The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 28 December 2016, 03:20 AM   #1
DJExplorer
"TRF" Member

SMP 300m Diver

Hi,
Does anyone know if Omega will upgrade the 300m diver to a "Master Co-Axial" movement?
I am trying hard to get a newer 2200.80 with the 2500d mov't as I like the wave dial pattern.
Any chance of the wave coming back with a ceramic bezel and Master Co-Axial?
Or am I asking too much?
DJExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 05:05 AM   #2
flw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LN
The SMP Diver was last updated in 2012, when Omega added the ceramic bezel at the same time that they discontinued the wave dial and replaced it with a lacquered ceramic one (as far as I know). I could be wrong, but I think the 2220.80 had the 2500C caliber, at least initially.

I would expect Omega to update the Diver line to a Master Chronometer status within the next few years - they're intending to update all their co-axial models eventually - unless they decide for some reason to leave it alone, as they've done with the Moonwatch. Just a guess.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 12:14 PM   #3
DJExplorer
"TRF" Member

Sounds reasonable.
I am after one of the later produced 2220.80 that is serial 8525xxx or above. These have the 2500d movement and different font date wheel
Not sure if I should wait and see if the wave makes a comeback
DJExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2016, 12:56 PM   #4
flw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LN
I'm not sure whether the wave dial will return in anything other than a limited edition. The Rio Olympic edition that was issued earlier this year had a type of wave dial on it, but it was different from the previous ones - its pattern was intended to resemble some particular feature of Rio, if I recall correctly - pavement or some such. In any event, your best bet may be to keep looking for the 2220.80. A great watch.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2016, 01:31 PM   #5
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Only time will tell so keep looking for the 2220.80. In my opinion the master co-axial wouldn't be worth the premium they'll charge for that watch. I owned the 2220.80 but ended up selling it. For me, the Chronograph version was the way to go. That being said, none of the new releases from any brand does it for me the way that watch did. Who knows, I could some day end up with another. Good luck to you in the search, one should turn up soon.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote