The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 January 2017, 08:38 AM   #1
Catholic Damage
"TRF" Member

First time Rolex owner

So, I finally purchased my first Rolex. Ordered a vintage 1601 "Pie Pan" date just, white gold/stainless.
The jeweler that i ordered it from said when the did the final quality check, it wasnt within COSC standards, so they performed a minor maintenance on it. Should be here tomorrow or Friday. Im stoked!
Being a first time Rolex owner, I was hoping for some insight on this particular watch. From my limited knowledge, the movement in the 1601 Pie pan is a different movement from other Date Just's.
Just looking for advice on best way to set it, how often should I do major and minor services, is a watch winder worth it(I own almost 20 watches and rotate. This will be my Friday watch, and special event watch, so it wont be worn daily), and any other advice that can be offered to a first time Rolex Owner.
Thank you all in advance, here's to the first of many more!
Catholic Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 05:17 PM   #2
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

1601 is not quickset. A watch winder would be helpful to keep the date in sync. It won't keep time on a winder most likely.

All 1601's are pie pan.

Late datejusts have flat dials and are quickset 3035 or 3135.

The classic DJ. Hard to go wrong.

5-6 year service interval.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 12:06 PM   #3
Catholic Damage
"TRF" Member

At the sake of sounding like an idiot, what is he difference between a pie pan and regular dial?
And if this is one I'm only wearing every four to five days, is a winder even worth it? I don't mind adjusting the time and date forward. More worries about the mechanics of the watch that my own convenience.
It arrived, and I couldn't be happier. Looks great. Original band has about as much stretch as I assumed a 70's jubilee would have.
Thank you for your reply!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3978.jpg (79.8 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3972.jpg (68.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3973.jpg (60.0 KB, 161 views)
Catholic Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 02:45 PM   #4
estorlie
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on the watch, it looks like a great example. The dials are called "pie pan" because of the way the edges slope away, as if you were looking at a pie pan from the bottom, rather than stay totally flat. A steel and yellow gold 1601 was my first Rolex as well, and I absolutely love the way the sloped edges of the dial catch the light. I wish I had a better picture of mine to post but this is the best I've got on my computer. As for your question about the winder; if you don't mind having to change the date with a non-quickset, then I would recommend against a winder. I have seen plenty of Rolex movements where the automatic module failed and caused damage to itself as well as to other parts of the movement, but I've never seen one with a failed cannon pinion (used in setting the hands). The only real cannon pinion failure I've ever seen caused no damage to anything else and was very easily fixed, once I finally tracked it down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151103_120220 (2).jpg (67.6 KB, 128 views)
estorlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 03:32 PM   #5
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Nice 1601! This is a 16030 with a flat dial, hopefully you can see the drop off on your 1601 dial just below the markers. If not, just enjoy your new watch! :)

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote