The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 January 2017, 05:41 AM   #1
AaronD
"TRF" Member

GMT Master "Pepsi" to service or not to service?

Hello all,

Brand new to the forum and I'm really glad that I found it! I have a GMT Master that was given to me by my father for graduation (some 32 years ago)...and I'm certain he owned it for probably 15 years before that. I hope to pass it down to my son in the future, as well.

I believe all parts are original -- I've never had it serviced -- and if my Dad serviced it, it was probably in the mid-70s?

The watch runs perfectly...although slow...and I believe the dial and hands are in excellent shape. The exterior has the expected scratches on the crystal, case and bezel from regular wear over 30 years.

Unfortunately the bracelet broke, the watch popped off my wrist and hit a boulder or two...I was fortunate to find the watch again...but there is a small dent in the case back now. Operation of the watch wasn't affected. (gotta love that plexi crystal!) However i never submerged the watch in water after that, for fear the seal could have been breached. (before then I've had it down almost 100ft in the Carribean)

The bracelet was replaced with a Japanese knock off (that, quite frankly, is better than the original...but I would still like to repair the original, if possible)

That's the history -- now my questions: I understand that this being a vintage watch, I need to be very careful not to change/polish/update any parts...but where does this "rule" end? Is it fair game to do whatever is necessary to the movement to bring it "up to snuff"? Is it okay to have the acrylic crystal replaced with a new one? What about the original bezel? Should I leave the original dented case back - or can it be replaced? How important is the bracelet to the value of the watch? Is it worthwhile trying to have the original bracelet repaired...even if it just stays in the box with the papers?
AaronD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 07:53 AM   #2
exador
Banned

Hi and welcome to the forums. You might like to post some photos of the watch so we can help you better.

Additional Options > Manage Attachments > Upload File from your Computer.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 08:28 AM   #3
AaronD
"TRF" Member

I was planning to, but I don't have the watch on me right at the moment...I'll try and upload some tonight.
Old 27 January 2017, 10:26 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Generally the movement should be properly serviced and kept in good working order.

Plastic crystals are expendable and a watch, in-use, should not have a cracked or fragile crystal on it..
Old 28 January 2017, 02:59 AM   #5
AaronD
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info. The crystal is actually in good shape...just a bit scratched. However, my main concern is about the case back..and its dent. I'm assuming that that kind of "wear" should be kept as part of the history of the watch?

sorry no photos yet, my home computer just suffered a motherboard failure...
Old 28 January 2017, 03:14 AM   #6
PACEVIPER
"TRF" Member

If it were my watch I would send it to Rikki at Timecare inc. You can call him and tell him exactly what you want done without altering the historical correctness of the watch. You can search his name on the forum. He is well respected here.....Jimmy
PACEVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2017, 04:23 AM   #7
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
I'd probably service just for the seals, I get my watches wet - a lot, and you would have the bonus of a freshly serviced mvmt.
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2017, 04:56 AM   #8
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

I recently had my AD send my 5513 in for service at RSC in Miami. I told my AD I did not want the hands, dial, bezel, or crystal replaced and I did not want the watch or bracelet polished. After a week RSC said they could service the watch and honor my request and gave me an estimate. They will even guarantee the watch for 2 years after service, apparently older vintage pieces will not get the warranty because Rolex will not guarantee the movement after it reaches a certain age.

I think if your requests do not compromise the soundness of the watch then RSC will probably grant them. If they don't you can ask them to return the watch and find a local vintage expert.

Good luck!
dbfagan is online now   Reply With Quote