The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 9 May 2017, 03:48 AM   #1
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Rolex 16760 Fat Lady Dial Variations

I have a particular fondness for the lesser common versions of watch models and am a research-aholic. So, having a Fat Lady that I've obtained form its original owner in my collection has led me into hours upon hours of research and compiling information about this obscure reference.

I have read "Orchi's" thread about the 16760 dial variations many times and feel that there is another variation that he didn't cover.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=76416

Mk1 Dial "No date" (1983/84)
Very rare first year production with "OYSTER PERPETUAL" estimated 8.3-8.4m serial number range. Notice the rounded "G" on "GMT MASTER II" and the tall coronet. Also, the "I" in "SWISS" does not line up directly above the 31min mark.
The following are 8.4m serial dials:

Mk2 Dial approx 8.4m to 9.43m (1984/85-1986)
This dial variation includes "OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE" and tall coronet. Notice that the rounded "G" in "GMT MASTER II" Also, the "I" in "SWISS" does not line up directly above the 31min mark.
The following is a model from 1985:

9.42m serial (1986) (sorry about the rotation, I can't seem to get it straight):

Mk3 Dial Approx 9.46m to R serial (late 1986 to 1988/89)
Somewhere between the 9.42m and 9.46m serial ranges the dial seems to have changed to a shorter crown and a and different font on the "G" in "GMT MASTER II". This dial variation is very similar (possibly identical) to the dial in the first generation tritium dial of the 16710. Note also, the "I" in "SWISS" now lines up directly above the 31min mark.
The following is a 9.46m serial (1986):

1987 model:

As I continue my findings I will attempt to close in the serial ranges where the changes appear to occur.

As for the possible MK 4 dial (the one Orchi refers to as the MK3) where the SCOC fonts are serif fonts, I have not seen definite evidence to support this variation but I won't rule it out yet as a possible fourth variation.

Thanks