The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 15 March 2024, 11:10 PM   #1
Saransh
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Rootbeer
Might be a bit controversial but honest.

hey guys, I am seeing many homage watches lately but I just don understand those watches am I missing something ? how is that not copying an other brand ? like when the VRTNR came out i saw many micro brands making watches just like the sprite and also left handed. if there was no intention of copying a brand why didn't they come out with something like that in the first place ?
I stand open to be educated maybe it's not as deep as I think. Or maybe im still a noob in the watch world.

I truly believe wear what u love so if someone here enjoys homages tell me why you enjoy them
Saransh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 11:23 PM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Actually, the whole watch industry copies from the past and other manufacturers in terms of case design, dials and movement structure. Some designs are iconic, and time tested, and everyone uses them once the patents run out. I actually have a homage Sub coming and will share when it arrives next month.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 11:26 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Imitation ~ the sincerest form of flattery.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 11:27 PM   #4
Saransh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Actually, the whole watch industry copies from the past and other manufacturers in terms of case design, dials and movement structure. Some designs are iconic, and time tested, and everyone uses them once the patents run out. I actually have a homage Sub coming and will share when it arrives next month.
please do share !

I just saw a beautiful San Martin but it looks very similar to my BB58.
Old 15 March 2024, 11:28 PM   #5
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I think there is a massive difference between homage and replica.

Design languages are often duplicated and it happens everywhere. Cars, furniture, jewelry.

I'm cool with homage pieces that mimic the design language and the aesthetics but I am just not cool with a straight copy that tries to pass as the real thing.

I've never owned a homage piece but I don't think I'd have an issue wearing one if I found something that I liked.
Old 15 March 2024, 11:33 PM   #6
Saransh
"TRF" Member

Im looking at pagani design aren't those just basically cloning the designs ?
Old 15 March 2024, 11:41 PM   #7
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
I think there's a fine like all things. Some "homage" watches use similar but broad design language while others are just straight copies with a different logo.

Until Rolex turns back the clock to 2015 when you could just walk in to a shop, hand over a bunch of money and walk out with anything you want, I'm all for micro brands making beautiful watches that clearly pay homage to the big name watches.

There's one homage watch that always has me baffled though. It's the The Gevril “Paul Newman” Daytona. I've seen it on the market for like $4000-5000. What's the deal with that watch? It seems to be valuable (relatively) and collectible.

If you don't mind me asking which Sub homage are you getting and what is the price point?
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 12:01 AM   #8
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Submariners and Datejusts have been copied as long as I can remember. Timex, Tag Heuer, and other brands didn’t come up with these designs by themselves. They “borrowed” from Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 12:09 AM   #9
Saransh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Submariners and Datejusts have been copied as long as I can remember. Timex, Tag Heuer, and other brands didn’t come up with these designs by themselves. They “borrowed” from Rolex.

oh wow so it isn't just hublot with their Santos copy
Old 16 March 2024, 12:16 AM   #10
madsitalia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saransh View Post
hey guys, I am seeing many homage watches lately but I just don understand those watches am I missing something ? how is that not copying an other brand ? like when the VRTNR came out i saw many micro brands making watches just like the sprite and also left handed. if there was no intention of copying a brand why didn't they come out with something like that in the first place ?
I stand open to be educated maybe it's not as deep as I think. Or maybe im still a noob in the watch world.

I truly believe wear what u love so if someone here enjoys homages tell me why you enjoy them
I don't get it either.
madsitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 12:19 AM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Imitation ~ the sincerest form of flattery.
Exactly that but when they first introduced left-hand Rolex way back decades ago they were very poor sellers and soon discontinued, different story today mainly down to the hype,but today hype sells watches.And today many watches look similar to many watches,you could say even Rolex done it as Blancpain fifty fathom was on the market 1953.The first Sub rolled out Basel 1954 it looked remarkably like the Blancpain fifty fathom.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 12:30 AM   #12
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saransh View Post
Im looking at pagani design aren't those just basically cloning the designs ?
Pagani and San Martin...I really don't understand how these 2 companies are able to make blatant ripoffs.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 12:53 AM   #13
Quaress
"TRF" Member

Honestly, I'm not surprised when someone buys a Pagani design watch, there are a lot of people who buy a watch just for the design, not much for the prestige of the brand. I can understand the price for precious metals, but I find the SS Rolex to be incredibly overpriced and I'm surprised anyone buys it.

https://www.paganidesignwatch.com/fr...esign-pd-1662/

https://www.paganidesignwatch.com/pa...esign-pd-1661/
Quaress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 12:55 AM   #14
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T

Quote:

Me, too, and is yours made to order, so to speak?
To answer the original question, a lot of people would love to buy a Rolex, but can’t afford one. So, they buy a similar looking watch, for a few hundred bucks. Who can blame them? As long as it doesn’t say Rolex on the dial, there is nothing wrong with buying and wearing an homage. Some folks here are offended by them. It’s a good way to see if you might like a real Rolex, of the very similar aesthetic. As someone else said, lots of famous brands have homages. Everybody and his brother makes a tank, a la Cartier.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 01:07 AM   #15
Saransh
"TRF" Member

what does made to order mean ?
Old 16 March 2024, 01:18 AM   #16
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaress View Post
Honestly, I'm not surprised when someone buys a Pagani design watch, there are a lot of people who buy a watch just for the design, not much for the prestige of the brand. I can understand the price for precious metals, but I find the SS Rolex to be incredibly overpriced and I'm surprised anyone buys it.

Some people prefer Dom Perignon. Others prefer the cheapest bottle they can buy.

Old 16 March 2024, 01:27 AM   #17
Quaress
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some people prefer Dom Perignon. Others prefer the cheapest bottle they can buy.

I wouldn't buy them, but that doesn't change the fact that ss models are unnecessarily overpriced and unfortunately, the vast majority of people only go after the brand without having any deeper relationship with the company.
Old 16 March 2024, 01:29 AM   #18
Saransh
"TRF" Member

Quote:

basically the watches can tell time
and de Champagne can get you drunk
whatever floats their boat

I personally love my champagne from a family we know located in Chigny-les-Roses. You cannot believe how good small scale champagne houses can be !
Old 16 March 2024, 01:38 AM   #19
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
When a brand makes great designs but has an effed-up distribution system, other brands see opportunity.
Old 16 March 2024, 01:46 AM   #20
DoubleDeac
"TRF" Member

It’s the same in other industries. It seems like every midsize SUV looks pretty much the same (especially in black).

To be honest, when I first saw a date just back in my college days, I was super underwhelmed with its design as I felt that I had seen it 1000x before. Just goes to you how ubiquitous it is and how many have copied it/will copy it.
DoubleDeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 01:49 AM   #21
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Wow, a pro-homage thread on The Rolex Forum. Unbelievable.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 01:53 AM   #22
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Lol, you are saying you are surprised that anyone buys a SS Rolex on a Rolexforum?

I'm truly surprised if anyone is buying those Pagani designs and wearing a blatant rip off!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 02:05 AM   #23
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I wouldn't buy them, but that doesn't change the fact that ss models are unnecessarily overpriced and unfortunately, the vast majority of people only go after the brand without having any deeper relationship with the company.

I worked in the financial sector for decades. So maybe I look at it differently. They’re not over priced because you’re paying $10,000 for something that has a market value of $10,000.

It’s no different than buying a house. Some of these homes in Los Angeles, for example, seem ridiculously overpriced to me. But if you buy one and it retains value or even appreciates in value, then you can’t say it’s overpriced. It’s actually priced based on what the market will bear.

In terms of these cheap knockoffs, they’re only a couple hundred dollars for a reason. They can’t sell them for anymore than that.

Old 16 March 2024, 02:13 AM   #24
Saransh
"TRF" Member

after looking some things up and collecting my feelings in all honesty I don't think I would like to wear a homage I understand the feeling behind it for people who are less fortune.
but then again look at all the other amazing super cool brands like seiko Tissot Hamilton etc.
there's a time and place for everything and everyone. you gotta crawl first to walk and walk first to run.
I don't have enough funds for an AP or PP I would love an aquanaut in rose gold. but I know I might never or it may take ages. But I can't wear a clone or an inspired watch of a watch I know I want it wouldn't feel right.
this is why I love rolex for my category I can achieve it and I know they are awesome watches.
Old 16 March 2024, 02:26 AM   #25
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
I ordered a homage recently, the controversial, made to order one even. It's got a lot of features I love about Rolex watches that I have owned or wanted to own, all in one package that was never offered by Rolex themselves. I want to try another 40mm watch, and the price of this one is about the same cost I would eat if I bought an actual 5 digit Rolex or Tudor sub grey market, didn't like it the 40mm size (again, for the 3rd time), and sold it again. In my screwed up watch enthusiast mind, that makes it basically free. I also couldn't care less about the alleged controversy, kind of an interesting story actually, and am zero percent concerned about what someone may think of the "homage" brand on my wrist in person.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 02:41 AM   #26
Quaress
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
I ordered a homage recently, the controversial, made to order one even. It's got a lot of features I love about Rolex watches that I have owned or wanted to own, all in one package that was never offered by Rolex themselves. I want to try another 40mm watch, and the price of this one is about the same cost I would eat if I bought an actual 5 digit Rolex or Tudor sub grey market, didn't like it the 40mm size (again, for the 3rd time), and sold it again. In my screwed up watch enthusiast mind, that makes it basically free. I also couldn't care less about the alleged controversy, kind of an interesting story actually, and am zero percent concerned about what someone may think of the "homage" brand on my wrist in person.

In my opinion, no one can say anything about it, because it is not a fake, as you can see with brands such as Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Lacoste, etc., Pagani design, for example, has its own name and does not play the brand of world-famous watches such as Rolex, Breitling, Omega, etc.
Old 16 March 2024, 02:46 AM   #27
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

I don't understand why people care about borrowed design language / homage / etc.

Now, super replicas are a different story. I think those are ridiculous and i'm not sure how Rolex (and others) haven't legally done anything, unless they are all domiciled in countries where Rolex can't really do anything about it.
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 02:48 AM   #28
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
Nothing wrong at all with buying and wearing one.
Old 16 March 2024, 03:03 AM   #29
Yup
Banned

There are lower cost watches that don’t copy other designs, more appealing personally than wearing something so derivative, although I don’t own any. There’s one lower cost Longines that I regret not buying and can’t find anywhere, it looks similar to an old Explorer but was an original design back in the day.
Yup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 03:06 AM   #30
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Wow, a pro-homage thread on The Rolex Forum. Unbelievable.

LOL. I’m surprised, also.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote