The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 November 2019, 08:56 PM   #1
AznD85
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Icon3 Rolex Warranty

So I understand Rolex warranty is transferable among private sales. But if it's through a Jeweler or store that's not an AD the warranty is void.

When needed for service and the watch is clearly within the 5 year warranty period, how can Rolex tell if the pre-owned watch was bought privately or through some place else to service the watch either in warranty or out of warranty?
AznD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 09:05 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznD85 View Post
So I understand Rolex warranty is transferable among private sales. But if it's through a Jeweler or store that's not an AD the warranty is void.

When needed for service and the watch is clearly within the 5 year warranty period, how can Rolex tell if the pre-owned watch was bought privately or through some place else to service the watch either in warranty or out of warranty?
Because all new watches when sold via a official AD the warranty card is swiped much like a credit card which activates the warranty in Rolex USA or SA data base.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 09:16 PM   #3
watchmaker
TechXpert

If anyone is in doubt whether their watch would be covered by Rolex’s warranty for whatever reason I strongly advise they seek the advice of Rolex. It’s their warranty policy and you can be assured they operate within the law so realistically what they say goes. Just make sure you keep everything in writing (paper or email) and if the response doesn’t meet your expectations, challenge them for a second opinion. If multiple sources within Rolex give you the same answer...that’s the answer.

It’s all well and good when we say ‘rabble rabble...the warranty follows the watch...rabble rabble’ but what is said on a forum isn’t really worth a hoot when push comes to shove.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 09:29 PM   #4
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Do you have the warranty card? Did one come with the watch?
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 01:58 AM   #5
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
If anyone is in doubt whether their watch would be covered by Rolex’s warranty for whatever reason I strongly advise they seek the advice of Rolex. It’s their warranty policy and you can be assured they operate within the law so realistically what they say goes. Just make sure you keep everything in writing (paper or email) and if the response doesn’t meet your expectations, challenge them for a second opinion. If multiple sources within Rolex give you the same answer...that’s the answer.

It’s all well and good when we say ‘rabble rabble...the warranty follows the watch...rabble rabble’ but what is said on a forum isn’t really worth a hoot when push comes to shove.
Every watch I have brought into service that doesn't have my name on the warranty card has only been serviced AFTER a hassle about the card, why isn't my name on the card, where did I get the watch, etc etc.

Just my experience with AD's outside my "home base." Most Rolex AD's are a bit pissy about it.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 02:35 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

. . .
This is not true.

The watch is warranted, not the person buying it. If the watch has a 5 year warranty, it is good for 5 years, period - nothing to "transfer".

The likely issue with a re-sale is that the warranty card is not included for whatever reason. Presentation of a valid warranty card is a requirement for warranty work.
Old 6 November 2019, 03:57 AM   #7
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
^^^ Yep this^^^
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 04:15 AM   #8
GBD
"TRF" Member

To clarify, you *do not* need a warranty card to have the watch serviced under warranty, but it's the easiest way to show that the watch is within the warranty period. The card is a representation of the warranty but not the warranty itself. If you can show the watch is within the warranty period then Rolex is obligated to abide, warranty card or not.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 05:59 AM   #9
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Incorrect understanding, as others have pointed out.

Three services at Dallas RSC, zero issues, just presented watches and warranty cards with some dudes' names on them.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 09:35 PM   #10
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
all i can say just sent my wifes rolex to dallas they wanted the warranty card thats in her name with the watch and copy of her id I think the warranty doesn't follow the watch
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 11:12 AM   #11
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhose View Post
all i can say just sent my wifes rolex to dallas they wanted the warranty card thats in her name with the watch and copy of her id I think the warranty doesn't follow the watch
Rolex thinks otherwise... I know that won't convince everyone though...

https://www.rolex.com/services/faq.html
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 11:26 AM   #12
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
If the watch has a problem within the warranty period
Anyone can take the watch to the RSC with the warranty card which has been stamped etc.
and Rolex will fix it for you...they do not ask for your ID to see if you are the person who’s
name appear in the warranty card.
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 11:44 AM   #13
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Should work like a vehicle warranty.
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 12:17 PM   #14
olc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempoKing View Post
If the watch has a problem within the warranty period
Anyone can take the watch to the RSC with the warranty card which has been stamped etc.
and Rolex will fix it for you...they do not ask for your ID to see if you are the person who’s
name appear in the warranty card.

This is not quite true, unfortunately. New York RSC does ask for ID to verify that you are the original holder of the warranty. They will give you a very hard time about using a transferred warranty card. It’s not impossible, but it’s a giant hassle. I’ve heard Dallas is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
olc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 02:09 PM   #15
PossumDixon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
I was trying on Rolexes the other day at a jewelry store that had probably 300 Rolex watches on display. Every model. I wouldn’t really call it a grey dealer but I guess to some extent they were. Mix of used, Like new in box, and some NIB examples with stickers. Most were within the 5 year period and most were box and papers. The owner of the store was adamant with me that no watch there had any warranty, no matter if Card was there and within 5 years. He gave 1 year from his store but that was it. We talked about it at length for 15 minutes. He said, basically, that he couldn’t guarantee any of the watches had their card swiped properly at an AD, but as far as he was concerned Rolex would not honor any warranty claim. I was surprised that he would say that, as I wasn’t sure it was true and certainly wouldn’t help him sell more watches. This guy was sitting on millions in Rolex inventory. Didn’t know what to think when I left.

The other brands he had, Panerai, Omega, those were fully warranteed.
PossumDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 02:23 PM   #16
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
There is no transferred warranty card.

What if you choose to get "XXXX" on the warranty card? Are you supposed to show an ID that says XXXX on it?

I can understand if there's a name on it or Michael Chiu and you're Jordan Smith. What hard time is there to get from it? Say Michael gifted it to you. That's the end.

In state of New York they operate under a law that doesn't permit the shop in selling a watch with a warranty card on it and which is why Joma doesn't send the warranty card out with the watch. Instead gives you their own "2 years", which means when you send it back to them to get it fixed they will send it to RSC alongside the warranty card they hold (this last bit is an assumption).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossumDixon View Post
I was trying on Rolexes the other day at a jewelry store that had probably 300 Rolex watches on display. Every model. I wouldn’t really call it a gray dealer but I guess to some extent they were. Mix of used, Like new in box, and some NIB examples with stickers. Most were within the 5 year period and most were box and papers. The owner of the store was adamant with me that no watch there had any warranty, no matter if Card was there and within 5 years. He gave 1 year from his store but that was it. We talked about it at length for 15 minutes. He said, basically, that he couldn’t guarantee any of the watches had their card swiped properly at an AD, but as far as he was concerned Rolex would not honor any warranty claim. I was surprised that he would say that, as I wasn’t sure it was true and certainly wouldn’t help him sell more watches. This guy was sitting on millions in Rolex inventory. Didn’t know what to think when I left.

That is a grey dealer. The guy is talking gibberish. Him holding the warranty card it means youll have a very hard time in off-loading the watch for your own personal gain if the prices would be going up.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 02:46 PM   #17
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

A new Rolex watch can only be bought from a Rolex AD.

A new Rolex watch has a five year warranty.

It seems that some RSC’s still don’t understand this.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 03:11 PM   #18
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossumDixon View Post
I was trying on Rolexes the other day at a jewelry store that had probably 300 Rolex watches on display. Every model. I wouldn’t really call it a grey dealer but I guess to some extent they were. Mix of used, Like new in box, and some NIB examples with stickers. Most were within the 5 year period and most were box and papers. The owner of the store was adamant with me that no watch there had any warranty, no matter if Card was there and within 5 years. He gave 1 year from his store but that was it. We talked about it at length for 15 minutes. He said, basically, that he couldn’t guarantee any of the watches had their card swiped properly at an AD, but as far as he was concerned Rolex would not honor any warranty claim. I was surprised that he would say that, as I wasn’t sure it was true and certainly wouldn’t help him sell more watches. This guy was sitting on millions in Rolex inventory. Didn’t know what to think when I left.

He's just trying to cover his own ass. Under promise, over deliver kind of thing.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote