The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 November 2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Chef_hacker
"TRF" Member

Tudor Submariner

What are your thoughts on this tudor?
Model number?
These are the only photos i have got to go on.

Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tudor1.jpg (73.2 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg tudor2.jpg (67.8 KB, 348 views)
Chef_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2012, 09:50 PM   #2
John in MA
"TRF" Member

early snowflake 7016 (notice the SWISS only on the dial).

That helps date it to sometime around 1970.

How To: Remove a Tudor Pelagos Endlink in 60 Seconds or Less
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2012, 10:44 PM   #3
drainaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to tell
Legit 7016 in my opinion. Lume seems in so so shape. Look at triangle at 12 o'clock. Pic of the dial is not detailed enough which does not help and dial seems rough instead of smooth? Strange.

Looks like lug chambers are in good shape too. Bracelet has seen better days. Caseback looks proper as well.

Main concern is shape of dial, but these Snowie dials age poorly across the board. There are much nicer ones out there IMHO. unless price was very attractive, I'd pass, mostly on dial condition.
drainaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2012, 10:44 PM   #4
drainaps
"TRF" Member

Legit 7016 in my opinion. Lume seems in so so shape. Look at triangle at 12 o'clock. Pic of the dial is not detailed enough which does not help and dial seems rough instead of smooth? Strange.

Looks like lug chambers are in good shape too. Bracelet has seen better days. Caseback looks proper as well.

Main concern is shape of dial, but these Snowie dials age poorly across the board. There are much nicer ones out there IMHO. unless price was very attractive, I'd pass, mostly on dial condition.
Old 29 November 2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Chef_hacker
"TRF" Member

Hi I might be able to get this for £1100 is this ok?
I like the fact the hands and dial have aged the same you see to many with white replacement hands.
Old 29 November 2012, 11:27 PM   #6
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_hacker View Post
Hi I might be able to get this for £1100 is this ok?
I like the fact the hands and dial have aged the same you see to many with white replacement hands.
Watch looks good from what little I can see in the photos, dial issues as noted above. For 1100 pounds - that is a fair/good deal. I would do it.

One day that dial will fall apart and you do need to be concerned about dial material falling into movement (though less so because no date window and being an ETA less costly to fix than a Rolex movement).
Old 30 November 2012, 12:51 AM   #7
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Very good catch at GBP 1100. Bracelet alone has a value of at least GBP 500 :-)
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 01:16 AM   #8
dxdaz

Watch: Smiths Astral
Hi, first post here so please go easy if I offend or break the rules.
I was also interested in this watch having seen it advertised in an Auction House, I would dearly love a Rolex Sub or GMT but funds dictate otherwise at the minute so I`m looking for a Tudor Sub. This caught my eye and in research I stumbled across this forum. I`ve not seen the watch in the flesh as it`s over 200 miles away so I emailed the auction house for serial numbers , paperwork etc. Having just received a reply from the Auction house I would advise Chef Hacker to do the same before placing a bid. Not sure if I`m allowed to post the details I received but am willing to send by pm if allowed, perhaps the moderators could advise, thanks, Daz.
dxdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 01:17 AM   #9
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

looks great to me - looks like 1969 bracelet too, which would be about right. I think it looks pretty tight as well. At that price, it's a steal. Dial paint has bubbled up a bit, which is common in these. Bit of a ding on the lower edge of the case opposite the crown, but no biggie. Looks to be on good shape. Honest.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 01:32 AM   #10
drainaps
"TRF" Member

I'm just thinking that the very funny dial aspect might be water damage. If that's so, we would need pictures of the caseback to assess pitting, and you would need a watchmaker to assess if the movement and case are in good shape, or are water damaged too.

If case and movement are ok, you might want to source a set of legit replacement dial /hands straight away to have a finer watch. YMMV but let's say around 500 GBP for both dial +hands. This gets you close to GBP 2,000. It's less of a steal but still reasonable.

If you are not familiar or do not feel comfortable with hands /dial being replaced, or the fact that the watch might have been water damaged is going to torture you for the next few years, I'd pass.

Personally, I'd pass. I've never seen one of these dials take such a beating and there must be a reason beyond normal use to it.

PM should you need some hints on where to find the dial and hands. I'm not in the trade, advice would be with no strings attached. Well, now that I think of it, I'm actually on the wrong side of the trade, the one spending the money.
Old 30 November 2012, 02:07 AM   #11
Frogman4me
Banned

Dial bubbling is common on 7016 snowflakes, I would ask for clearer photos but honestly at that price I wouldn't hesitate!
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 02:16 AM   #12
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman4me View Post
dial bubbling is common on 7016 snowflakes, i would ask for clearer photos but honestly at that price i wouldn't hesitate!
x2
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 02:21 AM   #13
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Even is the dial is shot, which it isn't just normal early snowflake goosebumping as stated before, than GBP 600 for a head only 7016 would be a steal. Case is fat!
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 02:33 AM   #14
drainaps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
Dial bubbling is common on 7016 snowflakes, I would ask for clearer photos but honestly at that price I wouldn't hesitate!
Fully agree, but this looks like an extreme case of it.... I've seen bubbling in a much more moderate variety only. Anyway, without detailed dial pics it's anybody's guess..... I humbly believe it looks way too damaged to me for natural Snowie bubbling. Maybe the absence of closeups is intentional.... I'd factor a replacement period dial and hands as total cost. If that dial starts to chip off, watch goes straight to the dry dock for sure.......and it's new dial (and hands for the cosmetics).
Old 30 November 2012, 03:41 AM   #15
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

I like the dial and hands, and it's dirt-cheap. No-branier, IMO.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 04:58 AM   #16
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
i would buy that all day long for 1100 ukpounds.

likely going to be your legacy legendary great-deal-favorite-watch. act fast!
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 05:19 AM   #17
Paul
"TRF" Member

That's a truck-load of Tudor Sub for the price .....

I think someone new to collecting would be well-pleased with that watch. Has all the charm of it's Rolex counterpart and a patina that just screams 'vintage watch'.

Nice case, nice character dial and hands (the bubbling is nothing unusual) and the period bracelet is a great score. Potential for escalation of the dial bubbling is not a concern either -
it's probably looked just like that since very soon after it was manufactured ( a reaction between the paints / lacquers used as I understand it).

I'd definitely be jumping the queue to buy that 7016/0
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 06:50 AM   #18
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Plus it has the best / prettiest / sweetest Fat Font Tudor insert you are going to find.

CH - Buy it - I'm now getting jealous. If this place was capable of better pictures this would already be sold.
Old 30 November 2012, 08:05 AM   #19
dxdaz

Before some folks get carried away with this watch please allow me to copy/paste the condition report from the auction house. I'm no expert on these watches but this has put me off bidding, unless you guys can shed more light on the potential service/repair costs, thanks ,daz. ANTIQUE SALE - 05/12/12

Thank you for your enquiry. Please find further information as requested.

Lot Number: 249 There will be no VAT on sale hammer price.

Description
A Gentleman's Tudor Oyster Prince Submariner, with black dial, luminous hands and batons.
Condition Report
No case numbers and watch not running correctly - stops/starts. Well worn. Box shabby. Numbers obscured by non-original bracelet and muck. Bezel not rotating correctly.
Engraved "original oyster case by rolex geneva" to rear of case.

Kind regards
Tom Robson, Auctioneer

Estimate: £300-500 Currency: GBP - UK Pound

Boldon Auction Galleries
Tel: 0191 537 2630
Fax: 0191 536 3875
www.boldonauctions.co.uk
Old 30 November 2012, 08:51 PM   #20
RLX-lvr
"TRF" Member

That is a good score at 1000 pounds.

Rare early Swiss only dial, that isn't too bad. I think it adds nice character.
To a vintage guy, this a is a nice original unmolested watch.
The sum of the parts I value at $2800-$3000 easy, for retail.

Only one thing to note on the report is, they can't make out the serial#, but they also mention because of muck. He he.

So if you get it and the ref, and serial #'s were rubbed because of bracelet wear and you weren't happy, strip it down, throw the case away , and still have $2.8-$3.0K usd in parts.

If any of you guys get this piece and are not happy with it, I regret selling my snowflake, and would love this vintage piece.
RLX-lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 10:44 PM   #21
Frogman4me
Banned

You should still get it!
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2012, 11:58 PM   #22
Chef_hacker
"TRF" Member

Lets wait and see

Thanks dxdaz for the exposure
Old 1 December 2012, 12:05 AM   #23
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

The bracelet alone, if it is a real 20mm rolex band brings at least 400 ukpounds on ebay. so the watch is a bargain. all together its worth us$3300 considerig the band is worth a solid us$700
Old 1 December 2012, 12:16 AM   #24
dxdaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_hacker View Post
Thanks dxdaz for the exposure
Apologies mate, I meant no harm. My initial post was to warn you of its condition in case you hadn`t checked with the auction house.

My second post went through a moderator before being posted, I decided to leave the auction link so others could check its condition so as not to look like I was merely putting you off bidding so I could snap it cheap.

If a moderator can remove the link in my post I`m ok with that.

Hope this clears things up, good luck with the auction (I`m not bidding, too much of a gamble for a newbie like me), please post further pics if you win
Old 2 December 2012, 05:41 AM   #25
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

In the long run, if you want a good deal, you are better off waiting for one on eBay with good pics. If the band is a fake, the guts may be as well. Daxdz may have done you a favor. I would NOT pay 1000 pounds for a head only snowflake with no serial numbers and sparse pics. Harry
Old 6 December 2012, 06:57 AM   #26
RLX-lvr
"TRF" Member

So did anyone here buy the Tudor sub??

http://www.boldonauctions.co.uk/sear...ve=1&x=65&y=14
RLX-lvr is offline   Reply With Quote