The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 August 2018, 02:49 AM   #1
EC7
"TRF" Member

Career advice please (for me too)

It is safe to say that many of the people here in TRF are experienced and accomplished in their chosen field of profession. I trust that I, too, like many others, can solicit some good advice from y’all.

I’ll start with a bit of history. Been working for the same company for over a decade now. Company’s private, employs about 400. Started at entry level position, got promoted several times, and now a ‘higher up’ in charge of my own department

I like what I do, job is not boring, I’m pretty good at it, love my office crowd, have a good work life balance, and most importantly pay is pretty good (not exceptional but good enough that I don’t complain).

What’s even more special about my job is the autonomy that comes with it. I handle the company’s business unit that many employees, including higher ups, do not understand or dare get involved in. It’s so under the radar that some people in the don’t even know my staff and I exist. I’ve seen myself benefit from this in many ways, and most notably is I have transformed into a ‘utility player’.

Now here’s what’s been on my mind lately. Recently I’ve been fancying the idea of taking on a different set of challenge and responsibility at a larger scale. The main motivation isn’t really about getting higher compensation, but it’s more geared towards personal achievement. Don’t get me wrong, I still want to earn more. The catch is I’m somewhat convinced this cannot be achieved at my current employer because I feel that have already reached the ceiling, therefore I think moving to a different industry would be the solution. I’m in my mid-thirties so understandably there is a burning desire in me and a voice telling me to strike while the iron is hot.

What would you advice?
1. Stay put. Wait for an opportunity to open up in your current employment.
2. Go venture into something different but keep in mind the risks associated with it.

I would love to hear from you, and thanks in advance.

By the way I read 77T’s advice on the other thread. What stood out to me was his chosen path of building leadership skills and marketing skills. I need to work on my marketing skills.

This ain’t a Rolex thread without a Rolex related plug. So after years of hanging out in the forum, I finally convinced myself that I have accumulated enough justification to pick one up. So which type of Rolex befit a under the radar corporate climbing utility man? 214270!
EC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 03:01 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
if you have reached your ceiling and feel you can grow more i would consider leaving.

at age 35 unless you are a professional athlete or mark zuckerberg you haven't peaked yet.

as my dad has always said, the only risk in life is not taking any risks. however, being responsible as I am sure you are, certain risks should probably be avoided. this is not one of them.

remember marketing comes down to you selling you. if you do good work people will come to you. if they like your personality and you do good work they will keep coming to you.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 03:52 AM   #3
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Depends on your current finances and long-term plans. There's something to be said for a comfortable position where you make enough money for your needs. (Plus enough extra to set aside to help build wealth.) You're not challenged as much as you would like? So what? Pick a new hobby. Keep the easy money and job you know inside and out. The grass isn't usually greener on the other side. But if you're in tons of debt and want to take a flyer on a new position for more money, you basically have nothing to lose so why not give it a shot?
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 04:09 AM   #4
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
After reading paragraphs 2 & 3, seems hard to encourage anyone to leave.
Sounds like you have yourself in an extremely positive situation.

That said, if the spirit's truly moving you, it's wrong to argue with your little voice.
Just be sure it's your voice and not the song of a siren.
Old 17 August 2018, 04:21 AM   #5
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I’m all for change and ambition, but sometimes opportunities can exist that you can’t even see. So Is it worth talking to your employer first? Is there any other role in the company that can see you progress. You’ve a proven track record where you are and they may create more opportunity from within.

Exhaust that route first, then look elsewhere. As my dad has said to me for the last 30 years ‘the grass isn’t always greener’.

Good luck :-)
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 05:31 AM   #6
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Your situation is a bit unique though in that it sounds like you actually have a very good gig.

Has your boss said anything about any sort of promotion opportunities at your current job? Any dinosaurs retiring soon that will lead to a growth opp? If you really think that you’ve hit your ceiling, I agree that it may be a good idea to start looking around, but take your time and make sure that you find a job that you know will satisfy you.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 05:41 AM   #7
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Stay put.
Old 17 August 2018, 06:10 AM   #8
Redtele58
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Daytona
If you have been given this flexibility:
"What’s even more special about my job is the autonomy that comes with it'

you have this work environment:
"I like what I do, job is not boring, I’m pretty good at it, love my office crowd, have a good work life balance, and most importantly pay is pretty good"

this skill set:
"I have transformed into a ‘utility player’"

and this goal:
"the idea of taking on a different set of challenge and responsibility at a larger scale"

You're not even close to this:
"I feel that have already reached the ceiling"

Talk with senior leadership in your company. Tell them your goals. Explain how reaching for your goals will benefit the company. Ask them for increased opportunities. Work outside your comfort zone. Transfer over to the crappiest organization they have in the company and turn it around. Ask for greater responsibilities, an increase in the width of your knowledge of company operations, etc.

I'd hesitate to leave a job with a work environment like you have and the possibility to tap further into the senior structure of management/leadership. You won't know until you ask and present your case of the opportunities that wait.
Redtele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 06:14 AM   #9
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC7 View Post
It is safe to say that many of the people here in TRF are experienced and accomplished in their chosen field of profession. I trust that I, too, like many others, can solicit some good advice from y’all.

I’ll start with a bit of history. Been working for the same company for over a decade now. Company’s private, employs about 400. Started at entry level position, got promoted several times, and now a ‘higher up’ in charge of my own department

I like what I do, job is not boring, I’m pretty good at it, love my office crowd, have a good work life balance, and most importantly pay is pretty good (not exceptional but good enough that I don’t complain).

What’s even more special about my job is the autonomy that comes with it. I handle the company’s business unit that many employees, including higher ups, do not understand or dare get involved in. It’s so under the radar that some people in the don’t even know my staff and I exist. I’ve seen myself benefit from this in many ways, and most notably is I have transformed into a ‘utility player’.

Now here’s what’s been on my mind lately. Recently I’ve been fancying the idea of taking on a different set of challenge and responsibility at a larger scale. The main motivation isn’t really about getting higher compensation, but it’s more geared towards personal achievement. Don’t get me wrong, I still want to earn more. The catch is I’m somewhat convinced this cannot be achieved at my current employer because I feel that have already reached the ceiling, therefore I think moving to a different industry would be the solution. I’m in my mid-thirties so understandably there is a burning desire in me and a voice telling me to strike while the iron is hot.

What would you advice?
1. Stay put. Wait for an opportunity to open up in your current employment.
2. Go venture into something different but keep in mind the risks associated with it.

I would love to hear from you, and thanks in advance.

By the way I read 77T’s advice on the other thread. What stood out to me was his chosen path of building leadership skills and marketing skills. I need to work on my marketing skills.

This ain’t a Rolex thread without a Rolex related plug. So after years of hanging out in the forum, I finally convinced myself that I have accumulated enough justification to pick one up. So which type of Rolex befit a under the radar corporate climbing utility man? 214270!
hmmm

So I'm not gonna pretend to be able to give you the best advice, but if you don't mind me asking, are you married, children, if so how many and how old are they?

I think the answer might help people give you the best advice on how to move forward.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 06:17 AM   #10
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtele58 View Post

"I like what I do, job is not boring, I’m pretty good at it, love my office crowd, have a good work life balance, and most importantly pay is pretty good"

this skill set:

and this goal:

"the idea of taking on a different set of challenge and responsibility at a larger scale"

Talk with senior leadership in your company. Tell them your goals. Explain how reaching for your goals will benefit the company. Ask them for increased opportunities. Work outside your comfort zone. Transfer over to the crappiest organization they have in the company and turn it around. Ask for greater responsibilities, an increase in the width of your knowledge of company operations, etc.

I'd hesitate to leave a job with a work environment like you have and the possibility to tap further into the senior structure of management/leadership. You won't know until you ask and present your case of the opportunities that wait.

Excellent advice. Create the opportunities for yourself from within. Plenty of room for personal growth and career. The best job roles are those which allow for self shaping, and sounds like you have a huge amount of latitude to do that.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 06:21 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Family considerations very important here as chadri mentions but I’d be inclined to know when I have it good. Particularly when finances aren’t an issue for you currently.
Old 17 August 2018, 06:51 AM   #12
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
For me, option 2.

Why? Because I was once a firm believer in option 1, until I learned a hard lesson that waiting for an opportunity to come along can lead to complacency, and complacency can become a crutch. And that is not a good thing. You’ll always want to keep an “edge” about you.

Keep your mind and eyes open to new roles. Conversations about potential opportunities cost nothing, and can lead to great reward. In some respects, it’s a risk to remain where you are. Don’t be afraid to make a career change. Sure, there is a risk involved, but that can be said if mostly anything nowadays. And, the ability to change industries - and succeed, makes you that much more desirable to potential employers.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 07:16 AM   #13
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Both options are good options, people see themselves and their stories on both sides of the ledger and that fuels most of what people advise in these situations. Keep in mind however that for every "a shark has to move forward or it dies" comparison there is an equally true "the grass is always greener, careful what you wish for" counterpoint. Talk to your friends and family, trusted co-workers who will keep your exploration discussions confidential. And then use the cliched pro/con list to help. Only you know what you want, what's important and what risks are acceptable.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 07:32 AM   #14
EC7
"TRF" Member

Thank y'all for the good advice. Having an outside perspective helps me understand my situation better, and more effectively evaluate the potential risks.

I forgot to mention one crucial advantage I have in my current employment is that I have access to the president and senior management, they respect me and they take me seriously. Of course I never abuse that privilege and I always maintain mutual respect.

Asking for increased opportunities to increase my involvement sounds like a good plan. I have nothing to lose with this strategy. This just might work out for me as there are quite a few that are getting close to retirement.

In case y'all are wondering, the next level for me in my current job is VP.

I'm ambitious but I also want to keep it in check, not drive me crazy and lead me to making wrong decisions.

=====

Interesting you mentioned about getting a hobby. My wife and I, together with a few other partners are running a business. We have own means of production, employees, expenses, taxes, customers, pretty much that everything that comes with a business. Its making pretty good money but that won't replace, at least for now, the income I get from my employment. I consider it a hobby to a certain degree, since I get to do stuff that the COO of my present employer does.

=====

I'm married, and have no children, yet. My wife works too. At present I can say that we are in a position to choose to live way below our means, but still maintaining a happy/comfortable lifestyle.
Old 17 August 2018, 07:45 AM   #15
1911dude
Banned

Watch: Omega PO
The grass is hardly ever greener, it sounds like you are in a good sweet spot. Maybe talk to your bosses boss (with your bosses knowledge) and just state that you love it there, have no plans to leave but want to be considered for more when the opportunity presents itself.

You'd be surprised how far that may go.
1911dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 08:02 AM   #16
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
My advice is don’t ask for career advice on an online forum
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 09:16 AM   #17
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
There are arguments for both sides. Something I learned along the way in the management course was called the X factor.

When you first come into a job, you’re solving problems and thus your perceived value is very high and adversely your perceived cost is low.

As you continue to solve problems and make things efficient your perceived value/cost starts to even out. What you do is expected and is no longer considered exceptional.

When your perceived value crosses the X, your perceived cost exceeds your perceived value and then you are vulnerable. This is how long standing employees get replaced with somebody younger and less expensive. I wish this were not the case. In corporations in the past you could guarantee that you could have a career lifetime but that is just not reality anymore.

This worsens as time goes on and the objectives of the owners change. As Charles DeGaulle said people have friends and countries have mutually aligned interests. The same can be said of corporations. Their interests may not be yours.

Do your job extremely well with loyalty to the objective of the business but always be considering other options. Don’t wait till they make the decisions for you. It is an unfortunate rule of business that if you are not serving the needs of the company they will cut you loose in a heartbeat and not even think about it. You walk into your office one day and security and human resources will be sitting there. This is especially true when leadership changes.

As a little bit of background, I went from an entry-level employee to a senior vice President of operations by age 38. I left for a lateral move but with a much bigger more prestigious company. I knew however there was nowhere for me to go. I eventually left on my own terms and opened my own shop. I am chief cook and bottle washer but I can’t be fired.

My humble two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 09:20 AM   #18
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
hmmm

So I'm not gonna pretend to be able to give you the best advice, but if you don't mind me asking, are you married, children, if so how many and how old are they?

I think the answer might help people give you the best advice on how to move forward.
As always, a wise perspective.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 09:20 AM   #19
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by City74 View Post
Why not?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 10:20 AM   #20
EC7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
There are arguments for both sides. Something I learned along the way in the management course was called the X factor.

When you first come into a job, you’re solving problems and thus your perceived value is very high and adversely your perceived cost is low.

As you continue to solve problems and make things efficient your perceived value/cost starts to even out. What you do is expected and is no longer considered exceptional.

When your perceived value crosses the X, your perceived cost exceeds your perceived value and then you are vulnerable. This is how long standing employees get replaced with somebody younger and less expensive. I wish this were not the case. In corporations in the past you could guarantee that you could have a career lifetime but that is just not reality anymore.

This worsens as time goes on and the objectives of the owners change. As Charles DeGaulle said people have friends and countries have mutually aligned interests. The same can be said of corporations. Their interests may not be yours.

Do your job extremely well with loyalty to the objective of the business but always be considering other options. Don’t wait till they make the decisions for you. It is an unfortunate rule of business that if you are not serving the needs of the company they will cut you loose in a heartbeat and not even think about it. You walk into your office one day and security and human resources will be sitting there. This is especially true when leadership changes.

As a little bit of background, I went from an entry-level employee to a senior vice President of operations by age 38. I left for a lateral move but with a much bigger more prestigious company. I knew however there was nowhere for me to go. I eventually left on my own terms and opened my own shop. I am chief cook and bottle washer but I can’t be fired.

My humble two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m glad you told me this.

And thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 17 August 2018, 10:22 AM   #21
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Not sure I get that. Even though most of us are basically strangers, seems there's no shortage of good will in most of the answers. Besides, the OP isn't bound to take any of the advice. Probably just looking to see a few of the things he's already been thinking about, kicked around in print from the perspective of others.
Old 17 August 2018, 10:39 AM   #22
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtele58 View Post

this skill set:

and this goal:

This is sound advice. The company values you. They wouldn't want to lose you and I'm sure will hear you out. Just don't come across as if you threatening to leave or issuing an ultimatum.

Good luck.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 06:53 PM   #23
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Why not?

Because are these internet people going to pay his mortgage if he fails? There are a lot better ways to get career advice then to ask on a forum.
Old 17 August 2018, 06:54 PM   #24
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Not sure I get that. Even though most of us are basically strangers, seems there's no shortage of good will in most of the answers. Besides, the OP isn't bound to take any of the advice. Probably just looking to see a few of the things he's already been thinking about, kicked around in print from the perspective of others.

I guess people seeking medical advice should ask strangers also......
Old 17 August 2018, 08:08 PM   #25
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Because are these internet people going to pay his mortgage if he fails? There are a lot better ways to get career advice then to ask on a forum.
And will the other “ways” you suggest for soliciting career advice cover mortgage payments? I don’t think so.

Sometimes, the anonymity a forum provides makes it easier to discuss a topic of this nature.

For what it’s worth, I also solicited advice - or perspective - from this forum. Whether it concerned a pending car purchase, travel recommendations or any other matter found no shortage of knowledgeable members willing to take a few moments and lend their experience.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 09:05 PM   #26
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Based on the information provided I believe that you maybe bored or at least very comfortable and unchallenged. Nothing wrong with that, as I have seen many people chasing stimulus but see it for what it is worth. There is nothing wrong with exploring other options to try and see what is out there. It is not just money but the way you described how your position works that make it sound good. Every job has its ups and downs and the older I got the more I appreciated the stability of certain positions and while I was not challenged much, that was fine because I had gotten to the point where it was not about challenges but about not having a lot of B.S. and stress. Take some time and figure out what is important to you. Explore your options both inside and outside the company and be true with yourself about what you want and your motivation. You will have the answer and go forward.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 09:12 PM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I guess people seeking medical advice should ask strangers also......
Damn ... and I’ve been asking these “strangers” for watch advice
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 09:15 PM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
OP, I think Chad brings up a good point ... your stage in life is probably the most relevant consideration.

Good luck, sounds like you’ve got a good head on your shoulders
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 09:29 PM   #29
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Damn ... and I’ve been asking these “strangers” for watch advice

Asking for advice on a purchase is one thing but asking advice about your livelihood and career to me is totally different. Hey, you all do what ya want. I’m just voicing an opinion like everyone else
Old 17 August 2018, 09:35 PM   #30
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
You have to ask
1) what are your goals
2) what drives you towards those goals.
3) are you already there? If you are, were those goals too easy. maybe bigger goals?
4) do you have people that depend on you/stability
5) if you fail, can you get back up? Financially and mentally.

Failure is success in progress.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote