The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 December 2018, 09:58 PM   #1
Rolexguy-
"TRF" Member

Icon19 Buying a vintage Rolex - advice needed

Hello, I have just completed the registration here. I would like to buy a vintage Rolex I'm interested in following models:

1675 white graphic not gilt or special versions. Price range: 11.000-13.500 USD
1680 red no special dials (like meters first) Price range: 17.000- 25.000 USD
5513 white graphic not gilt or special versions Price range: 10.000- 13.500 USD

I have seen a bunch of watches online with a wide range of prices. Are the prices I found correct? Or cheaper watches can have troubles (like replaced parts)?

Are forum markets safe to buy? Can I buy confident? Or better to buy from a skilled dealer with COA and guarantee?

I know that dials with replaced tritium are cheaper. But I have seen most of watches with restored cases. Is it a problem a restored case?

looking forward to hear your answers and suggestions!
Rolexguy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:51 AM   #2
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexguy- View Post
Hello, I have just completed the registration here. I would like to buy a vintage Rolex I'm interested in following models:

1675 white graphic not gilt or special versions. Price range: 11.000-13.500 USD
1680 red no special dials (like meters first) Price range: 17.000- 25.000 USD
5513 white graphic not gilt or special versions Price range: 10.000- 13.500 USD

I have seen a bunch of watches online with a wide range of prices. Are the prices I found correct? Or cheaper watches can have troubles (like replaced parts)?

Are forum markets safe to buy? Can I buy confident? Or better to buy from a skilled dealer with COA and guarantee?

I know that dials with replaced tritium are cheaper. But I have seen most of watches with restored cases. Is it a problem a restored case?

looking forward to hear your answers and suggestions!
You are in the right place. You can use the search function to educate yourself. Also look at the trusted sellers area.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 03:11 AM   #3
Rolexguy-
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your reply.

What about prices? Are the price range correct? Buying from a collector (wihout COA and guarantee) would be much cheaper than a dealer price or no big difference?
Old 16 December 2018, 03:57 AM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

As @lhanddds suggested, I think that more education would be helpful for you. The answers to your questions are nuanced, and will become apparent over time.
Old 16 December 2018, 05:08 AM   #5
Rolexguy-
"TRF" Member

I didn't find any thread with prices and info I'm looking for.
Old 16 December 2018, 05:13 AM   #6
colpol
"TRF" Member

Agree with what the guys above have said

Price ranges are just that. Checked out trusted sellers via ads/ websites - get an idea in your mind what’s being asked & for what. The best/ all original pieces will command a premium & personally feel it’s always worth stretching to get the best watch you can if possible. I’m no expert so the 2 pieces I bought came from a seller with a stellar reputation which for me - paying for peace of myself also came into the final price ;.)
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 05:18 AM   #7
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You seem impatient. A vintage Rolex education doesn't happen in a few days, it takes time and effort. If you aren't really that interested in doing that just turn it over to a trusted dealer and let him do his job. You'll get a nice watch at a good value. None of these professionals would risk his reputation to screw you on a 5513.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 05:19 AM   #8
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Forum rules don't allow for us to give valuations... best thing to do is educate yourself. There are a lot of threads here to help you with each of these references.

From there, find an example you want to purchase and post as many high quality pics of the piece as you can, you will get free expert advice from some great people. Beyond the obvious photos, make sure you include the serial number between the lugs, clasp and endlink photos.

Generally the sales forum here is a good place to start for purchases, there is also a list of trusted sellers. The key with vintage is to "buy the seller" there may be a slight premium there but trying to find a deal will end up hurting you in the end every time, especially with the collecting as hot and crowded as it is now.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 05:41 AM   #9
Rolexguy-
"TRF" Member

is it possible to check 100% trough pics if a Rolex is 100 ok? Or hand inspection is needed? I have heard from some guys only hand inspection is 100% ok.

I know things to check are:

1) Dial
2) Serial numbers/stamps if they are correct with dial
3) Insert
4) Crown
5) Movement (opened)
5) Bracelet

Also these things can be checked trough pics and being 100% sure?

One of the dealer I know he told me these prices in Euros:

12k for 5513 and 1675 (basic models) 13.500 USD
22-23k for 1680 red (basic model) 24-26k USD

This dealer is well known in this business. His watches are only top watches, he does include his COA (that is well recognized), and guarantee on the movement. He is a very kind person.

I just checked a thread saying prices for 1680 red are now around 30k USD. So assuming he didn't gave crazy prices?

If the prices that the dealer I know gave me are fair I would go trough him. Saving 1.000 USD for running a (big) risk I don't know if it worth. But if is possible to find nice watches easily I can without.
Old 16 December 2018, 08:07 AM   #10
colpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpol View Post
I’m no expert so the 2 pieces I bought came from a seller with a stellar reputation which for me - paying for peace of myself also came into the final price ;.)
That should have said ‘paying for piece of mind’
Bloody autocorrect :.)
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 09:45 AM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
I doubt you'll find any serious threads on pricing. I wrote a thread a while back on the GMT models but prices have appreciated since that time.

Spend some time in the reference section and browse the threads there and also here in the vintage section.

Condition and originality are the driving factors when it comes to pricing - that's why prices seem to be all over the place. As an example, a GMT 1675 without papers/accessories can vary in price as much as $8,000 to $18,000 based on condition and correct parts.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote