The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 25 April 2020, 09:14 PM   #31
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
A joke. Awful. Waaay overpriced.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 09:40 PM   #32
emtee
"TRF" Member

I think they actually look pretty cool but the prices are an absolute joke! If they were half the price I would seriously consider one if i was in the market for a new watch.

Wouldn’t mind getting one of the new straps though if they sell them separately
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 10:00 PM   #33
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
A joke. Awful. Waaay overpriced.
70 year warranty adds a bit. I like that it's a bit controversial too, as after over two decades collecting it's nice getting something that stands out from the typical. Under dance club lights this baby will rock!

Plus I love the movie Tron (orig and remake).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 10:17 PM   #34
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Ok. Not for me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 11:51 PM   #35
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
Wouldn’t mind getting one of the new straps though if they sell them separately

x2 (non-lume version)

However, with the branding of “Sportech” for a rubber strap, I’m wondering how over-priced it’s going to be.....
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 12:54 AM   #36
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
I have owned an 88 and a 422.
I admired the brand for a long time.
I think they have lost their way some time ago trying to create gimmicky variety within the confines of 2 or 3 basic design styles. It appears they have run out of ideas.

The Brooklyn Bridge unfinished movement offering was a red flag. The DUE line sealed the deal for me.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 01:47 AM   #37
Cru Jones

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 03:50 AM   #38
PutneyBridge
"TRF" Member

Not for me...
PutneyBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 07:08 AM   #39
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
The pricing is getting bizarre.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 08:28 AM   #40
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Cool blue dial, and new case material.

But useless lume on bezel, crown guard, and strap are cheesy.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 08:31 AM   #41
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Who comes up with these prices?

It seems like (I'm sure actually) every brand that isn't Rolex is pushing out watches and puts an average 8.000 USD price sticker on their watch. To put it UP there with the big brands. And what happens? There are beautiful watches out there but 1. they don't sell at those prices 2. they discount (heavily). 8k for a Zenith or 8k for (another) Rolex (vintage or new) = easy decision.

Release it at 4-5k and people will buy them and the company will profit.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 10:55 AM   #42
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
100% agree about the price being 'dreamy'. Let's say $8k seems more 'fair' all-around considering the 70 year warranty IF IT INCLUDES, say, every 7 years a free servicing too. Price aside, i love the style, yet also VERY MUCH understand the position of... may i please call you 'purists to the brand'.

Pricing and purists aside, i love the lume idea.

But hey, that's just me and i do 'get it' from your points of view too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 26 April 2020, 11:14 AM   #43
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:

It seems like (I'm sure actually) every brand that isn't Rolex is pushing out watches and puts an average 8.000 USD price sticker on their watch. To put it UP there with the big brands. And what happens? There are beautiful watches out there but 1. they don't sell at those prices 2. they discount (heavily). 8k for a Zenith or 8k for (another) Rolex (vintage or new) = easy decision.

I completely agree. 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 12:22 PM   #44
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

I agree, from a personal perspective, that they’re a bit spendy. But you have to realize these are limited pieces at only 270 each. I guarantee you they’ll easily sell all 810. If the market proves that to be true, they’re not overpriced.

all_in_the_pamily

The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 12:38 PM   #45
CalSRQ1

Watch: 5513
Ugh looks like something the Blue Man Group would wear
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 01:01 PM   #46
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I'm a certified lume junkie, but I can't see the point of all that extra lume. And why not lume the date as well? Might as well go all-in. You'll certainly never lose the watch in the dark. Reminds me of the ambient lighting now used in many cars. Perhaps a 'reverse lume' dial would've been better i.e. with the lume disc on top and black numbers beneath, similar to what some other manufacturers did several years ago? Or maybe that will be their next trick. Again, fantasy pricing but I guess they'll sell somehow.

70 year warranty (perhaps ameliorates the price somewhat) - hopefully this will be transferable!?! Amusing to think of making a warranty claim on a 69 year old watch.
Old 26 April 2020, 01:14 PM   #47
dhermidar
"TRF" Member

8k for the watch and then add the price of a service lets say.. every 7 years? voila!! there you have 18k usd and your gaurantee for 70 years, paid in advance

Quote:

dhermidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 02:25 PM   #48
MrBlahBlah
"TRF" Member

Why is the titanium LE so damn expensive?
MrBlahBlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 03:26 PM   #49
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhermidar View Post
8k for the watch and then add the price of a service lets say.. every 7 years? voila!! there you have 18k usd and your gaurantee for 70 years, paid in advance

^^^^ SOOOOO THIS!!!
(Provided every seven years a factory service is included)

BTW: If i may add, due to currency devaluation of ~50% every ~15 years, the $18k right now if it includes service will be a bargain 50 years from now. Look at the price of a McDonald's meal from the 1960s to today, for example their "All-American" meal was a burger, fries, and a shake for 45 cents. Please don't get me going about penny bubble gum is now 25 cents, and a 10 cent candy bar back then is now $1.

Old 26 April 2020, 03:52 PM   #50
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlahBlah View Post
Why is the titanium LE so damn expensive?
you mean pam01117? may be because of the titanium case is claimed to be 3D printed. but not sure the benefit of it.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 04:05 PM   #51
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Ordered the 1118 carbon, am #1 on 'the list'. :)
Good to see someone excited to purchase from Panerai in pre-order in their difficult times! I hope they make a comeback but it'll be long road!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 04:28 PM   #52
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Old 26 April 2020, 05:13 PM   #53
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

That ridiculous CG Lume .

FFS Panerai just make a simple watch without the stupid bells and whistles and sell it at a reasonable price and not an LE ( which is generally BS anyway), with a normal warranty

These are ‘fad’ watches not something your going to be wearing in 20 years, never mind 70 years. Hardly a classic.

Sorry but it gets worse every year .. I don’t know how the brand is surviving...

Old 26 April 2020, 06:29 PM   #54
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK View Post

FFS Panerai just make a simple watch without the stupid bells and whistles and sell it at a reasonable price and not an LE ( which is generally BS anyway), with a normal warranty

These are ‘fad’ watches not something your going to be wearing in 20 years, never mind 70 years. Hardly a classic.

Sorry but it gets worse every year .. I don’t know how the brand is surviving...

may be they are aiming at the Chinese market, those trendy rich kids may get crazy about the lume! panerai strategy is more like fashion, their new releases cannot last more than 2 years, let alone 70! in fact I doubt panerai can last that long.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 10:41 PM   #55
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To be fair they do make these simple classic Panerai watches you speak of as well. If all they did each year was release the same simple watches the Panerai purists love everyone would complain they’re lazy and rehashing the same thing over and over.

I think it’s good they’re trying to innovate with these new materials and designs. Granted it’s not always to everyone’s taste and the prices raise an eyebrow but they do still offer something for everyone.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 10:59 PM   #56
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
These are ‘fad’ watches not something you're going to be wearing in 20 years, never mind 70 years. Hardly a classic.
i object your Honor!

If you truly knew me, you'd know i'd be rockin' it 20 years from now, and 70 years from now too (yet would have to live to be over 120). I decided to register the 1118 in my wife's daughter's name as the 1118 is the VERY FIRST watch that has made my wife's 19 y/o daughter REEEEEEALLY light up.

FYI: Have offered to get her a Rolex, Apple Watch, etc and she has no desire to wear a timepiece / wrist instrument at all. Yet the 1118 out of my entire deeeep collection and what i've offered her over the years during store visits... the 1118 makes her smile and light up. Can easily see her rockin' it after i pass away as her step-dad's timepiece :)

Am curious, may i ask your age (roughly) as have a feeling different generations of humans may be looking at the style of timepiece 'differently'. As has been said, if you want a classic Panerai that is still available and at a price point around what others feel is appropriate.

Yet if you want a Ltd Ed of a waaaay cool 'Tron-like' timepiece that is durable, can be worn as a true daily beater even if you're a SCUBA diver by trade... with the world's best warranty, the new Luminar series is AWESOME imho.

FYI: One of my friends is an EMMY-earning SCUBA / underwater videographer (Jonathan Bird).
http://www.blueworldtv.com/behind-the-scenes

Old 26 April 2020, 11:56 PM   #57
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

I certainly understand where you’re coming from ... I am old at 50 & I’m sure the young uns might like the razzmatazz...

I think what annoys me is this release could have been epic. The same pieces without the extra lume (trying waaay too hard with that) & at a reasonable price and warranty... available to the masses. No LE nonsense.. no one believes that anymore. I’m sure most people would be happy knowing they have no. 976/3500 or whatever of a particular year etc and pay $8000 less

I know there are base models still available but snap backs & WR etc has stopped me even bothering.. I’m sure their effects would be better concentrating on some of these details

Yes I’m old. An early fan of the brand. First Pam was a zero, then 112, 176, 177, 180, 005, 240 ... and others including one of the best modern watches ever made. 372. Unfortunately lugging around a 47mm watch just become impractical for me.

I still look at old models for sale & probably get one again no doubt..

Old 27 April 2020, 12:31 AM   #58
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

Another release, and Pontroue takes Panerai another step closer to this:

Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 01:41 AM   #59
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, RLX, BP
So these are Panerai models that are trying hard to look like Roger Dubuis for (relatively) poor while Roger Dubuis are busy selling their watches that are trying to look like Richard Mille for (relatively) poor, while Richard Mille's latest releases were watches that were trying to look like candy. Something is amiss in Switzerland. It may be in the water.
korneevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 02:21 AM   #60
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korneevy View Post
So these are Panerai models that are trying hard to look like Roger Dubuis for (relatively) poor while Roger Dubuis are busy selling their watches that are trying to look like Richard Mille for (relatively) poor, while Richard Mille's latest releases were watches that were trying to look like candy. Something is amiss in Switzerland. It may be in the water.
Pontroue (CEO of Panerai) used to be CEO of Roger Dubuis, there was a fear among some that he'd do to Panerai what he did to Roger Dubuis...... it seems that fear was well founded.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote