The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 8 August 2017, 12:05 AM   #1
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Tudor Black Bay S&G (79733) Review

Tudor Black Bay S&G (79733) Review

Case

As many of you know the case dimensions are the same as any other in house Black Bay at 41 mm wide, 14.8 mm thick and 50 mm lug to lug. Although I was concerned about the thickness after trying the watch on I was pleasantly surprised. It is 2 mm thicker than a SubC and .7 mm thicker than a Pelagos. However, the case back is flatter than both those watches and the crystal is domed. The lugs are tapered and chamfered with polishing and polished outsides. I really enjoy this aspect of the case.

Overall, even on my 6.3 inch wrist, it is very wearable and even slides under a dress shirt cuff.

Crystal

The crystal is domed and no surprise it is sapphire. It gives the appearance of the older Plexiglas crystals with more durability. It adds to the vintage look of the watch but doesn’t do it in a distasteful or fake manner.

Bezel & Insert

The bezel is solid gold. Same coin edge that is throughout the black bay diver line. It is well made and solid. At 60 clicks it has very nice action. Between this and a 120 click I am really not sure which I prefer. Both are excellent.

The insert is anodized aluminum with brushed gold tone numbering. It matches the gold perfectly. The pip is gold surround with white lume. I am not sure why they did it white versus the yellow lume on the dial but I think it ties in nicely to the white date display at 3 o’clock. In any event it doesn’t bother me but could be a criticism.

Crown & Tube

The crown is capped gold at a thickness of .6 mm. That is extremely thick for capping. It is decorated with the rose in black. It also has the same coin edge that matches the bezel. The tube is black anodized aluminum and works really well. It is a nice detail. No crown guards on this model like the other black bays but I don’t mind it. Some have said the crown is too big. I disagree. The crown action is butter smooth. In fact it is as smooth as my SubC.

My favorite part about the crown is because of the rose design it is always “upright”. This is a first world complaint of many who own Rolex, outside of those with upright crowns or those with a Sky Dweller, and I appreciate the design aspect.

Dial & Hands

The dial is similar to the black bay red or black bay black. The minute markings on the dial are gold and match the brushed gold perfectly. Likewise the same for the Tudor shield and dial text. The hour plots are gold with yellow lume, which glows green, as are the snowflake hands. I appreciate they kept these polished versus brushed. Everything really catches the light while. The dial is not flat black as many of you know but has brown undertones. It really works well with the gold.

They say the dial is domed. I can’t tell but I think it is subtle either way. The difference between this and many of the predecessor black bays is the date at 3 o’clock. When I first saw it in pictures I said “why didn’t they do it in yellow tone?” It is a criticism. However, in terms of legibility I am not sure that would work well without a date magnifier on the crystal. I wouldn’t mind to have seen it mocked up to get an idea.

Movement

The movement is the same as in the Pelagos the Tudor in house MT5612. This movement is great. I really appreciate the 70 hour power reserve. Not much else to be said it is chronometer. We will have to see in terms of reliability – but it has some very nice technology. Yes it made the case thicker from the original ETA version of the black bay. To me the thickness is a reasonable sacrifice for a larger power reserve and in house movement. To some it is not and I appreciate that. More can be found here:

https://www.tudorwatch.com/magazine/.../movement-5612

Bracelet

Aside from the crown this is the most controversial aspect of the watch. The bracelet is brushed. The center links on the end links are solid gold. The center links on the rest are capped at a thickness of .2 mm. This again is much thicker than plating. I am not going to defend the decision to do this. I would have paid more for more gold. That said I don’t mind it obviously because I bought the watch. However, I heard it can take 13 polishes. If you don’t like it you can get the watch on the strap with deployment. For me I would rather have the black bay red on strap if I were going that route.

The brushing is excellent. The addition to this watch over previous black backs (before the black bay black with in house) is the riveted bracelet. This was something I really thought I would not like. However, I was wrong. I like it. It adds to the detail of the watch. When viewed from the side it ties in nicely to the chamfered edge of the case.

Clasp

The clasp is not two-tone but is steel. I don’t mind that actually, especially if it weren’t solid gold, because the clasp as we know takes a lot of abuse even on the least abused watch. It is brushed but polished on the inner and outer edges. The polishing ties in with the edge of the case and of the bracelet. Really works well. It is flip lock and very secure. Not bulky and sits well in line with the rest of the bracelet. It has an older style extension that you need a tool or toothpick to move in 3 mm increments. My only criticism is I wish it had easy link or something of that manner.

Final Thoughts

I am not sure what Tudor set out to accomplish with this model. But let me tell you what they accomplished for me:

•An alternative to the 116613ln at a reasonable price point. Forget about MSRP. This watch used will be 33-37% of the price of a used 116613ln. It is already close to that new if you can find the right seller.
• A modern dive watch that uses vintage aspects which have been updated for technological advancements in horology.
• An overall good looking watch.
• Something different – brushed gold center links as an alternative to PCLs.
• A watch that can be worn with a suit or a swimsuit.

Below are some of my favorite pictures thus far as well as angles showing of the watch. Thank you for reading:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
8a.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 01:24 AM   #2
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Congratulations on a great watch , great review , great pictures and I'm sure you will enjoy for many years to come. Tudor have hit a home run on this watch, I have the BB steel ( I would have bought the S&G but already have a GMTCii TT )& agree with every word & have thought about adding a cyclops over the date , but think the date window might be a little offset to accommodate one . If someone could mock up a picture that would be appreciated , also I have a small criticism of the bracelet & lack of micro adjustment , there are only three available which I just couldn't set and just wasn't comfortable for me . So I have fitted a Pelagos rubber on the end links, & couldn't be happier now .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 10:16 AM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRWATCH View Post
Congratulations on a great watch , great review , great pictures and I'm sure you will enjoy for many years to come. Tudor have hit a home run on this watch, I have the BB steel ( I would have bought the S&G but already have a GMTCii TT )& agree with every word & have thought about adding a cyclops over the date , but think the date window might be a little offset to accommodate one . If someone could mock up a picture that would be appreciated , also I have a small criticism of the bracelet & lack of micro adjustment , there are only three available which I just couldn't set and just wasn't comfortable for me . So I have fitted a Pelagos rubber on the end links, & couldn't be happier now .
Ty. happy I could join the bb owners family.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 8 August 2017, 11:11 AM   #4
173rdabn
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Beautiful watch. I've never heard of nor seen, wear through on any Rolex gold capping
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 01:18 AM   #5
kwingy
"TRF" Member

Nice review mate - thanks for taking the time to post.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 04:06 AM   #6
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Great review! I think it looks fantastic!
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 06:01 AM   #7
Schack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Great review and pictures. A really attractive and nice addition to the BB line. I had the pleasure of trying on the BB S&G two weeks ago. Also looks great on an aged black leather strap.
Schack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 09:28 AM   #8
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. I'm enjoying it more each day.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 9 August 2017, 10:39 AM   #9
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Great review
Old 9 August 2017, 11:02 AM   #10
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Great review
Thanks

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 10 August 2017, 07:01 AM   #11
Boothroyd
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Great review. I was reading up on this model over the weekend, and appreciate the information that the bracelet gold wrap can take 13 polishes max. Very good info.
Old 10 August 2017, 11:24 AM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Great review. I was reading up on this model over the weekend, and appreciate the information that the bracelet gold wrap can take 13 polishes max. Very good info.
Ty glad I could share

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 26 October 2017, 03:36 AM   #13
Spectre007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16030 DJ
How was sizing the bracelet?
I see it uses screws. Is it just traditional screws or a pin and collar system?
Thank you :)

Oh! and congrats again!
Seiko Modder
Youtuber: WatchRob
Spectre007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 08:02 AM   #14
miasub
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Great review and beautiful pics. Congrats on the watch. I'm in love with my Black Bay Blue and I'm liking this one more and more
miasub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 11:26 AM   #15
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasub View Post
Great review and beautiful pics. Congrats on the watch. I'm in love with my Black Bay Blue and I'm liking this one more and more
ty if you want to check it out visit tourneau in merrick park. they are an ad and had it there today.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 27 October 2017, 04:34 PM   #16
dinesssh1258
"TRF" Member

hi
you share very good information about your watch, i love that watch , please share some more information thank you so much
dinesssh1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 05:52 AM   #17
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesssh1258 View Post
hi
you share very good information about your watch, i love that watch , please share some more information thank you so much
ty sir. i appreciate the comments. on my next purchase i will do a similar post.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 11 November 2017, 05:53 AM   #18
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre007 View Post
How was sizing the bracelet?
I see it uses screws. Is it just traditional screws or a pin and collar system?
Thank you :)

Oh! and congrats again!
traditional pin. the rivets are fixed links.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 11 November 2017, 06:05 PM   #19
reloxt
"TRF" Member

Great review, thanks. Have it on leather and love it.

...Done flipping and changing....... (never...)
reloxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 11:02 PM   #20
Huliganchik
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 116503
Great review. I've been enjoying mine for couple of days now.
I never noticed difference in lume color on the pip. It looks the same to me. Otherwise great watch. I was only a little worry about the movement but it's doing amazing even when compared to its superlative brothers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Huliganchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 09:08 PM   #21
Chime101
"TRF" Member

superb review. I have been debating whether these will become an all time classic. I would be interested to know how hardy they are over time
Chime101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 06:36 PM   #22
the watchthusiast
"TRF" Member

Great review, watch looks amazing
the watchthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 04:45 AM   #23
ajcauble
"TRF" Member

Thank you for doing this. The pictures are incredible!
ajcauble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:40 AM   #24
Etschell
"TRF" Member

yw

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 15 January 2018, 01:12 AM   #25
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
My most favorite Tudor along with the LHD Pelagos.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 05:39 PM   #26
Johnsilva
"TRF" Member

Tudor should be careful, they were cool for a moment, now becoming very uncool
Johnsilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 01:27 PM   #27
Colinleunson
"TRF" Member

Wearing one on aged leather, sold my yachtmaster and this is my daily. Love it thanks for the review looks fantastic on a bracelet too!
Colinleunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 04:25 PM   #28
Moe2
"TRF" Member

Thanks
Moe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 04:03 AM   #29
iznoguud
"TRF" Member

Watch: Torn between a few
I do LOVE the Steel and Yellow Gold BB Heritage, it has THAT, particular, LOOK of charming while rugged at the same time... something akin to James Bond, of the old times, in a suit doing a stunt with all that glamour that only He managed to.

Do also love the BB Red and BB Blue and the only thing that annoys me a bit it that there's no gold edging on the BB Blue while there is on the Red... That and the only 100 Harrods' Green version (I would love a Green version one).
iznoguud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:37 AM   #30
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Great review thanks. Have tried on both bracelet and leather, the leather is calling me!
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote