The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 November 2017, 12:55 AM   #1
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Happy thanksgiving everyone!

What are everyone's plans for the holidays? Which piece will you be wearing?

My wife and I are going to dinner at my parents house. Just a small immediate family din din... Which will be nice, compared to the larger dinners we normally have with extended family.

I was feeling festive and wanted some Thanksgiving colors,
(orange and yellow), so I pulled the 1655 out. It doesn't get much wrist time but that will change.. Just so hooked on my sub's...

Paired on a elephant bund with orange stitching to set it off a little.

SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 01:34 PM   #2
05carbondrz
Banned

Not a Fan of Bund Straps but the 1655 was next on my List before the prices went insane.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 02:23 AM   #3
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Not a Fan of Bund Straps but the 1655 was next on my List before the prices went insane.
Just curious, when you say prices went “insane” for 1655’s. At what point did you notice a dramatic jump in price?

I noticed recently shear has a 1655 for sale at 22k usd. It’s a 4 mil serial I think..

I was surprised myself so for sure I think that’s insane as well if this is where you have seen prices at as of late.

So much talk about the bubble of vintage market.

I think we just need to look at it more simply that there will never be a crash, Rolex is too strong for that.. Sports models are still popular and being produced today which will keep vintage sports models relevant... So with that being said, I don’t think there is a bubble to burst.

I personally feel eventually there will be some sort of a price correction as far as the crazy prices are concerned. But these pieces will have a new “normal” price which will still be considerably higher than what these watches used to be.

It makes me sad to say this but I feel the days of buying a nice red 1680 at 10k are long gone. To think I used to pay 12k for nice gilt 5508’s.. makes me want to pull my hair out honestly. Wish I kept em.
Old 25 November 2017, 03:21 AM   #4
05carbondrz
Banned

I did most of my buying 2-3 Years ago,If I remember right a NICE 1655 was approximately 15K,Now You will be lucky to get an over polished bottom of the barrel example for that.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 04:21 AM   #5
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
I did most of my buying 2-3 Years ago,If I remember right a NICE 1655 was approximately 15K,Now You will be lucky to get an over polished bottom of the barrel example for that.
15k 3 years ago sounds about right, for a straight hand.

3 years ago, prices were getting higher, but I don't think anyone saw this coming.. Which is why there is so much bubble talk.

I have said it so many times, but it makes this hobby so hard to have these days..

If only I saw this coming and kept half the pieces I had 10 years ago, I would be in amazing shape today.
Old 25 November 2017, 06:41 AM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
15k 3 years ago sounds about right, for a straight hand.

3 years ago, prices were getting higher, but I don't think anyone saw this coming.. Which is why there is so much bubble talk.

I have said it so many times, but it makes this hobby so hard to have these days..

If only I saw this coming and kept half the pieces I had 10 years ago, I would be in amazing shape today.
Today can be tomorrow and now is a great time to take stock on some models that are clearly within most everyone's budget with the escalation of prices in the vintage market. Although not vintage they are definitely classics and are appreciating rather well. Three models that come to mind are the GMT/GMT II 16700 and 16710 sets as well as the 16610LV (sets or documented watches). GMT II sets have gone up 100% and more from 10 years ago!!! Another one that I see doing well are the Submariner 5513 glossy dial sets - another rare bird to find in superior condition let alone as a set. On the higher end of the classics, Zenith Daytonas are another model to consider with the recent escalation in prices for these models.

Buy right - the nicer the better!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 10:54 AM   #7
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Today can be tomorrow and now is a great time to take stock on some models that are clearly within most everyone's budget with the escalation of prices in the vintage market. Although not vintage they are definitely classics and are appreciating rather well. Three models that come to mind are the GMT/GMT II 16700 and 16710 sets as well as the 16610LV (sets or documented watches). GMT II sets have gone up 100% and more from 10 years ago!!! Another one that I see doing well are the Submariner 5513 glossy dial sets - another rare bird to find in superior condition let alone as a set. On the higher end of the classics, Zenith Daytonas are another model to consider with the recent escalation in prices for these models.

Buy right - the nicer the better!
John, I could actually kick myself because I have owned 4 LV’s all flat 4’s since they came out.. One of them a Y serial and the rest F. Ken actually ended up with my last LV which was mint full set.. I flipped it for 6 and over night the price on them literally doubled. I wish I had at least one in the collection but refuse to pay the current asking based on principle.

Seems that I never keep or sell for that matter at the right time. But I agree with above said, there is always room for the more modern models to become collectible classics.