The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Gallery (Non-Rolex)

Closed Thread

Old 19 December 2012, 12:00 PM   #31
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Yes I have been guilty of buying some 'temporary' watches instead of a grail. That explains why I have >100. A lot were bought for me by my wife, my family and friends.
One early one I have is a Roamer Mustang given to me on my 21st (1969) by my parents.
Brings back great memories of my late mum and dad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0487r.jpg (245.6 KB, 135 views)

Old 19 December 2012, 12:27 PM   #32
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I would imagine this comes up more when you are going after your first and only real nice watch. But if you already have one or more nice watches, you can just continue to wear them until you have the funds for the next one. No need really to go out and buy a pacifier watch while you're saving.

Never bought a pacifier watch to tide me over in the interim. It just seems any money spent could go into the piggy bank for the grail. But then I've never saved for a watch. I just never got the jones for one unless I had the money.
Old 19 December 2012, 01:03 PM   #33
versatile1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2 Blue Romans
If you can buy right, work your way up. I have never lost money on a Rolex, sure there have been ones I made nothing on but I have enjoyed working my way up to my Daytona, all the while wearing a Rolex on my wrist.
Old 19 December 2012, 01:04 PM   #34
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Simple answer is no. I always buy to mark an achievement. Save to get what you want!
Old 19 December 2012, 08:16 PM   #35
patrike
"TRF" Member

Watch: The sun go down.
I guess it´s hard because I don´t really consider any watch a true grail. There´s really really nice watches. But there´s always some small detail which I´m not satisfied with. Things like numeral stickers on the Patek 5146, easy scratchable bezel on the Daytona, I REALLY like AP´s 26022 and 15305, but they are total scratchmagnets from what I understod etc etc.

I guess all the pieces will fall into place when there´s a model which I will consider at least 99% perfect. :)

At the moment I think a 116233 would be the (almost) perfect watch for me. Even with Patek, AP etc in the picture. I really like the understated bling, classic lines, price, service price, durability etc. The small 36mm size might get to me though.

But the most annoying part with the 16233 is that everyone I ask about the watch says something like "get it when you turn 50". I know I should buy what I like, but I have to admit it get´s to me a little.

Novelties for next year will be very very interesting. :)
Old 19 December 2012, 08:22 PM   #36
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLawyer View Post
Get what you REALLY want! If you need a quick fix get something below $200. Good luck!
tried the Invicta, didn't work.
Old 19 December 2012, 08:29 PM   #37
vette boy 52
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c TT
I keep my grail elusive and ever changing so it is hard to obtain. Believe it or not I like it that way. I pretty much don't flip my watches and the ones that I have I miss. My children will inherit a nice collection.
Old 19 December 2012, 09:22 PM   #38
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
I did once, and regretted it quickly. Lesson learned.
Old 19 December 2012, 10:25 PM   #39
Roma315
"TRF" Member

Watch: The clock
Once you get what you think is the grail, another watch comes out. Less than 1% can go out everyday and buy any watch the desire
Old 19 December 2012, 11:15 PM   #40
metalsofwar

Watch: GMT2c
I did this many time in the past. The best example is my JLC Master Compressor Memovox. As I really wanted a JLC buzzer alarm I purchased a crappy condition manual Memovox on ebay got it restored and swapped to a decent condition automatic Memeovox. I used that for a while and sold it, add some extra cash and bought the Master Compressor Memovox. I couldn`t just sit and save for the big one I had to have a Memomvox in the mean time.
Old 19 December 2012, 11:23 PM   #41
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma315 View Post
Once you get what you think is the grail, another watch comes out. Less than 1% can go out everyday and buy any watch the desire
You know what, I think if I could go out and buy any watch I wanted at any time, it would get very boring. Maybe it's just me but if it is to easy to attain, then it is not as fun.

Old 20 December 2012, 10:31 AM   #42
desertcop204
"TRF" Member

When I first got into Rolex I didn't have a grail watch, per se. I loved the SS Sub and wanted one so I got it. Then the addiction started a few years later and after changing jobs with a higher salary I started flipping watches and going a bit crazy. It wasn't until a few years ago my grail surfaced, a DDII. Since then I've slowed down in order to save up enough to add its Everose twin to the stable in the near future. After that it's likely I'll offload a few SS watches and throw that toward something in YG and be done with watch fever for a few years......maybe.....
Old 20 December 2012, 11:07 AM   #43
ND10
Banned

Watch: SubC, Daytona
Just a thought, hunt for a good replica of your grail? This serves a few purpose.

1. It's fun as it is easier to take this 1st step towards your grail.
2. You get a trial run to see if you really like it.
3. You can still wear the replica when you get the real thing. Perhaps to somewhere you don't feel safe but still wished you 'had' it on your wrist

Only downside is that you help contribute to the seedy industry of counterfeits.

I once bought a Daytona and a Sub lookalike Toywatch to have a trial of if I would like the real thing.
Old 20 December 2012, 11:16 AM   #44
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

The replica or "tribute" watch is not a bad idea, but there are ways around actually supporting the counterfeit market. The Sub for example, has been essentially knocked-off by many mainstream watch companies. They do not falsify the Rolex labeling or anything but there is no mistaken that many name brand watches are made to resemble the Sub and the Oyster bracelet.
Old 20 December 2012, 12:12 PM   #45
c.rod
"TRF" Member

DONT buy fakes of any watch brand. period!!! ever!!
Old 20 December 2012, 12:17 PM   #46
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10 View Post
Just a thought, hunt for a good replica of your grail? This serves a few purpose.

Only downside is that you help contribute to the seedy industry of counterfeits.

I once bought a Daytona and a Sub lookalike Toywatch to have a trial of if I would like the real thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
The replica or "tribute" watch is not a bad idea, but there are ways around actually supporting the counterfeit market. The Sub for example, has been essentially knocked-off by many mainstream watch companies. They do not falsify the Rolex labeling or anything but there is no mistaken that many name brand watches are made to resemble the Sub and the Oyster bracelet.
A) we don't discuss fakes
B) it is NOT a good idea
Old 20 December 2012, 12:35 PM   #47
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
A) we don't discuss fakes
B) it is NOT a good idea
Agreed, buy a watch to get you by but don't support the people who are horrible for the hobby we all love!

Old 20 December 2012, 03:36 PM   #48
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Money is as cheap as you'll see it for a long time - maybe get your dream watch now. By the time you save up, the price rise will be more than the carrying cost of buying now.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 21 December 2012, 06:52 AM   #49
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10 View Post

1. It's fun as it is easier to take this 1st step towards your grail.
2. You get a trial run to see if you really like it.
3. You can still wear the replica when you get the real thing. Perhaps to somewhere you don't feel safe but still wished you 'had' it on your wrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post

Ban in order

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
Closed Thread