The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 May 2023, 02:25 PM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I was stunned…didn’t know what to say, not exactly fake..but..

Wow… what a bizzare occurrence. So, like all WISes I am always watch-watching and today, in a shop I saw “my” 126619LB. I rarely see them in public and since we were both waiting I pointed at his watch, showed mine, and said: “You have very good taste in watches sir” in a friendly manner. He smiled, showed me his watch and with a BIG grin on his face said: “Well, not exactly.” He fully admitted and showed me it was a 126610, SS Sub, that he put a “real Rolex” Blue bezel on to “pretend” it was a WG Sub. … …

… ….. ……..

….. ….. …

I was kind of shocked… All I could respond with was: “Uh… huh.”

I don’t know what to think… it wasn’t a FAKE…. But….
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 02:27 PM   #2
rolexsubwatching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Wow… what a bizzare occurrence. So, like all WISes I am always watch-watching and today, in a shop I saw “my” 126619LB. I rarely see them in public and since we were both waiting I pointed at his watch, showed mine, and said: “You have very good taste in watches sir” in a friendly manner. He smiled, showed me his watch and with a BIG grin on his face said: “Well, not exactly.” He fully admitted and showed me it was a 126610, SS Sub, that he put a “real Rolex” Blue bezel on to “pretend” it was a WG Sub. … …

… ….. ……..

….. ….. …

I was kind of shocked… All I could respond with was: “Uh… huh.”

I don’t know what to think… it wasn’t a FAKE…. But….
I wonder if things like this devalue the real thing- but still special for folks that own the real thing and know the truth
rolexsubwatching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 02:50 PM   #3
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Is it considered bad form to mod a Rolex? In my opinion, the owner can change anything he wants to get the look he prefers. Also, he was up front about it. I see no point to your post.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 02:53 PM   #4
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Is it considered bad form to mod a Rolex? In my opinion, the owner can change anything he wants to get the look he prefers. Also, he was up front about it. I see no point to your post.

Kat

Then you could always not respond to it.

VTC
Old 13 May 2023, 09:42 PM   #5
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Quote:

VTC
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 02:53 AM   #6
sub2011
"TRF" Member

Quote:

VTC
sub2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 02:55 AM   #7
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Quote:

VTC
I wish you never wrote it...but what fun is it if i didn't.....
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2023, 04:11 AM   #8
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is it considered bad form to mod a Rolex? In my opinion, the owner can change anything he wants to get the look he prefers.

Also, he was up front about it. I see no point to your post.

Kat

I agree with you so long as the parts are genuine, not aftermarket Frankensteinish. For instance an Oysterflex on a SS model such as GMT or Daytona.

But on the other hand, I see no point to your final comment on seeing no point. That was uncalled for, and antagonistic on purpose.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 11:22 AM   #9
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:

Kat

Agree 100%. Just like changing wheels, tint, paint on a car.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 04:28 PM   #10
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Kat

Agreed. it is his watch, he can do whatever he wants.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 06:01 PM   #11
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysw View Post
Agreed. it is his watch, he can do whatever he wants.
Modding with genuine parts is fine, frankening with fake parts is not.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 02:07 AM   #12
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Modding with genuine parts is fine, frankening with fake parts is not.
I've three opinions:

1. Changing a watch component (such as a dial or bezel) to a genuine new dial or bezel that would have been offered with the watch at original purchase is perfectly fine. The only caveat is that this swap must be disclosed if later sold.

2. Modifying a watch in such a way that it's unique and does not emulate as a 1:1 copy another factory watch is also OK. The caveat here is that if non-genuine parts (such as a dial) are used, they should not be marked as if they were made by the OEM. I really happen to think Artisans de Geneve does some interesting work, but I've a bit of an issue that they mark their dials with Rolex branding and logos.

3. For me, the clear "no no" even with genuine parts is altering your watch to look like another watch. For example changing the bezel and polishing center links to make a stainless model look like the white gold model--is bad form.
Watchdoyouwant? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 03:15 PM   #13
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Not a fake Rolex but a fake cookie monster?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 03:15 PM   #14
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Don’t see anything wrong with that, his watch so his decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 03:21 PM   #15
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post

Of course you are 100% correct. I didn’t explain it very well, don’t know if I can. It is his property. Although I don’t believe in it myself, people have and will be modifying Rolex watches for years. I guess it’s just… Well, I find it different if you put a red second hand on it, or red date wheel, or replacing your black submariner bezel with a green one, then this incidence. I have never run in to a situation where someone was trying to emulate a precious metal Rolex, make it appear it’s a white gold when it’s actually a SS. I mean… i guess that is not a “Fake” but… Well, I don’t know. I find it kind of… Not… genuine.
Old 14 May 2023, 03:49 AM   #16
jtorrebl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Of course you are 100% correct. I didn’t explain it very well, don’t know if I can. It is his property. Although I don’t believe in it myself, people have and will be modifying Rolex watches for years. I guess it’s just… Well, I find it different if you put a red second hand on it, or red date wheel, or replacing your black submariner bezel with a green one, then this incidence. I have never run in to a situation where someone was trying to emulate a precious metal Rolex, make it appear it’s a white gold when it’s actually a SS. I mean… i guess that is not a “Fake” but… Well, I don’t know. I find it kind of… Not… genuine.
Maybe he’s not faking it but just likes the color blue
jtorrebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2023, 06:44 AM   #17
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Agree.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 04:01 AM   #18
FlashinLeather
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It just sounds like he modified his watch to how he liked it. Seems like anything about him saying that he was pretending for it to be PM might have been in jest. He did immediately admit that the two of you did not have the same watch. Good for him for enjoying his watch.
FlashinLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 12:26 PM   #19
Curated
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Maybe he just liked the blue bezel. Personally I wish Rolex would could come out with an all blue SS sub, I’d be first in line.
Curated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 03:22 PM   #20
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:

true, he can do whatever he wants with it, it's his property. that said, i agree with OP, it's kind of an unwritten rule that it's verboten to mod your Rolex's, as far as I'm concerned. You wouldn't catch me dead with an "incorrect" bezel insert on one of my subs, my yachtmaster, etc. it's a rolex, not a seiko turtle, for Crissakes. I mean, why is he throwing a blue insert on a stainless steel sub? to flex? feel like a big shot? dude, you already have a sub on your wrist, that's something to be happy about and proud of. i'm sure it's just because he loves the way the blue of that bezel insert just pops in the right light *rolls eyes*
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 10:02 PM   #21
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
I was stunned…didn’t know what to say, not exactly fake..but..

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar10213245 View Post
true, he can do whatever he wants with it, it's his property. that said, i agree with OP, it's kind of an unwritten rule that it's verboten to mod your Rolex's, as far as I'm concerned. You wouldn't catch me dead with an "incorrect" bezel insert on one of my subs, my yachtmaster, etc. it's a rolex, not a seiko turtle, for Crissakes. I mean, why is he throwing a blue insert on a stainless steel sub? to flex? feel like a big shot? dude, you already have a sub on your wrist, that's something to be happy about and proud of. i'm sure it's just because he loves the way the blue of that bezel insert just pops in the right light *rolls eyes*
In this example he just change a bezel insert, so something easy to convert back (and as said by others not different from swapping inserts or bracelets on a 16710). Am mod friendly, so changing MY watch into whatever I want has always been an option regardless of what others may think.

Think what troubles the OP is the fact the owner of the watch was pretending the watch to be what is was not, which is not my case when modding my watches (or probably the intention when someone, for example, “mods” an original 16710 Coke / Oyster into a 16710 LN / jubilee ). Each to its own.

Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2023, 07:29 AM   #22
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
In this example he just change a bezel insert, so something easy to convert back (and as said by others not different from swapping inserts or bracelets on a 16710). Am mod friendly, so changing MY watch into whatever I want has always been an option regardless of what others may think.

Think what troubles the OP is the fact the owner of the watch was pretending the watch to be what is was not, which is not my case when modding my watches (or probably the intention when someone, for example, “mods” an original 16710 Coke / Oyster into a 16710 LN / jubilee ). Each to its own.

fair point, i suppose that intention/motive has a lot to do with it. modding for fun and to give your watch different looks is a far cry from modding to mimick the look of a far more expensive version of the same watch
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2023, 08:43 AM   #23
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
fair point, i suppose that intention/motive has a lot to do with it. modding for fun and to give your watch different looks is a far cry from modding to mimick the look of a far more expensive version of the same watch
Omar! Thank you! Thank you for clearly stating what I have been trying to say this entire thread. Moding to get a look you desire is different than moding to try and present you own a more expensive version of the same watch. It is not that he modded his sub, it was the reason and the goal that threw me.

Omar, I keep fumbling around with words and a smart guy like you states it clearly. If I wasn’t such a Dorklehead I would have said this in the original post
Old 19 May 2023, 03:11 PM   #24
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Quote:
Because he likes the colour blue? If he could find an original Rolex bezel then good for him! Can't see a problem here...

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 03:18 PM   #25
PepsiBezel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
I’m impressed he was able to source a blue cerachrom bezel somewhere… that may be more difficult than finding a 126619!
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 03:18 PM   #26
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I don't see a problem at all.
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 01:14 AM   #27
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwillis0001 View Post
I don't see a problem at all.
I’m with you.

I see no issues at all. Used to be folks swapped bezels all the time. Bracelets. Etc.

I think it’s great.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 03:34 PM   #28
harvey
"TRF" Member

…did he categorically say to ‘pretend to be WG Sub’? well that’s kinda sad if he did.

or did he just like the colour of the bezel?
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 03:56 PM   #29
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
…did he categorically say to ‘pretend to be WG Sub’? well that’s kinda sad if he did.

or did he just like the colour of the bezel?
Good question, and yes, he stated he was pretending he had a PM Rolex.

I didn’t know what to say after that.
Old 13 May 2023, 04:17 PM   #30
Dazlewis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good question, and yes, he stated he was pretending he had a PM Rolex.

I didn’t know what to say after that.
My view is he can do what he wants with his things, and one presumes his comment about wanting to fool people into thinking he had a PM Rolex was said to amuse given he had fooled you into thinking it, but was happy to reveal it was not the case.

For me the oddest thing is how such a relatively minor occurrence has seemingly left you shell-shocked and unable to process what happened!
Dazlewis is offline   Reply With Quote