The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 October 2017, 05:37 AM   #1
Gunzie
"TRF" Member

Watchfiner want my SD4000

Hi everyone,

I got a Seadweller 4000 last year from an AD, stunning watch.

Anyway they got discontinued shortly after and watchfinder have offered to buy mine. they offered me £7500 however sell them on their site for £9000-£10,250. I know they need to make a profit but I just wanted to know where you all think the price of the SD4000 is going in the next few years.

I have seen many people with daytona, submariner and yacht master but never see the SD4000.

Cheers
Gunzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
That's the way they work. 7500 is about right. you take a lower offer, but it's convenient.

If you want more, I suspect you'd be better off selling privately.....

As for where pricing goes, who knows - but it wasn't the most popular watch when it was in the lineup and would be a little surprised if it went up much more.....
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 05:39 PM   #3
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzie View Post
Hi everyone,

I got a Seadweller 4000 last year from an AD, stunning watch.

Anyway they got discontinued shortly after and watchfinder have offered to buy mine.
How do they know what you have to make you an offer? Just curious...
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 05:43 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Have to agree there is no way they would know unless the person trying to sell made a inquiry.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 06:47 PM   #5
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree there is no way they would know unless the person trying to sell made a inquiry.
Ya if it's been bought new from AD not thru website then there's no data linkage unless volunteered by owner.

Not like the routine calls from dealers we've bought from, just calling casually to ask if there's anything we're seeking or if we're ever thinking of reselling anything we've bought from them before. Some have spectacular memory, they even remember what we accidentally mention we also have, not previously bought from them. Haha they're pros at their game
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 06:50 PM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
they have wanted to buy every single watch of mine.... the ones i have asked them for a quote on at least.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 08:08 PM   #7
wb55
"TRF" Member

The difference between what they buy and what they sell is an assumption.

They *will* buy your watch for 7.5k and then *ask* £8,250-10,250.

I say £8,250+ as they just sold one last week which was advertised as £8,250 for a full set - 2014 Watch vvgc. No one knows what it sold for, but we do know what it was advertised for.

What you have to understand is historically badly selling rolexes became rare and highly sought after as a result of not many being about. The SD4K while an amazing watch didn’t sell well and wasn’t popular but is by no means of anyone’s imagination “rare”.

As for values, it’s up to you. There are some watches we can say are going up in value but with the SD4K only time will tell. Opinion is divided.
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 04:00 AM   #8
Gunzie
"TRF" Member

I paid a visit to them
Gunzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 06:07 AM   #9
MrTito
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, JLC Deep Sea
No offence, but when you say they want all your watches that you ask them to quote on, are you serious? They're a company that buy and sell watches, they don't quote for insurance purposes, it's because you've clicked 'I want to sell my watch'. And yes, obviously they're a business so oddly enough they will look to make a decent margin.... you will also note that you are required to give a price you are seeking when you ask for a quote. They didn't do this until quite recently, obviously you should aim high and then let them beat you down. The first couple of watches I sold to them the guys actually paid more on the day (only a couple of hundred quid), but it impressed me. But that was when you could go into their Corn Exchange store. It's all changed now as you have to go via the website and then book a consultation at Burlington Arcade. I recently sold them a DSSD and a PAM 243. Like a fool I proposed a low price for the PAM which they lapped up. Imagine my frustration (at myself) when it appeared on their website and sold in days for more than 2k more than I'd sold it to them for. My stupidity!
MrTito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 07:18 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
WF tend to offer well for most SS Rolexes, sometimes they will nudge up £2/300 if they really want your watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 07:23 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Too bad. Tell them they can't have it!
Old 18 October 2017, 10:38 AM   #12
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I wouldn’t sell them a virus.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 12:34 PM   #13
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

Don't sell your SD4000. It's a guaranteed winner! Prices are already up and will continue to do so. The first ceramic diver to be discontinued will always be sought after by collectors. Be patient and enjoy the classic.
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 10:59 PM   #14
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmt2 View Post
Don't sell your SD4000. It's a guaranteed winner! Prices are already up and will continue to do so. The first ceramic diver to be discontinued will always be sought after by collectors. Be patient and enjoy the classic.
^^^^THIS!!^^^^

There are few guaranties in Rolex collecting but one thing I would take a chance on is that unpopular at release usually translates to popular in the vintage market. So down the road this could be a sought after watch. That said if you want to roll this into another model that smiles to you more, I would sell privately rather than hand a re-seller your equity. JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 12:51 AM   #15
jojowells43
"TRF" Member

Keep it. As years go on you will notice an increase in price THEN you can sell if you want to!
jojowells43 is offline   Reply With Quote