The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 September 2011, 11:22 PM   #1
John N
"TRF" Member

Getting an Oyster Bracelet to fit properly

I have a Rolex yellow gold Oyster Perpetual Date (case dia. 36 mm) with a matching Oyster Bracelet, purchased in 2003. The bracelet was supposedly customised for my very small (circumference 16 cm) wrist, but the watch hung to the 12 o’clock side, was uncomfortable, and I rarely wore it. In 2007 a Rolex brown leather strap was fitted (with gold buckle). This fitted well, but I perceived it as a dress watch only option, and again rarely wore the watch. The yellow gold Oyster Bracelet was refitted earlier this year, this time with the bracelet reversed which effectively puts 4 links on the 6 o’clock side (lugs to clasp hinge), and 5 on the 12 o’clock side. This fits much better than as originally purchased, but not nearly as well as my other watches (Omega, Baume & Mercier, and Seiko). Again, I have rarely worn the Rolex. I have wondered about permanent link(s) removal, but am reluctant.

Do any of you Rolex enthusiasts have any fixes to suggest that I may have overlooked?
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2011, 11:25 PM   #2
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
Perhaps a jubliee bracelet will feel more comfortable
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2011, 12:44 AM   #3
buke45
Banned

Watch: Your Butt
Remove the link if it bothers you that much, I would.
buke45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2011, 01:00 AM   #4
chillviper
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
I had the RSC remove a permanent link on both my SD4K and my 1675. Now they are perfect fit and the clasp is centered.
chillviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2011, 02:17 AM   #5
dpkong
"TRF" Member

Watch: it!
if the bracelet is reversed and it still doesn't fit as well, then you can either live with it or remove permanent links.

or you could try the newer models where i believe there are more removable links.
dpkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2011, 02:19 AM   #6
John N
"TRF" Member

TRF members, thank you for your thoughtful replies which I have carefully considered. I also talked with the Rolex Service Centre in the UK, which told me that the only (new) 18 K yellow gold bracelet that can be matched to my watch is a GBP 5,320 (USD 8,350) Oyster one. It said that it would have to see the watch, and send it out to one of its jewellers to confirm whether the existing, or a new Oyster bracelet could be fitted to my wrist, and should the former be an option, quote for link removal.

I have come to the conclusion, possibly alarming to Rolex enthusiasts, that my best way forward is to continue to rarely wear the watch, hold it in safe keeping, bequeath it to the oldest male in the family when I die, and have it pass down through generations. That way I will continue to get pleasure from wearing my other watches, and have the added pleasure of knowing that the next generation will most likely appreciate this agreeable plan to inherit a yellow gold Rolex.

Thanks again for your thoughtful replies.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2011, 09:05 AM   #7
OysterDavid
Banned

Bracelet note

The post script to this thread is that the Oyster bracelet in question is a riveted link model, not the screw link model...so for those wondering what's the big deal about removing a link...the rivet is the big deal.

The solid gold Oyster bracelets for the Date model, whether 14K or 18K were riveted models for most of their years...and the only way to remove a link is to disengage the attaching rivet, remove the link or links and then reinsert the rivet and pound the end into the 'mushroom' shape to reattach the rivet holding the links together. It's not very noticable, but to the Rolex enthusiasts on the forum, it would probably stick out like a sore thumb, in addition, with the removed links, the smooth tapering from one link size to the next is broken...again, not overly obvious to the non enthusiast, but to most here, it would show on the six o clock side, if that's where the surgery occurs.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote