The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 December 2012, 07:58 PM   #1
333president
"TRF" Member

Polishing Bad?

Hey Guys,
Is polishing my watches every month or two bad?

Over time, does it wear down the metal? How many times can this be done before its an issue, if that's even possible.

I use a Dremmel with the real soft, felt like tip along with some metal polish, on any of the non brushed parts of the watch. It makes the watches look brand new. It takes away all the scratches on the PCL's that make the watches look old/worn.

Thanks guys.
333president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 08:09 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333president View Post
Hey Guys,
Is polishing my watches every month or two bad?

Over time, does it wear down the metal? How many times can this be done before its an issue, if that's even possible.

I use a Dremmel with the real soft, felt like tip along with some metal polish, on any of the non brushed parts of the watch. It makes the watches look brand new. It takes away all the scratches on the PCL's that make the watches look old/worn.

Thanks guys.
The only time any Rolex oyster watch needs any sort of polishing is at normal routine service every 5-8 years by the RSC.Scratches are just a fact of wearing but if you want to get a watch polished for very scratch this is what in most cases ruined the watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Puffy
"TRF" Member

in my eyes that is vandalism
Old 20 December 2012, 08:52 PM   #4
333president
"TRF" Member

Below
Old 20 December 2012, 09:05 PM   #5
333president
"TRF" Member

Can you guys elaborate on why its a problem? Does it wear down the metal? I guess I don't understand what the issue is.

I've heard of other guys on here talking about using a Dremmel with the soft tip, to polish their watches, so I bought one.

Even my AD said I could bring them in monthly to have them polished for free. But I figured I'd just do it. I am careful and the tip is like felt.

I just don't want them to look junky. The PCL's get so scuffed after a few months.
Old 20 December 2012, 09:06 PM   #6
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Wear your watches and enjoy them--scratches are a part of life and give watch character!
So for me--yes not just bad but a bit overboard. I don't ever polish my watches as I like the metal that comes with the case.
I have seen so many watches ruined by polishing it is awful. Just my humble opinion and most would agree with me.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
I'm thinking that if your polishing is getting rid of the scratches, then surely you are taking some metal off the case?
Old 20 December 2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Mephist
"TRF" Member

To remove the scratches you got to polish down the metal to the deepest point of the scratch. So yeah it wear down the metal because you are polishing off the metal to match the dept of the scratch.

Old 20 December 2012, 09:45 PM   #9
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Takes off a little bit of metal each time, I believe Rolex (read on TRF) says to only have your watch polished 7 or so times
Old 20 December 2012, 10:23 PM   #10
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Quote:
Can you guys elaborate on why its a problem? Does it wear down the metal? I guess I don't understand what the issue is.

I've heard of other guys on here talking about using a Dremmel with the soft tip, to polish their watches, so I bought one.

Even my AD said I could bring them in monthly to have them polished for free. But I figured I'd just do it. I am careful and the tip is like felt.

I just don't want them to look junky. The PCL's get so scuffed after a few months.
Monthly polishing at ad? Ugh. Think your ad wants you back in the store to temp you to buy something else. Seriously set it and forget it in terms of that. Doesn't need that kind of babying.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

polishing that often is not healthy for you or the watch
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 11:11 PM   #12
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

polish = removes metal, it'll like soft and lumpy after a while

such a shame. leave it as it is even if it has a few marks
Old 20 December 2012, 11:20 PM   #13
hijo de la luna

I was giving a tip on the Cape Code polishing cloths and they work wonderfully. I haven't had any issues with polishing. Particularly with my LB, it works really well but I don't do it too often.
hijo de la luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 11:23 PM   #14
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Stop this right now! As said above polishing with some kind compound will remove metal. That's what it's designed to do. Add the dremel to the process and you become more efficient at removing even more metal. No way to control this process. The nice soft brush becomes saturated with compound and starts acting like a grinding wheel. Won't take long before you start changing the shape of your lugs, creating small valleys on the case and pcl's etc. If this is your goal then keep going. If not then stop and smell the roses.
Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 11:27 PM   #15
gpfps
Banned

Watch: 18078
I have a good size dent on my DD right on the corner where the two sides of the case meet. I could have it polished out, but I never will, because like others said ,too much metal ie gold will be ground down to the deepest part of the dent. to make it gone. Dents and the like are going to happen just take it and enjoy wearing the watch.
gpfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 11:41 PM   #16
VADanno
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Turn-O-Graph
I remember walking in to an AD to look at what was in the cases. I laid my Rolex on the case, and he commented about the scratches. "I like to see a Rolex that is being used, not sitting in a safe", he said. "Want me to polish it?" My response? No, thank you. You will polish away five years of patina.
VADanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 11:41 PM   #17
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Could you keep us updated how much your Rolex shrinks each year . . .

Check out some post here on TRF about polishing . . . . to check the end result.

You will be taking some metal of each time . . . and one day she will be over polished . . . result . . . value . . . . . $ 0.00

Just my .02

HAGOne

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 11:48 PM   #18
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hijo de la luna View Post
I was giving a tip on the Cape Code polishing cloths and they work wonderfully. I haven't had any issues with polishing. Particularly with my LB, it works really well but I don't do it too often.
Take a look at the cloth when you are done with polishing and you'll see it becomes grey ... what do you think that is?
Old 21 December 2012, 12:20 AM   #19
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Your watch will eventually be no more. Don't polish it every two months. Every 7 years sounds smart. If even that.
Old 21 December 2012, 12:47 AM   #20
Roller07
"TRF" Member

Watch: HulkPepsiCoke
Hulk no like polishing.
Roller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 01:02 AM   #21
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Even a skilled watchmaker would create some unevenness along the bracelet links using a tiny wheel like the Dremel. The same holds true for the polished sides of watchcases. This leads to a poor finish.

As others have said, your watch will get swirls, scuffs, scratches, etc. - and you prolly look more closely and critically at the watch than anyone else - so even the slightest marks are magnified in your consciousness. I agree with the advice that polishing is best left to the pro's during a 5-7 year service.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 01:28 AM   #22
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
Clumsy polishing can really affect the look of your watchcase and bezel, and it does it by removing metal-- particularly at edges where the polishing tool can dramatically increase the pressure. You can also screw up the brushed surfaces by shining them up.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 01:49 AM   #23
Frogman4me
Banned

Polish? Never! Polishing takes material off the case, something you can never get back.
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 02:02 AM   #24
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
You are taking a little of the watch away every time you do this. I think it is a little of an overkill to do it that often on a modern watch. When it comes to vintage, I personally think it is a sin to polish them at all.

financeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 02:09 AM   #25
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Have to say I think the majority of the above comments are unreasonable. If you want to carefully polish your watch, its yours so do as you please - if others want to leave theirs with scratches integral that's their prerogative. That said I do agree to be careful using a Dremel as it will wear off the surface rapidly. I myself polish the relevant bits on my DSSD as required, because I both enjoy doing it and prefer to remove scratches. However I only use a Cape Cod cloth which removes only the finest surface scratches, not deeper ones. You'd have to do a lot of rubbing to physically change the shape of the watch using on of those, assuming its a steel cased watch, that is.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 02:54 AM   #26
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Have to say I think the majority of the above comments are unreasonable. If you want to carefully polish your watch, its yours so do as you please - if others want to leave theirs with scratches integral that's their prerogative. That said I do agree to be careful using a Dremel as it will wear off the surface rapidly. I myself polish the relevant bits on my DSSD as required, because I both enjoy doing it and prefer to remove scratches. However I only use a Cape Cod cloth which removes only the finest surface scratches, not deeper ones. You'd have to do a lot of rubbing to physically change the shape of the watch using on of those, assuming its a steel cased watch, that is.
How is it being unreasonable stating a fact. The fact is that the reason why scratches come off when you polish a watch is because a little bit of metal comes off the watch. That is a fact. If you do this every month over a period of years, the watch will loose its shape.
This is why a lot of vintage watches have lugs that are very skinny. It happened from being over polished. Research the forum and look at the comments on vintage subs and them being over polished. Nothing unreasonable stating a fact about metal coming off when it is rubbed by an abrasive.

financeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 03:00 AM   #27
topjimmi
"TRF" Member

Please stop doing this...
topjimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 03:14 AM   #28
scarab007
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeman View Post
How is it being unreasonable stating a fact. The fact is that the reason why scratches come off when you polish a watch is because a little bit of metal comes off the watch. That is a fact. If you do this every month over a period of years, the watch will loose its shape.
This is why a lot of vintage watches have lugs that are very skinny. It happened from being over polished. Research the forum and look at the comments on vintage subs and them being over polished. Nothing unreasonable stating a fact about metal coming off when it is rubbed by an abrasive.
X1..Exactly, not unreasonable to give facts. Also, the OP asked and the forum answered, which he wanted an answer too.
scarab007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 03:34 AM   #29
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Polishing contributes to global warming and hurts baby polar bears.

Do you want to be the one to tell your children that you hurt baby polar bears?

Just saying.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 04:02 AM   #30
Kobin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Every time you polish the watch, a kitten dies.

No, seriously, scratches happen. Your watch is an object of beauty that you should admire. You can do that at home looking at it sitting in a pretty box or you can do that wearing it and looking at you wrist at least once an hour. At LEAST! You choose. I prefer the latter. And that means scratches.

Polishing the hell out of it is no good.
Kobin is offline   Reply With Quote