The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2022, 12:10 AM   #1
mezeno
"TRF" Member

AD Had Exhibition Watches Yesterday - My Takeaway

My AD texted me Saturday and said that they would have the exhibition watches available yesterday, so I went by. I currently have orders for a 41 Coral OP, Batman, and Cermit. Here are my takeaways.

1. They did not have many of the watches. Cermit, Batman, Op, and others weren't there.

2. They had the Batgirl and I think that I like it just as much as the Batman.

3. They had a couple of Daytonas and I am still not a huge fan. I had a Z series previously and it wasn't the grail that I was expecting. Too much going on for my liking and hard to read for my failing eyes.

4. Even though they didn't have the Cermit, I have seen it in the wild and it is no longer on my list. I just don't like the muted color of the bezel in ceramic.

5. I have a new semi-grail. They had a 41 SS Skydweller with the blue dial. What a beauty! The fit, feel, and look were perfect on my wrist. While I have multiple Rolex, IWC, Tudor, etc. dive watches, I don't have many dress watches that I think can be dressed down if desired. For just a few thousand dollars more than a Sub or GMT I can have something that is truly different from what most people gravitate towards. I think that the SS Skydweller will be a great dress watch that can likely be dressed down with a black Rolex rubber strap.

I am really glad that I saw and tried on a number of watches as some of my previous wants are no longer desired, and I found that I liked a watch much more in person than I thought that I would. While I still want the 41 Coral OP, I am now okay with the Batman or Batgirl, and my new top pick is the SS Skydweller. I will gladly take whichever watch comes in first, but I am happy to wait for the SS Skydweller as long as it takes.
mezeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 12:18 AM   #2
Epanerai12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
al ah BAMA!

Nice tho.
Old 17 February 2022, 12:39 AM   #3
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

I felt the same way with the sky dweller, wasn’t on my radar until after I tried it on there. Now I’m feeling the same and will own one in the future. I really liked the fact that it is Rolex most complicated watch I was told by my AD. Funny thing is I also really was a coral 41. You sir have great taste!
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 12:52 AM   #4
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Which bracket did you like on the sky dweller ?
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 01:14 AM   #5
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
My AD has a large selection of exhibition watches now. I’m planning to take a visit there at some point to try them all out. It’s over 2 hours from me so it’s a solid day trip and takes some planning.

Last time I was there I tried on a Pepsi and a 36mm Daydate and it really does change your perception of a watch to try it on in person. Didn’t like the red on the red on the Pepsi at all and lost interest. The 36mm DD felt solid and I appreciated it’s classic size. Didn’t like the diamonds or black dial though. At a full 7.5 inch wrist a DD40 would be more appropriate for me but the heft of the gold and with a different dial I could see 36mm being just fine as well.

Definitely encourage people to try on anything when you get a chance. It’s a rare opportunity for me so I enjoy it and learn a lot.
Old 17 February 2022, 01:16 AM   #6
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
In regards to trying them on you can walk into any secondary dealer and they will usually have one of everything in stock.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 01:17 AM   #7
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Cool
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 01:26 AM   #8
mezeno
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Which bracket did you like on the sky dweller ?
IMHO the jubilee bracelet is the ticket if you are going to use it as a dress watch. The Oyster bracelet feels a little utilitarian and dressed down. I would be fine with either bracelet, but plan on the jubilee with an oysterflex when I want to dress it down.
Old 17 February 2022, 01:29 AM   #9
mezeno
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
In regards to trying them on you can walk into any secondary dealer and they will usually have one of everything in stock.
Unfortunately, in Birmingham, AL that really isn't an option. There are no secondary dealers with anything close to a full lineup. My buddy is a secondary dealer and he like most around here only carry the easy sales. Subs, GMTs, DJs, and a random Explorer II or Daytona.
Old 17 February 2022, 01:38 AM   #10
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

My AD had exhibition watches and sold me one.
True story.
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 04:05 AM   #11
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I learned to never request a watch until I tried it on. Before the exhibition pieces were out, my AD would let me try on pieces I thought I was interested that were already spoken for.
I too changed my mind on several pieces that I thought I wanted but just didn’t work in the flesh.
For the grief that many give Rolex for the exhibition pieces, I think it’s a valuable service.
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 05:28 AM   #12
Time Out
Banned

I was HOT on a Blue Sky Dweller on Oyster.. but was extremely fortunate enought to try the Blue Skydweller on both bracelets. For me, Jubilee for the win.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skydb1.jpg (18.1 KB, 1058 views)
File Type: jpg skydb2.jpg (20.0 KB, 1055 views)
Time Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 05:33 AM   #13
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
I learned to never request a watch until I tried it on. Before the exhibition pieces were out, my AD would let me try on pieces I thought I was interested that were already spoken for.
I too changed my mind on several pieces that I thought I wanted but just didn’t work in the flesh.
For the grief that many give Rolex for the exhibition pieces, I think it’s a valuable service.
I agree
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 05:38 AM   #14
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I tried on a TT Daytona and thought it was just ok. Then I tried on the ADs Daytona cermaic on Oysterflex huge difference. The ceramic bezel is killer when matching with the subdials. SS or Oysterflex Daytona for me.
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 06:07 AM   #15
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
I would take a #5 !

Stunning watch
carwashchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 06:43 AM   #16
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezeno View Post

I currently have "orders" for a 41 Coral OP, Batman, and Cermit.

WilsdorfNDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 06:51 AM   #17
Flintstone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My AD texted me Saturday and said that they would have the exhibition watches available yesterday, so I went by. I currently have orders for a 41 Coral OP, Batman, and Cermit. Here are my takeaways.

1. They did not have many of the watches. Cermit, Batman, Op, and others weren't there.

2. They had the Batgirl and I think that I like it just as much as the Batman.

3. They had a couple of Daytonas and I am still not a huge fan. I had a Z series previously and it wasn't the grail that I was expecting. Too much going on for my liking and hard to read for my failing eyes.

4. Even though they didn't have the Cermit, I have seen it in the wild and it is no longer on my list. I just don't like the muted color of the bezel in ceramic.

5. I have a new semi-grail. They had a 41 SS Skydweller with the blue dial. What a beauty! The fit, feel, and look were perfect on my wrist. While I have multiple Rolex, IWC, Tudor, etc. dive watches, I don't have many dress watches that I think can be dressed down if desired. For just a few thousand dollars more than a Sub or GMT I can have something that is truly different from what most people gravitate towards. I think that the SS Skydweller will be a great dress watch that can likely be dressed down with a black Rolex rubber strap.

I am really glad that I saw and tried on a number of watches as some of my previous wants are no longer desired, and I found that I liked a watch much more in person than I thought that I would. While I still want the 41 Coral OP, I am now okay with the Batman or Batgirl, and my new top pick is the SS Skydweller. I will gladly take whichever watch comes in first, but I am happy to wait for the SS Skydweller as long as it takes.
The AD probably put you at the bottom of the list if you used all those silly nicknames with him/her.
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 06:53 AM   #18
RJM25R
"TRF" Member

Having a list for so many watches conjures up an image of a flipper, rightly or wrongly…
RJM25R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 12:12 PM   #19
mezeno
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
Having a list for so many watches conjures up an image of a flipper, rightly or wrongly…
Nope, not a flipper at all. I gave all three as orders and options because my ADs reservation list is a mile long and the wait time for many who have reserved has been up to two years. I know how many people are in front of me for each watch. I originally had the green ceramic sub, blue and black gmt on oyster, and the 41 OP Coral on my list. As stated above, I didn’t like the green ceramic bezel so I had my AD take me off of that list. I reserved the 41mm OP because there were only 3 people in front of me. Green sub had 8 ahead of me and black and blue gmt had 11. I have now also reserved the SS Sky-Dweller yesterday and will know where I am on the list tomorrow. So I am still at 3 models. We only have one AD in Birmingham and they get what they get from Rolex when they get it. With three reservations, I have the hope of getting one of them in a reasonable time frame. I am definitely waiting on the SS Sky-Dweller regardless of the time frame. Whichever other model that shows up first OP or GMT, I will buy that model. I will likely remove myself from the list of whatever model didn’t show up first. I hope that explains everything for anyone that was concerned.
Old 17 February 2022, 12:21 PM   #20
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I reserved the 41mm OP because there were only 3 people in front of me....

So you reserved it only because it is easier to get than another watch?
WilsdorfNDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 12:45 PM   #21
mezeno
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsdorfNDavis View Post

So you reserved it only because it is easier to get than another watch?
That and I really like it. I like all 3.
Old 17 February 2022, 01:00 PM   #22
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-London View Post
True story.

I just learned that an AD was invoiced for their exhibition watches, but no warranty cards. Makes me wonder when ADs will get the green light to sell them.

Did you get the warranty card? Congrats-
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 01:18 PM   #23
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsdorfndavis View Post

so you reserved it only because it is easier to get than another watch?
Read the posts.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 01:20 PM   #24
Undertaker2
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 16233
Great selection and great AD.
Undertaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 01:32 PM   #25
underpar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-London View Post
True story.
No they didn't.
underpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 01:36 PM   #26
mezeno
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker2 View Post
Great selection and great AD.
Yep, Bromberg’s is a wonderful store and Swan is a great guy to deal with. Angela is awesome too.
Old 17 February 2022, 01:41 PM   #27
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10klakes View Post
I just learned that an AD was invoiced for their exhibition watches, but no warranty cards. Makes me wonder when ADs will get the green light to sell them.

Did you get the warranty card? Congrats-
Yes they are going to sell them was at my AD today.
Coronette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 01:43 PM   #28
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I walked into that store at the Summit last year. They had zero Rolex in the case but no one even asked me if they could help me. My guess is they don’t get much stock, good luck.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 03:07 PM   #29
lifebreath
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronette View Post
Yes they are going to sell them was at my AD today.
Was it a large AD? The large ADs and boutiques got working display models last year, and the new batch of display models were recently shipped to ADs, including the smaller ones who didn't previously get the display models.

My guess is they got the cards for an older batch when the got the recent replacement batch.

EDIT: I'm in the USA and see you're in London. May be different in UK.
lifebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 03:33 PM   #30
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

Seen them all in teh flesh

The SS Sky Dweller with the blue dial AND Jubilee bracelet is the one to go for. On the wrist the dial is a beauty, but from a short distance the ouster bracelet makes it a DJ on steroids while the jubilee makes in distinct, IMO.
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote