The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 8 March 2019, 02:53 AM   #61
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
The practical experience regarding the difference between these watches on the wrist could be an education in and of itself

When I was shopping for an AP I had the opportunity to try them all on in a single visit to the boutique.
300/400/202

The 15202 was miles away from the other two in fit. For me it was miles in the direction I would travel others might prefer the other direction.

My point is for all of the back and forth conversations, these watches benefit from a moment of wrist time more than any other comparisons I could think of. Don’t decide without trying them on.

All said however the 5711 ultimately wins the comparison for me with the 15202.
Love reading your various thoughts in these posts, Gus.

You seem to love the Jumbo as I now do, so I gotta ask: why do you prefer the 5711 over the 15202?
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 03:01 AM   #62
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

I want to thank everyone in this thread for all the help! These sort of honest knowledge seeking threads are what make this forum great.

After much consideration, I purchased a 15300ST BLUE with Box/Papers/Full Service at a very nice price. It popped up where white and black ones are being offered and I couldn't resist, it should be here in a few days and I have very excited.
brockburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 05:19 AM   #63
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockburst View Post
I want to thank everyone in this thread for all the help! These sort of honest knowledge seeking threads are what make this forum great.

After much consideration, I purchased a 15300ST BLUE with Box/Papers/Full Service at a very nice price. It popped up where white and black ones are being offered and I couldn't resist, it should be here in a few days and I have very excited.

Big congrats! Pls post the mandatory / celebratory wrist shot. :)
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 11:01 PM   #64
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Many congrats mate. That’s the best decision. Can I ask what price you got one for?

I ask this because I know they’ve been appreciating quite a bit so just want to see which range are they moving around now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Horolojust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 12:38 AM   #65
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horolojust View Post
Many congrats mate. That’s the best decision. Can I ask what price you got one for?

I ask this because I know they’ve been appreciating quite a bit so just want to see which range are they moving around now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I will send you a PM.
Old 9 March 2019, 12:39 AM   #66
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I will send you a PM.

Cheers mate. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horolojust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 01:06 AM   #67
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

My watch is currently stuck in customs and just was told I needed the famous "Watch Clock Worksheet...."

Someone cross fingers for me.
Old 12 March 2019, 12:30 AM   #68
Andrew NYC
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Another vote for the 15202

Another vote for the 15202 which I own, wear regularly and have no complaints with in regard to winding, date setting, etc. as I have an AP winding/setting tool which makes the process simple and painless. Having tried the 15300 and 15400, and owning the 15202, I can say that I prefer the 15202 across the board due to the slimness of the case/bracelet, historic movement, dial design, lack of second hand, relative rarity (recently) and history.

To those who say that the 15202 is impracticable or not suited for daily wear I dispute that statement. I wear mine daily for weeks on end and find that it moves easily from weekly office wear, to evening wear, to weekend activities. You can take it off for a day or two and not worry about winding/setting. No, I don't wear my 15202 swimming, doing home/auto repairs, waterskiing, etc. but that's what my Sub, SD43, GMT, Luminox, etc. are for (BTW - I really don't need to wear a watch doing those things anyway).

I found the 15300 noticeably thicker (case and bracelet) and was less impressed by the movement (comparatively speaking although it is a nice movement). If the 15202 wasn't available I would have purchased one as it's close to the original size, design, etc. but still a departure from the original.

With the 15400 I found the ratios way off with regard to the case size and dial layout. My biggest issue with the 15400 is that AP took the 15300 movement and stuck it into the larger (41mm) case of the 15400. This results in the date moving inwards on the dial diminishing the original look/design, throwing off the ratios. This was a lazy move (IMHO) on AP's part in an effort to meet the market demands for a larger case. I don't expect these types of shortcuts when purchasing a high-end luxury timepiece and this further cemented my preference for the 15202. This, however, has not diminished the popularity of this model.

The good news is that there's an AP for everyone with the large number of ROs and ROOs that have been and are on the market.

IMG_2959 by Andrew C, on Flickr

AP Adjustment Tool by Andrew C, on Flickr
Andrew NYC is offline   Reply With Quote