The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 10 August 2013, 10:30 PM   #31
SixPak
"TRF" Member

I had two PAM's in the past, 268 and 351 but both are gone now. I agree there are way too many similar models.

Although I really miss the 268.
SixPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2013, 10:39 PM   #32
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Well, B, maybe now you will be RUPatek

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2013, 10:44 PM   #33
nishant
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC NS Chrono GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Well, B, maybe now you will be RUPatek
Haha .. Good one ;)
nishant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 12:49 PM   #34
yyzpam
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP Rolex PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
Let's put it this way.......my boss (who knows nothing about timepieces) just bought one on a recent trip overseas. Over the years he has always been my barometer of when things "jump the shark". His decision to buy a the brand now speaks volumes to me.
Can't agree more with the OP and the post above. I got into the brand in 2001 and loved the exclusivity and community surrounding it. And while I commend Richemont on where they have taken the brand from a commercial business standpoint, I have moved on. I kept my 195 (hey my name is engraved on the back) but have sold off all the others (104, 127, 162, 199, 243, 24, 190 and others I probably dont remember).

I owe Panerai a debt of gratitude as the it was the brand that drew me in to the world of watchmaking and I have met some wonderful people on my journey. I would not hesitate to buy another in the future if I see a piece that truly speaks to me but for now my tastes have evolved and I have grown to love and appreciate other brands.
yyzpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2013, 03:22 PM   #35
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
i think the op makes some good points but there will always be a market for pams. they've done a good job catering to their brand profile and they don't even make ladies models yet ladies wear them. thats a powerful plus for any watch brand. i had a 210 and regret not having it any more. and for me, thats saying alot as i don;t get too attached to my watches unless i really like them.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2013, 03:29 PM   #36
Glenn422
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
This thread is too complicated for me....I tend to keep it simple. Do I like the watch or do I not like it?

All the worry about watch value, LE/SE, etc, isn't why I like watches, so such talk about Panerai (or any watch brand) doesn't matter at all to me.

As far as popularity goes, just because more people like a brand doesn't mean I have to stop liking it. If so, I would never wear a Rolex or PAM, or ever dream of wearing an AP or PP. I would just seek out boutique manufacturers.

This.
Glenn422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2013, 05:48 PM   #37
DreambreaX
Banned

Panerai is for the people who always look back and appreciate history. To me the design is very simple. Buying more than 3 pam is considered as fanatic to the brand because the model are very simillar.

Nowadays, panerai considered as commercial just nearly as rolex.
DreambreaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 05:49 AM   #38
advocatia
Banned

Watch: PAM 422 GMTIIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray6Chan8 View Post
The "Secondary" Panerai market has burst when the primary market is expanding. For someone who was put off by the exclusivity of the beautiful watches that were over priced in the secondary market can now get more choices of equally beautiful pieces at a much more affordable price range.

I would never have thought that I will be able to pick up a 422 or 372 3years ago because all the beautiful watches were very very limited and the price to pay for them in the secondary market is high as the sky (sadly so).

So as a relatively new Panerai user with limited funds, I welcome the change that Panerai has taken in these few years as I am able to acquire the Panerai that has everything I love without losing an arm or a leg. But having said that, I can understand why the seasoned collectors are putting their hands up in the air watching the value of their beloved Se/Le dropping drastically with every new model that is introduced.

To sum up, I think the ones new to the since will welcome the change and the older ones would be considering to leave the party (if they are still here to begin with)

I love my 422, bought it even when I knew that the resale stinks and the fact that Panerai may come up with something similar and kill it. I will still do it again as it gives me a smile everytime I put it on .

Cheers and have fun,
Ray

This exactly 10000%.
advocatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 12:14 PM   #39
PatekCollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyski View Post
Just curious. Does anybody know how many Panerai models are out there? How many of those are limited editions? Special editions?

Is it just me or are they all starting to look the same?
This is exactly what almost of Panerai thinking!!!!!.

Panerai recently shocked their collectors with the huge number of regular editions and SEs. Almost of collectors cannot even run behind their continuous released watches!!!!!!.

Re-edition of the previous SEs (Pam364, Bronzo, 1940s ....etc) sent the killing bullet to the brand!!!!.

I reserve the nice Pam399 (SE of 2012) which not yet delivered. In 2013 they recreate the same watch in regular edition (with small date window)!!!!.
I immediately cancel my order on that expensive watch (USD 28k+ where the new one is almost 8 or 9k!!!!!).

As for the Bronzo, Bonatti said that there is no more Bronzos!!!. Some collectors/Pam lovers forced to buy from the grey market at 25k+. They shocked when they saw the Bronzo2 in the SIHH 2013!!!!!.

Many other reasons dropped the brand to the basement (its about marketing, delivery, credibility)...etc.

Its just my 0.02$.

Instagram: @PatekCollector
PatekCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 02:09 PM   #40
pegaki
Banned

panerai is the best
even if they follow the rolex path of mass-market, i support it
pegaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 02:14 PM   #41
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Feels like the excitement has gone from Panerai. Too much b.s. for that price point.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 02:27 PM   #42
psv
"TRF" Member

Bubbles burst, it is the nature of a bubble. The Panerai hype/cult is pretty much gone, much like the Rolex Daytona hype of yesteryears. But that doesn't mean that you cannot thoroughly enjoy the watches, perhaps in a different and more mature way.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 02:30 PM   #43
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
Feels like the excitement has gone from Panerai. Too much b.s. for that price point.
This, Im completely out. I would only consider a 232 and possibly a bargain basement 210 as I like the radiomir case but they mean nothing to me anymore.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2013, 10:25 AM   #44
jlee5050
"TRF" Member

Watch: the throne.
I don't have one yet, but I would like to just have one.
jlee5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2013, 04:26 AM   #45
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I like a lot of Panerai models, but frankly they all seem pretty similar and for me 1 is enough. I feel the same about Rolex sports models.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2013, 04:38 AM   #46
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
This. I own and probably will ever own just one Panerai. It's a simple PAM48 Luminor Marina and is 40mm to boot. Not exactly popular with WIS and non-WIS alike. I bought the watch because I really like the design, feel, size, ability to switch up straps and it simply pleases me aesthetically. I bought it used and believe I could sell it for what I paid. However I probably will not as I really like the watch and will continue to wear and enjoy it. I do not buy watches being overly concerned about resale value anyway. So, popular or not, bubble burst or not, I will just keep wearing and enjoying my simple 40mm Panerai without concern to new models, LEs, popularity or any other factors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
This thread is too complicated for me....I tend to keep it simple. Do I like the watch or do I not like it?

All the worry about watch value, LE/SE, etc, isn't why I like watches, so such talk about Panerai (or any watch brand) doesn't matter at all to me.

As far as popularity goes, just because more people like a brand doesn't mean I have to stop liking it. If so, I would never wear a Rolex or PAM, or ever dream of wearing an AP or PP. I would just seek out boutique manufacturers.

WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2013, 07:30 PM   #47
CHRISTIN
"TRF" Member

BLUF: Just buy what you like, and wear it... that's it.
All this verbal diarrhea about $$$, too many models and collectibility... is getting old. You buy and wear the watch because you like it... or, I hope you do. However, if you want to collect Panerai's, then go back to the older models (i.e. 6152's), or pick a topic (i.e. collect Slytech's)... why... because they ARE collectable.
Regarding Officine Panerai, it's a fact of life that all successful companies are going to grow and widen in scope... that's the business model. If there is no growth, or product diversity... they won't be in business for very long. That's just the way it is today.
CHRISTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2013, 02:17 AM   #48
Aventura
"TRF" Member

When was a bubble? All invented in the forums by very skilled people to do good profit. I also fell into the trap.
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2013, 05:30 AM   #49
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presa canary View Post
To answer your original question, yes it has. I sold my few off years ago. Still great looking watches but your write up pretty much sums it up for me.
How strange that're still reading Panerai forums.
Old 1 September 2013, 05:33 AM   #50
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventura View Post
How strange that're still reading Panerai forums.
Don't have to own a band to be interested in it.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2013, 05:49 AM   #51
Aventura
"TRF" Member

A tip. It is good to read all the comments but what is not good is to believe that everything they say is true. There are things that are intentional. Be careful. I think that we have to study well when we want to clear a doubt that we have. And better face to face in a reputable seller of watches.
Another thing. When they talk about Rolex not confused the only one that preserves acceptably the value is the Submariner Date all in steel.
With this brand as with Panerai there are much bla .. bla .. out there.
Old 1 September 2013, 07:20 AM   #52
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Somone had a 45mm Ferrari edition for $2400 used that was a gmt model. I think the case was titanium as well. I was very tempted to buy it. But I'm just not sold on them. Maybe an original one with a Rolex movement, or the limited edition one they made with the original movement.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2013, 08:48 AM   #53
Incorrigible
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 & PAM 321
Gotta wear what you want! All else aside...
Incorrigible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2013, 09:10 AM   #54
StaceeJaxx
Banned

I think it has not just because of longevity, but also because they have gone in a weird direction in terms of design and cost. I like my 243 and wear it daily. But, I wouldn't invest in any fruh fruh models right now unless your not willing to lose bigger now than in the past
StaceeJaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 03:12 AM   #55
SubTTKky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I would submit that most of my watches aren't "collector" pieces for whatever reason. In fact most of them will be difficult to sell so out of necessity I only buy watches that I love.

I left hardcore Panerai collecting several years ago but have been pulled back lately by pieces I like but I won't be buying any future LE/SEs.
Agreed fully with ur words.

Rolex Sub16613,GMT IIC 116713,Daytona 116523 (Golden Champage with Diamonds),DD1803,18038,18238,DJ16233,DJ16014,Omega Speedy
SubTTKky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 03:28 AM   #56
c.rod
"TRF" Member

from a "laymans" perspective i think it has burst. a lot of the prices have come way down on the 2nd hand market. even "nib" grey ones.

check out watch recon. 372's are selling for about $2500 less on average than a year or so ago imo from what i see

i have never owned a pam, but will for sure. even if they have expanded, jumped the shark etc. in all reality they are still far from popular. im in the suburbs of detroit. i have never seen one "in the wild" EVER and im always looking.
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 03:44 AM   #57
jvo300
"TRF" Member

I'm all for the "buy what you like and wear it" attitude. However, you cannot dismiss the fact that Panerai directly appeals to the collector by labeling production run numbers and issuing so called Special Editions. You can't call something an LE/SE and then produce another almost identical version! I'm going to call it what it is -- DISHONEST. My beef is not with Panerai business growth and expansion -- that's great, but it lost its integrity somewhere along the way. That's why I no longer care about any new "special" Panerai models.
jvo300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 04:03 AM   #58
c.rod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvo300 View Post
I'm all for the "buy what you like and wear it" attitude. However, you cannot dismiss the fact that Panerai directly appeals to the collector by labeling production run numbers and issuing so called Special Editions. You can't call something an LE/SE and then produce another almost identical version! I'm going to call it what it is -- DISHONEST. My beef is not with Panerai business growth and expansion -- that's great, but it lost its integrity somewhere along the way. That's why I no longer care about any new "special" Panerai models.
oh yeah, from an outsiders perspective (me) i agree with you. i would never spend the money on one of their so called "le" models because they do just as you said.
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 04:25 AM   #59
myclue
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
you can find panerai watches at cosco now a days
myclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2013, 04:48 AM   #60
Steel28
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I sold both of my PAMs, 000 and 111. I still like the brand and might own something like 372 or the new 510 later on.
Steel28 is offline   Reply With Quote