The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2014, 05:18 AM   #1
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Any regrets from owners of the 116520 SS Daytona?

I was on the verge of purchasing a GMT-IIC until the poll here steered me toward a watch that I've always admired but never truly considered - the modern SS Daytona.

I recall hearing about the wait list and exclusiveness of the piece, but the price tag (about 20% less than what it is now ) put an end to my pursuits. I couldn't justify the premium of the chrono over the Sub-C Date and GMT-IIC. Material-wise, it seemed equivalent to the EXP-II, which was 40% less the cost.

Thanks to you guys, the white 116520 is all I think of now.
Its curves and clean details are timeless and will definitely be a keeper.

However, I'm curious to know if any of you encountered regrets and ended up flipping it? If so, why?
Hodinkee recently had a story with Eric Singer, who said the 116520 is a watch everyone should have - but he rarely wears it himself.

Is there a "new-money" stigma to it? Seems like it's the flagship symbol for Hollywood success, and pretty much copied and tributed to the death by other manufacturers.

Photo borrowed from beshannon:
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 05:20 AM   #2
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
I love mine. No regrets at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.7 KB, 1528 views)
Old 24 June 2014, 05:21 AM   #3
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
My only regret is not getting one sooner.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 05:45 AM   #4
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
No regrets. Picked up my 116520 white dial Daytona back at the end of 2010 as a Christmas present for myself. At that time, the SS Daytona started to become more available. I remember there was a black and white dial Chose the white dial in the end.

There are many people who state the Daytona is too small, but to me, the size is perfect. Not too big and not too small. The PCL's give the watch a nice dressier look, so it can be worn with a suit or jeans. I must admit, I do not wear mine with my suits as often, but do wear it out a lot during weekend and evening events.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 05:46 AM   #5
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Great pic there! No, no regrets.
Old 24 June 2014, 05:52 AM   #6
submariner123
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I'm still not sure whether to get one or not. It is a pretty watch, but it wears small and is quite underwhelming on the wrist compared to my Sub.
submariner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 05:58 AM   #7
T.S.Eliot
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
I don't think any explanation is needed here

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
"Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, / Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep seas swell / And the profit and loss. / A current under sea / Picked his bones in whispers. / As he rose and fell / He passed the stages of his age and youth / Entering the whirlpool. / Gentile or Jew / O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, / Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you."

Cheers,
K
T.S.Eliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 06:14 AM   #8
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I flipped mine after 6 months. I bought it more for the "chase" and the dealer actually had it in stock. I didn't like the white face or the silvery subdials.

With that said, I love the black and slate WG dials and the chocalate RG ceramic daytona.
Old 24 June 2014, 06:54 AM   #9
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I think it's a great watch. My wife's favorite actually. However it's a relatively light watch. I much prefer the platinum version.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 06:55 AM   #10
Touring
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Nope.
Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 07:12 AM   #11
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
I bought mine last Christmas, and am sorry to say that I am yet to fall in love with it.

I find it a little difficult to tell the time at a glance, very shiny, and light in weight. The fact that I have since bought 2 further pieces (BLNR and 216570) probably don't help it to get much wrist time.

It is a watch that I dreamt of owning for years, but I suspect it may get flipped....

Sorry to sound negative!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.9 KB, 1430 views)

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 07:13 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
. . .

However, I'm curious to know if any of you encountered regrets and ended up flipping it? If so, why?
. . .
Nope

Old 24 June 2014, 07:16 AM   #13
NickTruswell
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivek View Post
I bought mine last Christmas, and am sorry to say that I am yet to fall in love with it.

I find it a little difficult to tell the time at a glance, very shiny, and light in weight. The fact that I have since bought 2 further pieces (BLNR and 216570) probably don't help it to get much wrist time.

It is a watch that I dreamt of owning for years, but I suspect it may get flipped....

Sorry to sound negative!
Ditto bought the watch, tried to like it but just didn't work for me. Ended up trading it for a ceramic bluesy
NickTruswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 07:17 AM   #14
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I think it's a great watch. My wife's favorite actually. However it's a relatively light watch. I much prefer the platinum version.
If the price is the same, I would prefer the Platona as well!
Old 24 June 2014, 07:18 AM   #15
psv
"TRF" Member

I had one (black dial) but it didn't last, even after I put a slate (WG) dial on it. The quality, finish, fit and movement are all top notch, and the watch is legendary, but the current iteration is just a bit too shiny IMO. The highly polished sub-dials cheapen the impression, which is something that Rolex changed around the V-serial. And would prefer a version without PCL.

Having said that, I would be interested in trying out a white dial one to see if it sticks.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 07:20 AM   #16
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Thanks, I appreciate the honest feedback!
I see 3 preowned currently in FS by Trusted Sellers, so you may not be the only one.
Personally am also not a fan of the PCL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivek View Post

Sorry to sound negative!
Old 24 June 2014, 07:28 AM   #17
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate the honest feedback!
I see 3 preowned currently in FS by Trusted Sellers, so you may not be the only one.
Personally am also not a fan of the PCL...
Funny thing about the PCLs....I love them on the BLNR, not so much on the Daytona....

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 07:40 AM   #18
T.S.Eliot
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I much prefer it too except I would like to keep my arm & leg in the process

Did you get one Mike?
"Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, / Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep seas swell / And the profit and loss. / A current under sea / Picked his bones in whispers. / As he rose and fell / He passed the stages of his age and youth / Entering the whirlpool. / Gentile or Jew / O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, / Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you."

Cheers,
K
T.S.Eliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 07:52 AM   #19
doubleroll
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Not a smidgen of regret ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1403560332.548912.jpg (90.2 KB, 1368 views)
Old 24 June 2014, 07:58 AM   #20
fsouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex daytona
Regrets?

My only regret connected with ownership of the Daytona is when my sickness kicks in and I decide to peruse something else. I always regret selling or trading any Daytona I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

As far as it being a new money thing or anything other than what it is, I personally feel that the stainless Daytona is the perfect design. Even though I have a larger wrist (8"), it's size is perfect and it is one of the most comfortable watches that I have ever worn. The Daytona is PERFECTION!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (115.5 KB, 1360 views)
fsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 08:31 AM   #21
Rolextraderflorida
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228238
Daytonas are great...I like having a date window, so I don't wear one often, but they look sweet!!
Rolextraderflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 08:35 AM   #22
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

It's a great watch and as long as you're clear in your mind about your sincere intentions for buying it, you should have no regrets. If you buy it in order to convey a certain status, that feeling may subside over time. Best of luck.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 08:54 AM   #23
111forza
"TRF" Member

No regrets here

Congrats You're gonna love it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.9 KB, 1301 views)
111forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 09:03 AM   #24
iclick
"TRF" Member

I've had my 116520 (white dial) now for about five months and have worn it maybe five times since then. My vintage GMT is still my daily wearer, and if my new-to-me Tudor Big Block chrono ever gets out of service the Daytona may be playing third fiddle to the others.

I've maintained a love-hate emotional state with my Daytona, but the virtue-to-vice balance isn't skewed toward the negative enough for me to flip it just yet. Here's my take on it so far, and I just love these opportunities to make pro and con lists!

Pros:
  • A beautiful piece of watch sculpture. It makes me feel good when I'm wearing it, and sometimes I even think I look good, too, which is a real stretch into Fantasyland.
  • State of the art mechanical design.
  • Very comfortable to wear, about equal to my GMT. Not too big or small on my smallish 7" wrist.

Cons:
  • Overall poor readability. My eyes are quite good, but in most lighting situations I must stare at the dial briefly and move the watch around to achieve a good read on the primary hands. My GMT is much easier to read and it may have me spoiled. Unfortunately, the sub-dials are no better in this regard. Part of this problem lies with the nature of any chronograph with its busy dial, but another aspect is that the hands and dial do not usually contrast well. I'm talking about good lighting here, but in low-light situations it gets much worse.
  • Lack of a date wheel. Is is a minor vice for me, as although I'm accustomed to having a date function I can always look at my phone on the rare occasions I need to check the date.
  • This is a personal problem, but if your watch is in mint shape you may find the polished case, bezel, clasp, and PCLs to be intimidating. I want to keep the watch looking good and it wouldn't take much in the course of a normal day to scratch it. Some say "damn the torpedoes, just wear it," but this isn't that easy for me with this watch. By contrast my GMT and Tudor are both largely brushed SS and they can take the bumps of everyday life without much adverse effect.
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 09:06 AM   #25
Scotswierdo
Banned

Its perfect!...congrats!
Scotswierdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 09:10 AM   #26
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Any regrets from owners of the 116520 SS Daytona?

Photo borrowed from beshannon:
Thanks, yes I have one regret.

I do not wear it enough!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 09:13 AM   #27
Typhoon7
"TRF" Member

My only regret is that I didn't buy it first. When buying my first Rolex, the AD had a white SS Daytona. I really couldn't decide between it and a two tone black dial sub. Chose the Sub. Wish I hadn't.

Recently got the SS Daytona. Like the Sub, love the Daytona. My Subs aren't getting any wrist time. Probably won't either. May flip the Subs. Also have the ND SubC.

Everybody's different, but I don't share the dial readability issues on the Daytona. I can see the dial and sub dials just fine.

Good luck with your decision!
Typhoon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 09:14 AM   #28
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
I have or had every watch in the Rolex sport line up, as for the Daytona it is my favorite for three reasons..

I think it is visually to me the most appealing

I think it's balance as a watch on your wrist is near perfect

Thirdly, I race at Daytona, and with that watch on as well as it's racing history on track at Daytona, nirvana for me

This version happens to be my favorite, a somewhat stealthy SS look and the weight of platinum...

tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 09:14 AM   #29
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
like many on here, only regret is not getting it sooner! love my 116520.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2014, 09:18 AM   #30
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing!
While I am still fond of the white dial, the polished bezel and lugs is looking more and more scratch prone. Never tried one in the wild, good to know about its legibility.

Many of you know I'm saving toward a PP 5800/5711, and my rationale is I can always flip this Daytona down the line with relative ease, albeit taking that 2K hit.
If I'm committing to the purchase, it would be new from an AD in the very possible event it becomes a keeper for life. Then I would bypass the Nautilus and go for a PP 5146 or ALS.

Part of me is still trying to justify why the 116520 with no date, no GMT, and no ceramic bezel is $4K more than the GMTII-C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclick View Post
I've had my 116520 (white dial) now for about five months and have worn it maybe five times since then. My vintage GMT is still my daily wearer, and if my new-to-me Tudor Big Block chrono ever gets out of service the Daytona may be playing third fiddle to the others.

I've maintained a love-hate emotional state with my Daytona, but the virtue-to-vice balance isn't skewed toward the negative enough for me to flip it just yet. Here's my take on it so far, and I just love these opportunities to make pro and con lists!

Pros:
  • A beautiful piece of watch sculpture. It makes me feel good when I'm wearing it, and sometimes I even think I look good, too, which is a real stretch into Fantasyland.
  • State of the art mechanical design.
  • Very comfortable to wear, about equal to my GMT. Not too big or small on my smallish 7" wrist.

Cons:
  • Overall poor readability. My eyes are quite good, but in most lighting situations I must stare at the dial briefly and move the watch around to achieve a good read on the primary hands. My GMT is much easier to read and it may have me spoiled. Unfortunately, the sub-dials are no better in this regard. Part of this problem lies with the nature of any chronograph with its busy dial, but another aspect is that the hands and dial do not usually contrast well. I'm talking about good lighting here, but in low-light situations it gets much worse.
  • Lack of a date wheel. Is is a minor vice for me, as although I'm accustomed to having a date function I can always look at my phone on the rare occasions I need to check the date.
  • This is a personal problem, but if your watch is in mint shape you may find the polished case, bezel, clasp, and PCLs to be intimidating. I want to keep the watch looking good and it wouldn't take much in the course of a normal day to scratch it. Some say "damn the torpedoes, just wear it," but this isn't that easy for me with this watch. By contrast my GMT and Tudor are both largely brushed SS and they can take the bumps of everyday life without much adverse effect.