The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 October 2009, 12:20 PM   #1
dannyp
Banned

Getting a Rolex sized in LA

I expect my new toy will be arriving next week, and I'll need to get it sized. I've been at many LA-are ADs when browsing watches, but none who I'd say know anything about the service aspects of a Rolex, and have actually taken a bracelet apart before. I also don't have tools/manual dexterity to do it myself. I know I'm being paranoid, and it's pretty easy, but who would you say does these all the time and would be guaranteed to do it right? I thought of Wanna Buy A Watch on Melrose, as he specializes in restoring/selling vintage Rolex, but I'm open to suggestions. Too bad no more Bev Hills service center...
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Perhaps Geary's in Beverly Hills?
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2009, 03:07 PM   #3
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
. I also don't have tools/manual dexterity to do it myself. I know I'm being paranoid, and it's pretty easy, but who would you say does these all the time and would be guaranteed to do it right? .
I don't consider myself particularly handy with a screwdriver, but it's really the easiest thing to size a bracelet. All you need are: a small screwdriver, clear tape, love for your watch.
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2009, 03:11 PM   #4
USCpaneristi

Watch: Black SS Daytona
Sizing the bracelet is really quite easy

I agree with sakuraba. It's really a simple process, and as long as you use tape to protect the links, you'll have a nicely fitting bracelet without any scratches Having said that, if you're in the Newport Beach or Orange area there's a Paneristi there who works for an independent seller of watches that hires Rolex Certified Watchmakers (in fact, one of them I know used to work for the RSC in BH). You may wanna try there. I don't know if we're allowed to post names, but if you google it you should be able to find the name of the store.

Oh, and congrats on the watch. What do you have incoming?
USCpaneristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2009, 04:00 PM   #5
sushisummo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmmm......?
Save the money and just do it yourself.........very simple like everyone here says.

WISHLIST: Too many to list......
Member #23367
sushisummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2009, 04:36 PM   #6
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

very easy...do a search on this site...
or Geary's...
Old 4 October 2009, 06:58 PM   #7
dannyp
Banned

I wouldn't save any $ doing it myself, as I don't even own that small a screwdriver, and would have to buy it. Which Geary's should I go to, Rodeo or Beverly?
Old 4 October 2009, 07:05 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
As long as you have the correct size screwdriver its a very very very very simple job that anyone could do.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2009, 07:13 PM   #9
superdelsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6.
Sears Craftsman 5 piece precision screwdriver set $6.99. Comes in a nice plastic storage "capsule".

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...P?keyword=4107

Item# 00904107000 Mfr. Model# 4107
5 piece precision screwdriver set includes 1 Phillips and 4 slotted blades (.040, .055, .070, and .100 in.) and case.
Old 5 October 2009, 02:56 AM   #10
barstoolman
Banned

Try Craig Evan Small on LaCienega, just north of Melrose
barstoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2009, 11:10 AM   #11
dannyp
Banned

I ended up going to Wanna Buy A Watch since I had to be over there anyways. Wouldn't go back. I handed it to the owner, who then had the guy who doubles as "security" (guy sitting behind the front counter wearing a gun) actually do it. I should have said "thanks but no thanks" and left, but for some reason I didn't. After I left, I noticed a small mark on the side of one of the links, so he probably didn't use tape. I didn't check before, nor did I notice it while in the store so I couldn't do anything about it.

I would have gone to Geary's except I'd been in there when looking and then decided not to buy there because of price, so going back in would have been awkward. I should have taken the day to drive south as one of the above posters suggested.

I thought since these guys sell rare vintage Rolex and also do custom dials that they'd be good, but I bet the guy who sized mine isn't the one doing that!