The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 August 2023, 03:01 AM   #1
bds79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
VC Overseas Dual Time

Hi all. I’m looking for some info and opinions on the Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time (black in particular). I tend to stick with one watch that I can wear for all occasions. That’s currently a 39mm Explorer. One of my favorite watches is the Dual Time black. Seriously considering getting it as a daily wearer to keep for the long haul. I like the idea of one watch that has been with me everywhere for decades.

- Anyone have the Overseas DT and gave opinions to share on their experience?

- It’s an expensive watch to wear on a daily basis, but also a robust sports watch that I feel is meant to be worn. Is it crazy to get such a piece as a daily wearer?

- My research seems to suggest that acquiring one is a bit more straight forward than the Rolex AD games. Appears that after registering interest on VC’s website they will consider your interest among others and allocate in order of registration, generally. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
bds79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 05:24 AM   #2
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Too bad you didn't move on this before the ridiculous Richemont price increases, it should be easy to acquire though.

I think the Overseas would be an amazing everyday wear reference. Especially in black. It's a superlative watch in many ways.

Unfortunately, I'm just talking watches as I'm not an owner due to price constraints. If I had the means, it would be at the top of some lists though. Hopefully those with experience can chime in. Good luck.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 06:08 AM   #3
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

I just turned one down a few weeks ago as I didn't feel it was worth it anymore after the price increase and sort of lost interest. I was initially told it was a 8 year wait but I ended up waiting only about 1 year. I still think it's a beautiful watch though, and with demand softening it should not be too hard to get if you're willing to wait. Or you can buy it grey market now at a discount.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 11:40 AM   #4
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
Before getting a watch with GMT complication, I was considering Rolex GMT-Master II and VC Overseas Dual Time...I was contemplating between these two models alot before settling on 126710BLNR as my daily

I've done my research and there are three design flaws compared to the almighty Pan-Am GMT-Master II: 1) the Dual Time features a date sub-dial at 6 o'clock which take some time to decipher compared to the 3 o'clock single digit wheel on GMT-Master II which is read in an instant, 2) lume plot is missing for 5, 6, 7 o'clock since that space is taken up the date sub-dial, 3) the design overall is asymmetric where the GMT-Master II is much more time-proven design and night/day is often marked by two colours on the ceramic dial, also, the right side represents the AM and left side represents the PM on a GMT-Master II. Lastly, the retail or street price of the Dual Time is more expensive than the robust, accurate, classic GMT-Master II.

That's why in the end, I went for the Rolex GMT-Master II.
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 12:13 PM   #5
shafran
"TRF" Member

Vc dual time

Is one of the best all around daily watches u can get
Robust, water resistant , prestigious and good looking
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 03:44 PM   #6
Lukla
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet
I have both those watches and tend to reach for the VC more. If the dual time function is important and use it frequently, I'd go with GMT-Master as it is easier to use and read than VC DT. For me, VC is a much better watch than GMT-M overall but it is just my taste and preference as they are both great watches. Having 3 different bracelet/strap also helps for different occasions if wearing as daily watch.
Lukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 08:53 PM   #7
ISWing
"TRF" Member

I tried one on a few years back, but I felt it was too thick and the size didn’t fit my wrist well. I think if you’re looking for a dual time thats a little smaller and with an integrated bracelet I would go with a AP dual time, you could pick one up for around the same price as the VC second hand.
ISWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 03:28 AM   #8
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I usually opt for GMT watches instead of dual timers/world timers because I find the GMTs much easier to read. I don't have a VC Dual Time, so I can't really talk in terms of wearability and readability, but given the comments here, I think my misgivings about these kinds of watches are being confirmed.

My take on it is this. World timers/dual timers, in their attempt to make time zone watched easier to use, actually make it more difficult to understand. Meaning, there are some "rules" to follow with respect to adjusting one or the other time zone....which one the day/night indicator is tied to....which one the date is tied to (they are not always consistent).

GMT.....is really really simple.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 03:30 AM   #9
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I have the Everest version and LOVE it...super easy to use GMT function, legible, rugged, swap straps...all around winner
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 03:33 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwang0520 View Post
Before getting a watch with GMT complication, I was considering Rolex GMT-Master II and VC Overseas Dual Time...I was contemplating between these two models alot before settling on 126710BLNR as my daily

I've done my research and there are three design flaws compared to the almighty Pan-Am GMT-Master II: 1) the Dual Time features a date sub-dial at 6 o'clock which take some time to decipher compared to the 3 o'clock single digit wheel on GMT-Master II which is read in an instant, 2) lume plot is missing for 5, 6, 7 o'clock since that space is taken up the date sub-dial, 3) the design overall is asymmetric where the GMT-Master II is much more time-proven design and night/day is often marked by two colours on the ceramic dial, also, the right side represents the AM and left side represents the PM on a GMT-Master II. Lastly, the retail or street price of the Dual Time is more expensive than the robust, accurate, classic GMT-Master II.

That's why in the end, I went for the Rolex GMT-Master II.
Nice summary
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 05:58 AM   #11
Gr2
"TRF" Member

I own one which I wear in a rotation with a 5164a, 5711, Czapek Antarctique plus a few other sports models, and it is by far my most worn watch. It combines:
*most versatile looks (I have bought a number of Vagenari rubber straps of various colours to change it up regularly)
*robust movement
*great bracelet with micro adjustment
*water resistant
*antimagnetic
*3d power reserve
*more under-the-radar than some other popular brands

Strongly recommend
Gr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 01:06 PM   #12
BendyBee
"TRF" Member

I loved it but had to let it go as it’s too big for my wrist. Changing straps was super easy and fun with lots of colors/material choices…a bit pricey though
BendyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 04:38 PM   #13
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

I have the watch you are seeking and I wear it as you describe..

Was purchased to celebrate the birth of my daughter and has not left my wrist since Aug 2021.

Like the majority of watches, hairlines do attach themselves to the bezel but as it's polished it's not nearly as noticeable & you need to search for them. 150M water resistant is awesome.

I find it very comfortable to wear daily, generally on the rubber strap. The thickness doesn't bother me and i have a ~7.25" wrist. The bracelet has micro adjustments for the warmer months.

I have purchased additional OE rubber straps; red & white to switch it up pending my mood/occasion.

This particular video sold me as originally I wanted the blue 4500V

Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 09:25 PM   #14
d33nastyle
"TRF" Member

They offer me the black one in march 23 , i declined it
d33nastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2023, 11:38 PM   #15
neurotichamster8
"TRF" Member

If anyone has any connections, I’ve been trying to get a 7900V for years now. Please let me know! Prefer ADs not greys.

Cheers!
neurotichamster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 01:30 AM   #16
bds79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Really good observations and feedback here. Appreciate it!
bds79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 02:15 AM   #17
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Have the blue one and its a very special watch and very easy to read in my opinion. I think the AM/PM feature makes reading it that much easier, not a fan of the 24hrs bezel. it is high horology and the strap swap feature is a definite plus.
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 02:29 AM   #18
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

This week I saw one sold for 22,000 USD . 9 k below retail ! what a bargain for this price imo... however for retail price I would hesitate alot

Do please try it because its a bit thick and doesnt fit a smaller wrist
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 11:20 AM   #19
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I have the 214270 and the silver 4500v and those two are my most worn watches. I tried on a VC dual time and it was a bit thicker than the 4500. The lug to lug on the VC is much bigger than the Explorer but if your wrist is big enough you’ll be fine.
I prefer the bracelet on the VC with two micro adjustments and all brushed look.
But I’ve added leather, rubber and alligator straps. Most flare out more than the bracelet so it’s in the bracelet most of the time.
My favorite part of wearing the VC is that no one knows what it is. But I know it’s a holy trinity watch made in very small numbers and a real treat to wear and enjoy
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2023, 09:40 PM   #20
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
I have a silver dial time a couple of Rolex GMTs.
The VC is way ahead in terms or quality of finish. It looks and feels more special to me.

The AM/PM indicator is very easy to read and more intuitive than a GMT bezel.

Although it’s 41mm, it does not wear any larger than the Rolex.

Add quick change strap and it’s an easy choice for me.

VC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2023, 03:20 AM   #21
Cayenne06
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Overseas DT
I have the exact watch and have owned it for about a year. The AM/PM indicator locked up about 3 months ago but has been repaired under warranty. I am currently wearing it on the black rubber strap. It’s a bit heavy (to me) on the bracelet, and I’m not a big bracelet fan. I wear it in rotation with 6 more pieces. I wish it had a stop second crown, would make precise time setting easier. I like it much better than the GMT Masters, Skydweller or GS GMTs (the only other GMT/DT pieces I have owned). It would make a great daily wearer.
Cayenne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 09:22 AM   #22
Titleistek
"TRF" Member

VC here. lot the strap change options. very comfortable. stealthy!
Titleistek is online now   Reply With Quote