The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 May 2016, 10:44 PM   #1
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Mega Auction Antics - How It Affects All Collectors

https://watchpatina.com/2016/05/15/t...uction-antics/

Hey Guys:

This thread over on WatchPatina.com is very timely and very worthy of a discussion on this site as well.

Please keep it civil.....but entertaining!

Old 17 May 2016, 02:33 AM   #2
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

One thing I do know is that Rolex has recently announced it's new stainless steel Daytona and Tag Heuer it's so called "Rindt" Heuer Autavia re-release so it suits these brands very well to see all the hype surrounding the vintage models and the market going totally berserk over them. In an era that may again see the Swiss watch houses face financial crisis in the face of the smart phone/smart watch threat the generation of excitement over vintage will have a potential flow on benefit for their sales of new.

A cynic may view that things are now moving in rather insidious circles and the hype machine keeps generating motion somewhat like that Oyster Perpetual on your wrist. Perhaps another drooling blog advertorial, or for Steve McQueen fans, "like the circles that you find, in the windmills of your mind"
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2016, 11:45 PM   #3
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
Very fluid and timely discussion. I'm firmly in the old codger category now. Happy new blood is in the hunt and bummed that I haven't the millions needed to re purchase what was owned previously. That's life, you can't keep them all (usually) but it's great the hobby has life. M
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2016, 01:10 AM   #4
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchcrank View Post
... you can't keep them all (usually) but it's great {that} the hobby has life. M

Michael:

Agree with you 100%

I understand that the REALLY rich are always on the hunt for new "asset classes" to invest their wealth, but the system makes it really hard for "regular" collectors to stay in the game...

It won't be long before simple 5513 Subs will all be over $10K; newcomers will be hard pressed to even get into the game...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex Submariner 5513 1.0.jpg (78.0 KB, 147 views)
Old 18 May 2016, 12:42 PM   #5
dexvd
"TRF" Member

It seems to be a very focused niche market where only certain watches are valued and highly valued, for some super rare difference or provenance, whereas the average watch in average condition doesn't seem to be sky rocketing in value, these almost 'unique' pieces seem to have no ceiling for what people will pay for them at each opportunity. I notice when reading some of the auction reports they talk about a lot of the watches selling for big bucks the last time they were auctioned, I get the sense its a lot of movement of the same safe queen watches at these auctions where the same watch is auctioned off every 4 or 5 years.
dexvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2016, 01:16 PM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBaker3 View Post
Michael:

Agree with you 100%

I understand that the REALLY rich are always on the hunt for new "asset classes" to invest their wealth, but the system makes it really hard for "regular" collectors to stay in the game...

It won't be long before simple 5513 Subs will all be over $10K; newcomers will be hard pressed to even get into the game...

Very true John, but when that occurs, the newbies to collecting will be searching for the elusive, unpolished 16610 Submariners.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote