The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 June 2018, 01:18 PM   #31
bennykmh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
I would ask for it back immediately and find a well-respected independent watchmaker (plenty of references here on the forum) to fix your watch.
anyone know any well-respected independent watchmaker in Hong Kong?
bennykmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 12:46 AM   #32
phillip ridley
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Rolex Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I met his son when I was there back in 2009 and I know he was learning at the feet of the master. I see more and more people are having work done by Phillip - is Bob still working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Although my father is focusing more time with writing articles and other things, we work side-by-side and continue to keep each other on our toes.
phillip ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 01:09 AM   #33
Redtele58
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJDay View Post
I'll reiterate - I'm working with Phillip Ridley (Bob's son) on a very expensive GMT Master; I was comfortable with his reputation from this forum but the interactions with him from the first contact have made me even more comfortable (phone calls to describe the process, options, insurance coverage for shipping and when in his possession, pictures of service progress, etc.).
^^^^^ This

Phillip did similiar work on my Rootbeer 16753 several weeks ago and I was absolutely amazed at:
1. The quality of his work
2. His communication from first email, throughout the process, and follow up after I received the watch back from him.

I give Phillip my absolute top recommendation and will use him again without hesitation.
Redtele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 05:07 AM   #34
Canforfair
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ, 5513, SD, DAYT
Insist you want the movement service only no external parts to be replaced, they should agree but won’t guarantee the service. Then you get the essentials serviced and keep all your original parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Canforfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 08:11 AM   #35
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Regarding RSC's mandate to replace the bezel...
Perhaps the crystal retaining ring is worn/deformed/fatigued and no longer capable of keeping the watch watertight? And RSC doesn't want to or can't install your old bezel on a new retaining ring because of difference in tolerance?
That's all I can think of.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 08:20 AM   #36
Ckci
"TRF" Member

Watch: FedEx 4 next 1
I’d rather polish a watch with sandpaper then send it to a RSC. I’m no fan of RSC’s if that wasn’t already obvious. I’m surprised they even told you before making the swap.
Ckci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 11:25 AM   #37
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingface66 View Post
i would ask for it back immediately and find a well-respected independent watchmaker (plenty of references here on the forum) to fix your watch.
100%.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 09:03 AM   #38
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I think that stance is a bit much.

Bob Ridley has access to Rolex service parts through official channels. He got me the crown&tube, crystal, and a few movement parts with zero issue.

He’s also trusted by scores of people here. I dropped the watch off and we talked for a couple of hours while he took the watch apart in front of me and assessed the work needed.

Over the course of the next several weeks we had -hours- of phone conversations where he educated me very clearly and carefully about my options and what they meant to the timepiece and to the collectibility, etc... I don’t think there’s a vintage service option as transparent or as trusted out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As long as access through official channels and he is CV21 and Rolex approved no issue. From, my opinion. The owner will make a decision according what is correct for them
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote