The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 December 2023, 10:37 AM   #1
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Longines x Hodinkee

Anybody following the anticipated release tomorrow? Any guess would it might be?

I like the original Heritage Classic “Sector” the two released a couple of years ago.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2023, 12:35 AM   #2
buddenfan
Banned

Im kinda tired of these brand x watch syndication collabs

Bought into the hype for a smaller release this past year for Hodinkee x Autodromo and never wore it :(
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_8355.jpeg (72.3 KB, 504 views)
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2023, 01:01 AM   #3
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Wow I love it

https://le.hodinkee.com/longines-zul...rbZM%3D.UHTEkW

I honestly would love to have this

Just calculated the cost tho for UK import - sad face

Although tbh I am not keen on owning a hodinkee. I don’t see why Longines couldn’t have just done this and made it available globally
kkqd1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2023, 01:41 AM   #4
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Feel like Hodinkee are releasing a limited edition collaboration about twice a month at this point.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2023, 01:47 AM   #5
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
Feel like Hodinkee are releasing a limited edition collaboration about twice a month at this point.
Yeah. And can’t seem to be able to shift them.
Old 6 December 2023, 01:49 AM   #6
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Just to save people visiting hodinkee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 December 2023, 02:30 AM   #7
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Thinner than black bay pro…..I think looks pretty good.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2023, 03:17 AM   #8
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Thinner than black bay pro…..I think looks pretty good.
Agreed. I prefer the aesthetics of the BB Pro but can’t get over the thickness but agree the Longines is a good looking piece.

I’d have to try on this Longines but on paper, I dig the dimensions.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2023, 03:23 AM   #9
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

I take it back. I think I like the Longines aesthetic better. I believe it’s because the bezel doesn’t have the vertical markings between the markings like the Tudor does.
Old 6 December 2023, 06:08 AM   #10
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
This is a gorgeous watch and love that is in a 39mm case.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2023, 07:33 AM   #11
pbr
"TRF" Member

I've ordered one to evaluate and decide if I'm going to keep it. It's likely going to be between this and a Tudor BB GMT (with a bezel change...more below).

I'm waiting on a BLRO (who isn't?) and even if I had that now, I'd want a less expensive, less flashy and more easily replacable GMT for traveling to certain places. I don't want another "Pepsi" for when I eventually do get the BLRO, but haven't really found anything that speaks to me. The Zulu Time 39mm came close, but the dial is just too busy and I'm not a fan of the large lugs and 21mm lug width.

So I've ordered a black bezel from Steel Reef (not enough posts to share links), but picture attached below.

The slab case is really the only downside in my mind. I'd replace the blue/red bezel with the black above and likely put an Unclestraps jubilee and swap it out with an Everest rubber strap.

I'm not usually a fan of the raw steel (colored in this case, aluminum) bezel (as seen in the Explorer II and BB Pro), but the titanium construction and improved dial of the Longines x Hodinkee version intrigues me. And I'd really prefer a rotating bezel so that's kept me from the Explorer II and BB Pro.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 3.29.58 PM.png (265.8 KB, 421 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 3.30.19 PM.png (283.6 KB, 418 views)
pbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2023, 07:41 AM   #12
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr View Post
I've ordered one to evaluate and decide if I'm going to keep it. It's likely going to be between this and a Tudor BB GMT (with a bezel change...more below).

I'm waiting on a BLRO (who isn't?) and even if I had that now, I'd want a less expensive, less flashy and more easily replacable GMT for traveling to certain places. I don't want another "Pepsi" for when I eventually do get the BLRO, but haven't really found anything that speaks to me. The Zulu Time 39mm came close, but the dial is just too busy and I'm not a fan of the large lugs and 21mm lug width.

So I've ordered a black bezel from Steel Reef (not enough posts to share links), but picture attached below.

The slab case is really the only downside in my mind. I'd replace the blue/red bezel with the black above and likely put an Unclestraps jubilee and swap it out with an Everest rubber strap.

I'm not usually a fan of the raw steel (colored in this case, aluminum) bezel (as seen in the Explorer II and BB Pro), but the titanium construction and improved dial of the Longines x Hodinkee version intrigues me. And I'd really prefer a rotating bezel so that's kept me from the Explorer II and BB Pro.

Good for you!

Post some photos when it arrives.

I wish I could get one.
Old 6 December 2023, 07:44 AM   #13
pbr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post
Good for you!

Post some photos when it arrives.

I wish I could get one.

Will do!
Old 7 December 2023, 09:16 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

still available. Imho the Tudor looks like a far more finely finished product.

guess the 500 didn't sell so fast. a sign of the times, perhaps?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 09:38 AM   #15
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:

Oh man if Tudor releases something like that on your photo at 40mm and thinner case with the crown flush, im in!!
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 10:21 AM   #16
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Looks like an offspring of Tudor + GS late night hookup.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 10:43 AM   #17
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Looks like an offspring of Tudor + GS late night hookup.
In the parking lot at a Homosassa Truck Stop.

Epic

#FloridaMan
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 7 December 2023, 11:56 AM   #18
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Old 7 December 2023, 05:41 PM   #19
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Looks good but unsure why they went for titanium on a GMT. Longines on a roll at the moment with 39mm watches.

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 10:41 PM   #20
pbr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Oh man if Tudor releases something like that on your photo at 40mm and thinner case with the crown flush, im in!!
Yeah, I'm guessing the decision for me is going to come down to the thickness of the BB GMT and the lug width/size of the Longines/Hodinkee Zulu Time and I'm pretty sure the Tudor is going to win. This watch isn't going to see a lot of time under cuffs so the ability to change the bracelet to the Unclestraps Jubilee (and a bit easier to find straps for the 22mm lug width) and the dot indices instead of arabic numberals will be better for my presbyopia in low light.

The LE Zulu Time should be here tomorrow so I'll take it to my AD and put it side by side with the BB GMT and go from there.
Old 7 December 2023, 10:49 PM   #21
pbr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
Looks good but unsure why they went for titanium on a GMT. Longines on a roll at the moment with 39mm watches.

I had a Omega Seamaster NTTD and loved the weight of the titanium, especially when I put it on a strap. The more muted hue of titanium also appeals to me in most non-dressy occasions. As far as the GMT complication, why not? Something else to set it apart. Titanium is usually a worthwhile cost upgrade over steel in a watch in my mind.
Old 7 December 2023, 10:55 PM   #22
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I had a Omega Seamaster NTTD and loved the weight of the titanium, especially when I put it on a strap. The more muted hue of titanium also appeals to me in most non-dressy occasions. As far as the GMT complication, why not? Something else to set it apart. Titanium is usually a worthwhile cost upgrade over steel in a watch in my mind.

It’s something i associate with water. The anti corrosion piece plays to that. That’s why, imo, the best titanium watches are divers.

Each to their own though. It’s a great looking watch.

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2023, 11:12 PM   #23
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Agreed! That mock-up looks fantastic!

Get the case down to 13.5mm or less, all black, and I’m a buyer.
Old 7 December 2023, 11:43 PM   #24
pbr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
It’s something i associate with water. The anti corrosion piece plays to that. That’s why, imo, the best titanium watches are divers.

Each to their own though. It’s a great looking watch.

I get that. And if Rolex ever makes a titanium Submariner, I'll reach out to my AD immediately.

For this watch, I'm kind of looking for a GADA watch, but more of a single watch for travel. Something with the ability to track two (or more) timezones, water resistant enough for any pool/beach/water avtivities that I do, and be dressy enough for dinner. It would be nice to have a titanium option for that, but it's far down the list of requirements.
Old 7 December 2023, 11:46 PM   #25
pbr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
Agreed! That mock-up looks fantastic!

Get the case down to 13.5mm or less, all black, and I’m a buyer.
It's not just a mock-up, it's an offering by Steel Reef:

https://steel-reef.com/collections/c...bay-gmt-bezels

It seems the black (and others) are limited initial runs. Supposedly it should ship very soon (they claimed near December 1 and a response to an email inquiry yesterday said they're being prepared for shipment).

A thinner case would certainly be welcome, but it's the closest thing I've found to what I'm looking for.
Old 7 December 2023, 11:59 PM   #26
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's not just a mock-up, it's an offering by Steel Reef:

https://steel-reef.com/collections/c...bay-gmt-bezels

It seems the black (and others) are limited initial runs. Supposedly it should ship very soon (they claimed near December 1 and a response to an email inquiry yesterday said they're being prepared for shipment).

A thinner case would certainly be welcome, but it's the closest thing I've found to what I'm looking for.
Wow! I knew them for their easylink-style clasps but these bezels look great. I think I prefer the black but this white dial GMT with blue bezel looks sharp as well.
Old 8 December 2023, 01:38 AM   #27
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Excellent value at $3,800 especially in titanium. I like it!

39mm won't work for me unfortunately, but I know a lot of folks love that size.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 05:06 AM   #28
pbr
"TRF" Member

Well. That's not exactly a comforting way to open a box with a brand new watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0964.JPG (126.4 KB, 184 views)
Old 9 December 2023, 05:26 AM   #29
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ yipes, hope it didn't scratch the Limited Edition metal.

still available to buy...

Old 9 December 2023, 05:49 AM   #30
pbr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
^^^ yipes, hope it didn't scratch the Limited Edition metal.

It looks like since they sized it to 7" (ish?), it doesn't clasp easily on the pillow.
I'm not sure if it jostled in transit or if it was left in that position. Either way, it's not exactly confidence insporing.

Getting over the 21mm lug width was going to be tough anyways, but the absolute lack of care in packaging really makes me not want to mess with this. And it was purchased directly from Longines.

I like the watch, but I don't think I love it. The bracelet is more comfortable than I was anticipating, though it needs to be sized. It is very light on the wrist. I think I'd prefer it over a BB Pro (rotating bezel), but with the bezel option above, I'm going to give a hard look at the BB GMT. The Longines x Hodinkee has a lot going for it, but likely too much against it for it to be a keeper for me. Longines has a 30-day return policy, so I have time to better evaluate it.