The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Like it or no
Like 210 79.85%
What were they thinking? 53 20.15%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 March 2016, 03:30 AM   #31
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I love the combination of my two favorite complications. I travel a ton and love timing the flight time. I love the case and the pushers and the blue dial, but I don't love the dial layout.
Old 20 March 2016, 05:05 AM   #32
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Better choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
I love the combination of my two favorite complications. I travel a ton and love timing the flight time. I love the case and the pushers and the blue dial, but I don't love the dial layout.
Patek 5990. Truly useful GMT function with chronograph. If you travel the GMT function is a lot more useful than a world timer.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 05:06 AM   #33
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Patek 5990. Truly useful GMT function with chronograph. If you travel the GMT function is a lot more useful than a world timer.

Yes! I contemplated trading my 5711 and 5164 for that one, abut I couldn't get there. 5990 is blue is a different story.
Old 20 March 2016, 06:22 AM   #34
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I really like it, especially in the hands on pics which make the blue seem darker
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 06:29 AM   #35
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

I very much like the idea of it, but not convinced on the execution. I like that they decided to do something fresh and combine the WT complication with a chrono, but they aren't particularly useful together. The dial is REALLY busy and I don't love the fact that the "launch" of this reference is in blue.
Old 20 March 2016, 06:30 AM   #36
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
I love timing the flight too. This isn't the watch for that. This is a pasta timer with world time complication thrown in.
Old 20 March 2016, 08:06 AM   #37
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I think a more interesting poll would be - if you had $74K USD, would you buy it?

Patek produces many interesting watches. Yet there are many competing products to choose from and sometimes multiple watches for that price when it comes to a watch in this price range.

Since the 5170G/R is priced at $81K USD, if you had a choice, would you buy the 5930G or a 5170? Is the manual wind chrono more preferable or the automatic chrono with a world time?
jon_jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 08:18 AM   #38
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I think a more interesting poll would be - if you had $74K USD, would you buy it?

Patek produces many interesting watches. Yet there are many competing products to choose from and sometimes multiple watches for that price when it comes to a watch in this price range.

Since the 5170G/R is priced at $81K USD, if you had a choice, would you buy the 5930G or a 5170? Is the manual wind chrono more preferable or the automatic chrono with a world time?
That's a great question Jon. I have been thinking of the 5170g as a long term goal, but at the moment think I might prefer the 5930.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 08:40 AM   #39
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:

Manual Wind Chrono for me any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I plan to add one BUT am disappointed that the R versions dials are not different than the black dial in WG. The J had Roman numerals, White Dial G had breguet with pulsation scale, Black Dial G breguet minus the scale so I do not understand why they didnt choose to make this slightly different. All the more reason for me to hold out for the P
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 09:03 AM   #40
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:

for my money the manual wind is so much more.

just doesn't seem fair to compare and automatic movement with the ornate and detailed manual wind offerings. in my experience it is such a pleasure to wind and set the manual wind, not quite the same winding/setting the automatics.

all said, the 5930 is a spectacular watch at all levels, execution, size, case, dial, functionality and beautiful blue dial… i really like this watch, if it were manual wind, i would be breaking open my piggy bank right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Manual Wind Chrono for me any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I plan to add one BUT am disappointed that the R versions dials are not different than the black dial in WG. The J had Roman numerals, White Dial G had breguet with pulsation scale, Black Dial G breguet minus the scale so I do not understand why they didnt choose to make this slightly different. All the more reason for me to hold out for the P
agree re the manual wind

looking forward to see the P version as well, in my mind it will be spectacular
Old 20 March 2016, 10:44 AM   #41
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

LOL I think they should throw in a frew LASIK with every purchase!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I have resolved that issue!! To justify the purchase I am going for LASIK and that is the truth!
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 05:21 PM   #42
KarlS
Banned

Quote:

I cogitated on that option for a long time and in fact even through in 1815 chrono and Dato just to really muddy things up.

No denying the 5170G is absolutely beautiful. The breguet numbering I just love and I was a big fan of the old pulso scales. However a pure chrono to me is functionally useless. Its just a horological wonder and mechanical masterpiece to admire. I am not going to time my eggs boiling, my heart racing or do a 10 km run and see how I have done. But aesthetically I think a chrono is beautiful to look at. In this case I think its more dress watch.

The WT is probably one of the most important functions to me in my daily life. I look after operations in multiple time zones and thus its always handy for me to know what the time is before I bug the people. Its far more important to me than say a moonphase, AC, PC, diving to 3000 m etc.

So for roughly the same money I am buying a WT and getting a chrono thrown in (albeit I think with lower specs) . Its self winding so in theory more complicated!

However, if they had done a 5575 at say $50 000 level then i would have gone for that option....
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 09:33 PM   #43
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Why is a GMT more useful than a WT if you travel....does it do something xtra?
Old 20 March 2016, 10:39 PM   #44
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

It does something useful

Quote:
Why is a GMT more useful than a WT if you travel....does it do something xtra?
Why do pilots prefer the GMT to the world timer? Because it shows what's relevant: home time and local times on a 24 hour basis, and if it's smart, the local date. Knowing the time at 22 other data points around the world is irrelevant distraction if I'm traveling.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2016, 01:05 AM   #45
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
I would love a black version of this
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2016, 01:42 AM   #46
eonflux
"TRF" Member

My ideal watch would have a chronograph and a world timer, with the main time keeping part with GMT functionality. I travel frequently and have conference calls with people on other continents.
The new IWC world timer chronograph is pretty close, though I wish it had a 24-hour disc instead of the 24-hour hand.

Love the blue dial on this new Patek.
But wish the chronograph capacity was more than 30 min, it had a date, and the city disc has Daylight Savings indicators.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2016, 01:47 AM   #47
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
At first glance, I'm not crazy about it. The dial, though beautifully done in typical Patek fashion, is a little too cluttered for my taste. That said, I'm sure that it accomplishes its mission beautifully. I'd have to see one in the flesh to make a final judgment.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2016, 02:46 AM   #48
.db
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why do pilots prefer the GMT to the world timer? Because it shows what's relevant: home time and local times on a 24 hour basis, and if it's smart, the local date. Knowing the time at 22 other data points around the world is irrelevant distraction if I'm traveling.
I used to work in an environment where a world time would be a lot more useful than a GMT. We had teams across 4 time zones in three continents working on the same project. Traveling between them (or to a fifth location), I still wanted to know the time in the other spots. WT makes this super convenient. Sure, only 3-4 data points on the dial would be relevant to me, but the functionality is definitely handy!

And to answer the other question from earlier — as much as I like the 5930, I would choose a 5170R over it.
.db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2016, 04:24 AM   #49
archer75
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-AP- FPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Absolutely love it. I wasn't convinced when I first saw the stock photo, but I had a feeling it was going to look so much better once live photos came in.

+1
Many watches I like in the stock photo, I don't like them in flesh but this is on the contrary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2016, 06:18 AM   #50
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I quite like the mermaid/fish scales look.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2016, 09:20 AM   #51
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Not a watch for me but I find it cool, more or less same feeling i had for the pilot watch
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2016, 09:28 AM   #52
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Not a watch for me but I find it cool, more or less same feeling i had for the pilot watch
Arnaud, did you go to Basel? Any feedback?
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 09:03 AM   #53
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Courtesy of Monochrome and others

That is awesome.

What in the world does something like that cost?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 09:52 AM   #54
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I recognize this is a beautiful watch. For my wrist, nope. Too much writing on the dial, for a function I don't require or like.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 10:29 AM   #55
rollyp
"TRF" Member

Watch: where your hand is
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
That is awesome.

What in the world does something like that cost?
Exactly $73,712 USD
rollyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 01:08 PM   #56
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollyp View Post
Exactly $73,712 USD
Or £48 480 before VAT and £40 400 once you get the VAT back in the UK
Old 23 March 2016, 02:14 PM   #57
rollyp
"TRF" Member

Watch: where your hand is
Quote:
Or £48 000 before VAT and £40 000 once you get the VAT back in the UK
Damn, that's $17-19K USD cheaper, depending on the exchange rate/VAT refund total (!).
rollyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 02:31 PM   #58
fmc000
Banned

Underwhelming in person IMHO but, as usual, Patek puts their watches well being thick glass.

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 02:41 PM   #59
FTE2014
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712&5167&5130G
For me, the dial is too crowded. I personally dont like any additional complications such as moonphase, chrono hands etc. on the worldtime dial.
FTE2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 03:34 PM   #60
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollyp View Post
Damn, that's $17-19K USD cheaper, depending on the exchange rate/VAT refund total (!).
Thats the price I paid and thats full RP with no discount

Tags
5930 , basel 2016 , chrono , patek