failed. The styling of Rolex watches is classic and will live on forever.

What makes these companies attractive to a person like myself is the fact they don't make too many drastic changes.

The owners seem to differ though.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 12:49 AM   #24
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Jessie View Post
Great post, Johnny! If any watch brand can bring happiness to someone then that's great.

Panerai's history is really interesting, and some hardcore Paneristi (Volker, Hammer, Frank Raiss) have been collecting books on the Italian saboteurs during WW2 for a few years now. Even if people are not into the watch, the history is well worth reading about.

I've put in a few pics of vintage models that I saw when I went to the Club Panerai event at Viareggio in 2004. I thought you and the other guys might like to see what I consider truly beautiful watches.

This is a pic of the first Panerai ever produced in 1938:

A 60mm Egiziano model with a 6152/1 in the background.

Another 6152/1 but this time it was made for the Egyptian army in the 1950's. Notice the Rolex case and brevet crown (the same crown that was used on the 6538 Submariner that Sean Connery wore in Goldfinger) and this would also have a Rolex movement.

A 1980 prototype - 60mm!

And a 3646 Radiomir with California dial:

John - this was the model worn by Omeris Arpensella. He is one of the last surviving 'Gamma' divers - underwater commandos. It's truly sad that his watch and other belongings were stolen from his house in Italy. The Paneristi community got together and donated money to buy Omeris another watch (not sure what it was...maybe a Base Radiomir). He's a lovely man - very humble and still excited when people ask him questions about his memories.

It's certainly the friendliest community out there, and very easy to get together and meet some great guys.

I do agree a bit with Adrian though. Personally the newer models don't do anything for me. I love the Pre-Vendome models and the A and B series. Even up to 3-4 years ago the watches were nice. Unfortunately Panerai is a business and I believe that the mentality is quantity over quality now.

Thankfully there are still some really nice discontinued pieces that can be picked up for good prices.

Great post and thanks for sharing Shane. I don't make the mistake of thinking that Pannies are the greatest watch, they just really make me smile. And the COMMUNITY is as good as it gets.

Old 23 July 2006, 02:48 AM   #25
Roverdave

Watch: SS Sub
Great topic and great thread! Those vintage Pannies are incredible-I hope to have one for the collection someday!

I love the Rolex line and will never get rid of my Sub date or the GMT that I will hopefully pick up later this week, but they are just a part of a multi-faceted collection that I have. My BASE logo, 221, and hopefully sometime this fall a Ferr 00001 GT are all another side of my collection that I cherish deeply and will hopefully have to pass down to my children and explain to them not only why I like them, but what place they had in history. I guess that my focus on my personal collection is not only the eye appeal, but the history they have-dubious or not. The Panerais DEFINITELY have that and then some. Love the watch, love the look, love the history. Thanks d-man, Atomic, Launch, and the other Paneristi for steering me in this direction!!
Roverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 10:28 AM   #26
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverdave View Post
Great topic and great thread! Those vintage Pannies are incredible-I hope to have one for the collection someday!

I love the Rolex line and will never get rid of my Sub date or the GMT that I will hopefully pick up later this week, but they are just a part of a multi-faceted collection that I have. My BASE logo, 221, and hopefully sometime this fall a Ferr 00001 GT are all another side of my collection that I cherish deeply and will hopefully have to pass down to my children and explain to them not only why I like them, but what place they had in history. I guess that my focus on my personal collection is not only the eye appeal, but the history they have-dubious or not. The Panerais DEFINITELY have that and then some. Love the watch, love the look, love the history. Thanks d-man, Atomic, Launch, and the other Paneristi for steering me in this direction!!
Dave, you are more than welcome mate!! Check out my newest watch on the watch gallery board here. I think you will like it.

Old 23 July 2006, 01:58 PM   #27
writer
"TRF" Member

I owned a Luminor Marina five years ago and sold it because I felt it was not ideal for most situations (too large) and because I wanted to fund a Rolex. Even though I have focused on Rolex since then, I often missed the minimalist look of the Panerai. So last week I purchased a Radiomir. It is a great watch that I will NEVER sell. Why did I buy it?

1. I've always liked cushion cases.
2. The lack of a lever and standard lugs makes the watch appear smaller on my wrist.
3. It has a great military history.
4. The dial is so simple, yet I can't take my eyes off it.
5. The manual movement gives me even greater involvement with the watch and with the see-thru caseback I can look at it.

A lot of people say Panerai is part of the big watch trend. I disagree. Panerai watches have been large since the 1930s. And they will continue to be large when the big watch trend is over because that is their history.

My Sub has a great history and can be found anywhere. It's good to know that my Radiomir has an even greater history and is rarer.

writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 02:19 PM   #28
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by writer View Post
I owned a Luminor Marina five years ago and sold it because I felt it was not ideal for most situations (too large) and because I wanted to fund a Rolex. Even though I have focused on Rolex since then, I often missed the minimalist look of the Panerai. So last week I purchased a Radiomir. It is a great watch that I will NEVER sell. Why did I buy it?

1. I've always liked cushion cases.
2. The lack of a lever and standard lugs makes the watch appear smaller on my wrist.
3. It has a great military history.
4. The dial is so simple, yet I can't take my eyes off it.
5. The manual movement gives me even greater involvement with the watch and with the see-thru caseback I can look at it.

A lot of people say Panerai is part of the big watch trend. I disagree. Panerai watches have been large since the 1930s. And they will continue to be large when the big watch trend is over because that is their history.

My Sub has a great history and can be found anywhere. It's good to know that my Radiomir has an even greater history and is rarer.

That is a beautiful piece, Writer I agree with you about the big watch trend Panerai isn't part of it, they're one of the companies that started it. They've been going strong for a long time now, I think it's safe to say that they're far from a trend

Congratulations, again on a fantastic looking watch. Wear it in the best of health and enjoy
Old 23 July 2006, 02:43 PM   #29
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Well said Writer!! And I love the 210!

Old 23 July 2006, 02:47 PM   #30
writer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
That is a beautiful piece, Writer I agree with you about the big watch trend Panerai isn't part of it, they're one of the companies that started it. They've been going strong for a long time now, I think it's safe to say that they're far from a trend

Congratulations, again on a fantastic looking watch. Wear it in the best of health and enjoy
Thanks C.J.!

I completely recommend this watch to anyone that desires a Panerai.
writer is offline   Reply With Quote