The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 October 2017, 10:50 AM   #1
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
The official paintings appreciation thread part II: paint harder

Greetings TRF,

A few years ago I started a thread on paintings and I had quite a few interesting pictures and opinions from different people who enjoyed various styles. Therefore, I thought it would be fun to start another one and see if any new members (and older ones) are up for a discussion.

Since the last time I posted I must admit my tastes have changed tremendously, the recent events and auctions at Christie's, Sotheby's, De Pury's and other houses have really opened my eyes to the world of abstract and expressionism/neo-expressionism. At the risk of sounding like a hipster, I was absolutely amazed by some paintings I have seen.

Below is the painting that started it all, I only stumbled upon it on Linkedin when it was sold and had never even taken the time to do some research on Jean-Michel Basquiat, I only remembered his name because Sam (Fremstar) nicknamed his gold GMT-Master after him. To say I was flabbergasted by it is quite the understatement.

So, do tell, TRF, what style are you into? Care to share some pictures and thoughts?
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 01:36 PM   #2
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Well, seems like this one is off to a slow start if ever it will start.

I'm not going to needlessly bump this thread, however, surely some members do enjoy various styles of art? Perhaps some would like to say what they like or dislike about the ones I am posting here?

What do you guys think of Basquiat, Pollock, Rothko or De Kooning? Have you a favorite painter?

- André Fortin
Old 20 October 2017, 01:50 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
nice thread. i like Ugo Nespolo. today he's really a commercial pop artist but i like his use of color. in his early years he was really trippy and out there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xnespolo_5_monumenti_italici_web.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ImSaHtOF4H.jpg (32.5 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg 41357-nespolo.jpg (100.3 KB, 343 views)
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 01:55 PM   #4
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
I've always loved Monet and post impressionism.

One of my favorite paintings is Rouen Cathedral series, Monet, one of which is in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.

It does not mean that i don't love a lot of other art from different eras. :)
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 04:22 PM   #5
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Hey Carl. Long time no see my friend. Great topic. Although I wish I had more interest in literature than what I have, I compensate that weakness with a great appreciation for art history. It was a dream of mine when I was in college to travel the world and visit the most important museums - no money at that time to even think of doing that -, but many years passed and I'm fortunate to have that dream accomplished many times and I still enjoy it every year. To make a long post short I'll leave the Impressionists alone (love them of course), because I really love perpsctive so the masters IMHO are the Baroque painters (1600-1750), like my favorites Rembrandt, Velazquez and Vermeer. Here's one of each. Las Meninas - Velazquez (Museo del Prado), Girl with a Pearl Earring - Vermeer (Mauritshuis), The Nightwatch - Rembrandt (Rijksmuseum).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LM.jpg (19.3 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg GPE.jpg (16.7 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg NW.jpg (186.6 KB, 332 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 10:21 PM   #6
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Great posts my friends, keep them coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
nice thread. i like Ugo Nespolo. today he's really a commercial pop artist but i like his use of color. in his early years he was really trippy and out there...
I quite like what you are showing. Although I don't know Nespolo, his shapes and use of very vibrant colors is really kind of the eye, that's lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
I've always loved Monet and post impressionism.

One of my favorite paintings is Rouen Cathedral series, Monet, one of which is in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.

It does not mean that i don't love a lot of other art from different eras. :)
Beautiful paintings, hopefully I get to see one in the flesh one day.

Of course, the thread is not only about expressionism. I like many different kinds of paintings and appreciate getting to discover more everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Hey Carl. Long time no see my friend. Great topic. Although I wish I had more interest in literature than what I have, I compensate that weakness with a great appreciation for art history. It was a dream of mine when I was in college to travel the world and visit the most important museums - no money at that time to even think of doing that -, but many years passed and I'm fortunate to have that dream accomplished many times and I still enjoy it every year. To make a long post short I'll leave the Impressionists alone (love them of course), because I really love perpsctive so the masters IMHO are the Baroque painters (1600-1750), like my favorites Rembrandt, Velazquez and Vermeer. Here's one of each. Las Meninas - Velazquez (Museo del Prado), Girl with a Pearl Earring - Vermeer (Mauritshuis), The Nightwatch - Rembrandt (Rijksmuseum).
Good to see you Flavio, I hope all is well.

Good for you for being able to travel and seeing paintings you could only see in books or online before.

There is something impressive about being able to reproduce faces and shapes on a canvas with such precision. Although impressionists do spend a lot of time and energy on their paintings, baroque painters and their art of making various shades on one face is just as fascinating to me.

Although not from the same era or style, one of my (if not the very) all-time favorite paintings has always been Goya's Saturn devouring his son. The details on certain parts of his body mixed with the blurry rest of it gives quite the effect.

- André Fortin
Old 20 October 2017, 11:08 PM   #7
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post

Good for you for being able to travel and seeing paintings you could only see in books or online before.

There is something impressive about being able to reproduce faces and shapes on a canvas with such precision. Although impressionists do spend a lot of time and energy on their paintings, baroque painters and their art of making various shades on one face is just as fascinating to me.

Although not from the same era or style, one of my (if not the very) all-time favorite paintings has always been Goya's Saturn devouring his son. The details on certain parts of his body mixed with the blurry rest of it gives quite the effect.

Fascinating indeed my friend. Another masterpiece at Museo del Prado.
Old 21 October 2017, 06:47 AM   #8
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fascinating indeed my friend. Another masterpiece at Museo del Prado.
Quite, yes.

I was always amazed by the look in Saturn's eyes and the expression on his face, he's not so much a merciless and horrific monster as he is someone who has completely lost his mind and eating his own child without even fully thinking about it. Perhaps he does not want to think it over and realize what he is doing.

It is kind of amusing to look at a painting like that or a baroque piece, seeing all the details that the painter has, in a meticulous way, put on his canvas.

Then, you look at a Rothko or a Kline, for instance, and find just as many details that were probably the result of an aggressive brush stroke or a random gesture, something that was just done spontaneously. It may sound pretentious but I don't even try too hard to find a meaning behind all these, I like to end up thinking of the painter himself doing it and the very numerous steps that led to the final result.

- André Fortin
Old 21 October 2017, 06:53 AM   #9
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Great posts my friends, keep them coming.

I quite like what you are showing. Although I don't know Nespolo, his shapes and use of very vibrant colors is really kind of the eye, that's lovely.

Beautiful paintings, hopefully I get to see one in the flesh one day.

Of course, the thread is not only about expressionism. I like many different kinds of paintings and appreciate getting to discover more everyday.

I’ve seen that painting in real life. It is hanging in the Museo del Prado in Madrid, Spain. It is a hauntingly disturbing painting.

I would like to acquire a Fabian Perez painting at some point but I’m not sure where I would hang it.

There are a few variations he has done of this painting but I like this one the best.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 07:04 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Hey Carl good to have you posting again! Took a quick pic of my "classics" wall. I've tried painting in a Rothko smouldering bricks style, a Damien Hirst Spot style and a Gerhard Richter Squigee style, but they didn't come out well so I just opted to get some cheerful prints instead to liven up the place.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 07:36 AM   #11
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Do gicle'e's count?

Tanner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tanner.jpg (219.2 KB, 272 views)
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 07:37 AM   #12
Abdullah71601
Banned

Here's some fake art, but it looks nice on this wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fake Art.jpg (258.5 KB, 273 views)
Old 21 October 2017, 07:42 AM   #13
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Do gicle'e's count?

Tanner.
I’m always surprised by how much those sell for.
Old 21 October 2017, 07:46 AM   #14
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I’m always surprised by how much those sell for.
The gicle'e is cheap, it's the limited edition, signed, and numbered bit that costs so much.
Old 21 October 2017, 09:39 AM   #15
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quite, yes.

I was always amazed by the look in Saturn's eyes and the expression on his face, he's not so much a merciless and horrific monster as he is someone who has completely lost his mind and eating his own child without even fully thinking about it. Perhaps he does not want to think it over and realize what he is doing.

It is kind of amusing to look at a painting like that or a baroque piece, seeing all the details that the painter has, in a meticulous way, put on his canvas.

Then, you look at a Rothko or a Kline, for instance, and find just as many details that were probably the result of an aggressive brush stroke or a random gesture, something that was just done spontaneously. It may sound pretentious but I don't even try too hard to find a meaning behind all these, I like to end up thinking of the painter himself doing it and the very numerous steps that led to the final result.

Eloquent words from a true admirer. Thanks for sharing.
Old 21 October 2017, 09:48 AM   #16
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
The gicle'e is cheap, it's the limited edition, signed, and numbered bit that costs so much.
Yeah, those are the ones I always seem to run across.
Old 21 October 2017, 10:24 AM   #17
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, those are the ones I always seem to run across.
I skipped that experience for the fake art. I saw some work at a gallery that made me say "I could do that". Then came home and made my own with acrylic on MDF. Saved about $3K and nobody knows it's not real art.
Old 21 October 2017, 01:13 PM   #18
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Great thread, Carl.

Pollock is my genius.

'Male and Female' is extraordinary and it was on view at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg male-and-female(1).jpg (235.2 KB, 252 views)

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 01:32 PM   #19
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
I made my own Modigliani, many years ago. Acrylic on canvas.

Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 01:39 PM   #20
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm enjoying this thread Keep 'em coming
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 04:23 AM   #21
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve seen that painting in real life. It is hanging in the Museo del Prado in Madrid, Spain. It is a hauntingly disturbing painting.

I would like to acquire a Fabian Perez painting at some point but I’m not sure where I would hang it.

There are a few variations he has done of this painting but I like this one the best.
Lucky you, I would love to see it one day...whenever I go to Spain I know this will be a must see.

That painting you posted is very dark and powerful, I love it. Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Hey Carl good to have you posting again! Took a quick pic of my "classics" wall. I've tried painting in a Rothko smouldering bricks style, a Damien Hirst Spot style and a Gerhard Richter Squigee style, but they didn't come out well so I just opted to get some cheerful prints instead to liven up the place.
Good to see you too Neil, I hope all is well.

That is quite the wall you have there, I am slowly getting into buying reproductions myself to hang on mine, I have many of them saved for future purchases but knowing myself it will get out of hand easily and quickly.

Care to show what you have painted? I would love to see that.

By the way, I love to see Guernica on your wall, it is my favorite painting by Picasso.

Quote:
Do gicle'e's count?

Tanner.
Yes they do!

Quote:
Eloquent words from a true admirer. Thanks for sharing.
That's how I like to see it and that's how I end up talking to people who will absolutely hate that and think it's an insult to art. Mind you, to each their own but I like to bring a new perspective in my way of thinking every now and then, it is what helped me enjoying what I use to dislike.

Quote:
I skipped that experience for the fake art. I saw some work at a gallery that made me say "I could do that". Then came home and made my own with acrylic on MDF. Saved about $3K and nobody knows it's not real art.
So that "fake art" is your own work? That's actually very nice and I would not call it fake at all, I love the mix of colors in there and surely you had to think of something while you were doing it. Are you planning on making this a hobby? Is it already one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Great thread, Carl.

Pollock is my genius.

'Male and Female' is extraordinary and it was on view at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
That's really amazing, lovely.

Pollock really grew on me in the past months, I now look forward to getting to know much more about his paintings. In Quebec we had Jean-Paul Riopelle, he's made a few masterpieces as well.

Best part is, he had quite the sense of humor. He would say "my paintings are easy to recognize, they look like a sheet on which a house painter wiped his brushes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
I made my own Modigliani, many years ago. Acrylic on canvas.
Very beautiful, I like the shading effects you have added, I am always intrigued by how people can end up blending it and making it look natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I'm enjoying this thread Keep 'em coming
Will do, feel free to share what you like.

On a side note, Yoko Ono is putting her Basquiat on sale at Sotheby's. It is estimated to reach 9 to 12 million dollars but I suspect it will end up selling for much more...especially if Yusaku Maezawa ends up liking it. Anyone is interested in chipping in with me?

- André Fortin
Old 22 October 2017, 06:42 AM   #22
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:

So that "fake art" is your own work? That's actually very nice and I would not call it fake at all, I love the mix of colors in there and surely you had to think of something while you were doing it. Are you planning on making this a hobby? Is it already one?

I needed a color balance for the room and chose these colors. Each painting evokes a sensation I enjoy (party in yellow, ocean in blue, forest in green) without actually depicting anything in particular.

I used to paint landscapes in oil as a hobby, but evolved to lampworking glass. The hiss of the torch is cathartic and glass has a magical quality that paint just can't duplicate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue.jpg (263.2 KB, 231 views)
Old 22 October 2017, 07:04 AM   #23
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I needed a color balance for the room and chose these colors. Each painting evokes a sensation I enjoy (party in yellow, ocean in blue, forest in green) without actually depicting anything in particular.

I used to paint landscapes in oil as a hobby, but evolved to lampworking glass. The hiss of the torch is cathartic and glass has a magical quality that paint just can't duplicate.
Very nice, I didn't know that.

Please do feel free to share more if you will, both lampworking glass and paintings.

Are you planning on ever doing more of these abstract paintings? Did you enjoy the process or was it really just a matter of putting color in your room?

- André Fortin
Old 22 October 2017, 07:28 AM   #24
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Very nice, I didn't know that.

Please do feel free to share more if you will, both lampworking glass and paintings.

Are you planning on ever doing more of these abstract paintings? Did you enjoy the process or was it really just a matter of putting color in your room?
I enjoy painting, but just don't have the time any longer. Maybe when I retire I'll go back to it.
Old 22 October 2017, 10:08 PM   #25
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I enjoy painting, but just don't have the time any longer. Maybe when I retire I'll go back to it.
Understandable, free time can easily be seen as a luxury when you work.

- André Fortin
Old 23 October 2017, 05:17 PM   #26
Dartmouthbrian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Bronze
I have a lot of art. Not sure I'd say I have one particular style that I love over another. Here is one of my favorites that I own.

It's an original signed Klimowsky from 1986.

More art pics to come in the next few days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1782.JPG (74.4 KB, 190 views)
Dartmouthbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 08:11 PM   #27
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Hi Carl. I am a lifelong fan of the arts, particularly painting, although favouring more traditional styles.
Apart from the French Impressionists and the old Masters like Rembrandt, who everybody loves, my favourites are the Australian Impressionists (Sequentially below: Charles Conder, Fred McCubbin, Tom Roberts, Arthur Streeton)
The work of Aboriginal artist Albert Namajira is unique.
In a more modernist vein, I like Jeffrey Smart's work.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 11:02 PM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Great thread Carl I love art and always enjoy visiting the major museums when traveling.

Given Halloween is approaching I'll put in a vote for Edvard Munch's scream.

Old 24 October 2017, 07:29 AM   #29
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Van Gogh is my favorite by far. I love his paradigm and technique.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 09:22 PM   #30
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmouthbrian View Post
I have a lot of art. Not sure I'd say I have one particular style that I love over another. Here is one of my favorites that I own.

It's an original signed Klimowsky from 1986.

More art pics to come in the next few days.
This is very nice, do you have more of him?

Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Hi Carl. I am a lifelong fan of the arts, particularly painting, although favouring more traditional styles.
Apart from the French Impressionists and the old Masters like Rembrandt, who everybody loves, my favourites are the Australian Impressionists (Sequentially below: Charles Conder, Fred McCubbin, Tom Roberts, Arthur Streeton)
The work of Aboriginal artist Albert Namajira is unique.
In a more modernist vein, I like Jeffrey Smart's work.
It's good to see you chiming in Rocky, I like what you have posted. The last one is particularly striking to me, I like the absurdity of the subject. So many things in there simply do not belong together and yet they all gather in an strange way that you can only find interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Great thread Carl I love art and always enjoy visiting the major museums when traveling.

Given Halloween is approaching I'll put in a vote for Edvard Munch's scream.
A classic indeed and obviously the most well known out of all four Munch made, I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
Van Gogh is my favorite by far. I love his paradigm and technique.
Van Gogh does have quite the unique style, below is one of my favorites.

In a different style but similar in the sense that it is less abstract than what I have posted thus far, Paul Gaugin is not one to forget.

- André Fortin