The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 30 October 2008, 02:45 PM   #1
klayface

Watch: SS Daytona w/ dial
which rolex has the highest jewel movement and does it more accurate?

Is it the daytona and with it being at 41 does it make it more precise over others? Or is it at 41 because of the chrono feature?
klayface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 04:24 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by klayface View Post
Is it the daytona and with it being at 41 does it make it more precise over others? Or is it at 41 because of the chrono feature?
The Daytona 4130 calibre is fitted with 44 jewels - all other Rolex watches (including the ladies models) are fitted with 31.

The Chrono movement has more moving parts than the standard movement and would, therefore, necessitate more jewels. Each jewel is nothing but a very hard synthetic ruby which acts like a "bearing" to the moving parts of the watch.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 06:38 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Fact a 15 17 21 25 26 27 31 44 51 56 jewel movement can all be as accurate as each other.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Fact a 15 17 21 25 26 27 31 44 51 56 jewel movement can all be as accurate as each other.

Padi, would this Waltham be the most accurate mechanical watch ever? It has a hunnert jewels, and some of 'em are even in the movement!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100jewel_3b.jpg (47.4 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg 100jewel_4b.jpg (53.1 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg 100jewel_8b.jpg (66.1 KB, 397 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 09:21 PM   #5
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
There's basically areas on the movement where Jewels are required, then there are areas where they are more decorative, i think in real terms watches usually have 17,19,21,25 or 31 jewels (last two for chronos), anything more is pretty much decorating areas that don't really require a jewel unless they're grand complications.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 09:51 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Padi, would this Waltham be the most accurate mechanical watch ever? It has a hunnert jewels, and some of 'em are even in the movement!!!
Well anything is possible Al I remember the Jewel wars quite well mine has more or bigger etc.And still goes on today boasts like mine can go deeper than yours etc.But in reality doubt if it will be ever needed,much like tourbillions in wrist watches they make them because they can.Very very expensive but no more accurate than any standard chronometer watch.And talking about accuracy although not anal about it, this $60 Alpha is one of the most accurate watches I have ever owned.It really amazes me after a bit of fine tuning how accurate it is.Its worn most days and wound nearly every day and it surpasses quite a few of my high end watches in overall real term accuracy. And still running strong for over two years now but for how much longer well time will tell.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2008, 01:47 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by klayface View Post
I think you've about hit it right... more features and not necessarily more accurate

The basic watch as we know it starts with about 15 Jewels, 7 of which are on the actual escapement - upper and lower balance staff hole jewel, upper and lower balance staff cap jewel, a roller jewel (this is where the pallet "connects" with the hairspring balance), and two jewels on the pallet "arms" that lock and unlock the escape wheel.

That leaves the rest to give a bearing bushing to the wheels or gears that turn, even if there isn't a lot off movement involved..

There is almost always an odd number because of that 1 roller jewel.

For the 17 jewel watch, they add two extra hole jewels, or bushing jewels to the center wheel, ..
...for a 21, add two to the pallet shaft and two cap jewels to the escape wheel..

Then add some to the date wheel... other complications..chrono functions...

Before you know it, you have a handful all over the place....

But it really goes back to that initial 7 doing most of the work...and 21 being a fully jeweled movement..

As Padi said....a 15 jewel movement can be as accurate as a 44 jewel movement.
Old 6 November 2008, 04:21 PM   #8
wanasub
"TRF" Member

I was told by a watch repairman (non rolex) that the synthetic jewels also devolop a type of charge (maybe static?) which attracts the oils to areas of critical need.
wanasub is offline   Reply With Quote