The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 December 2018, 11:09 AM   #31
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

GMT IIc vs SubC for comfort

If the GMTc was too big for you, I think you’d be making a big mistake by getting a SubC, which wears bigger. The fact that you are even asking this question should tell you that you shouldn’t buy it. If you are looking for a sub, then go 5 digit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 11:24 AM   #32
Astro_Train
Banned

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
If you found the GMTc to be too uncomfortable to keep, I don't think you're going to find the SubC to be sufficiently more comfortable to warrant purchasing it. They're very similar watches in shape, dimensions and weight. Individual experiences may vary as to which is more comfortable, but we're talking degrees of difference here, not orders of magnitude.
+1

For me my 126711 feels a tad bit more comfortable than a Sub C. I have a 6.75 wrist.
Astro_Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 11:44 AM   #33
Lemonvr6
"TRF" Member

Mine all feel the same. If there’s a difference, it’s not much
Old 16 December 2018, 11:48 AM   #34
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I have found that watch comfort is highly subjective. The opinion of other people is almost useless. I need to try the watch on to tell if it feels good.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 11:58 AM   #35
LesserBlackDog
"TRF" Member

I think for now I’ve decided on a modified version of my Plan A. Get a BB58, but keep the Explo II also. The BB58 is affordable enough that I can...
LesserBlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 12:25 PM   #36
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I have both and I can't tell the difference in weight or wearability. They feel the same to me.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 09:59 PM   #37
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
The GMT is more comfortable on my wrist. YMMV
Old 16 December 2018, 10:05 PM   #38
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

I own both.
I’ve had my SubC since January 2017, the most comfortable watch I own.

I acquired my GMT BLNR last month, this is now the most comfortable!

Just my .2c
ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 11:09 PM   #39
Big_Red
"TRF" Member

While the clasp on the subs are long, the adjustability is freaking fantastic. From winter to muggy heat, my wrist changes a good bit.
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 11:11 PM   #40
peterpl
Banned

GMT2c doesnt have micro adjuster. That is the only downside of that.

My SubC fits perfect whether its freezing cold or in 40 degree Celsius weather - that micro adjuster is fantastic
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:32 AM   #41
melrob1
"TRF" Member

I’ve owned both a few times. GMT is much more comfortable for my 6.5”
Mainly because of case size. GL on Sub is great.
But here is a wrinkle. Buy the Sub and throw an Everest strap that uses the GL clasp. I never thought anything would be more comfortable than a Daytona. Well the Sub on an Everest ruber with GL is beyond comfortable! If you are ok with the case size on your wrist this is the way to go!
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:58 AM   #42
ahlee00023
"TRF" Member

They are both comfortable. Not much difference imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 17 December 2018, 11:53 AM   #43
LesserBlackDog
"TRF" Member

Tried some stuff on today to try to help make my decision.

It did not help.

Old 17 December 2018, 12:04 PM   #44
madugo
"TRF" Member

Have both and can definitely feel the thicker caseback of the sub. So gmt sits lower on wrist and feels slightly better.
madugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:34 PM   #45
1WatchDawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610T Sub Date
I still think a OP36 or DJ36 would be perfect for you!
1WatchDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 02:49 PM   #46
eonflux
"TRF" Member

My GMTc and Subc feel about the same to me on my wrist.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 02:54 PM   #47
BMRand
"TRF" Member

Hard to beat the glidelock
BMRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:39 PM   #48
tle156
"TRF" Member

Owning both the SubC and GMT. I do feel that my GMT LN is more comfortable on the wrist than the Sub. So if you wasn’t comfortable wearing your LN, it would be not a good idea to go with the SubC given your wrist size. Have you ever thought of the DJ36?
tle156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 02:04 AM   #49
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
Tried some stuff on today to try to help make my decision.

It did not help.

Try wearing them slightly higher up behind your wrist bone, and not right over it. You look to have a fairly flat, fat free wrist. The deeper case back of the Sub might actually be slightly more comfortable if you wear it snugly behind your wrist bone.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 02:29 AM   #50
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
GMT is the most comfortable watch I’ve owned, and I’ve had most of the Rolex sports range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 03:25 AM   #51
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
I've had a sub and a milgauss. I sold both because they wore wonky.

I finally settled on the GMT2.

The GMT has been the most comfortable watch for me, and even when I'm not wearing it, I find myself asking myself why.

The milgauss was the most uncomfortable out of the three. It felt too top heavy and uneven on my wrist.
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 04:31 AM   #52
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Try wearing them slightly higher up behind your wrist bone, and not right over it.
I was thinking that, too. I know something like that is personal preference, but wearing them so close to the hand makes them look bigger on the wrist. Also, the shirt cuffs in all the shots make it difficult to get an idea of just how the watches are fitting.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 04:41 AM   #53
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
I have very small wrists too and my old Oyster Perpetual Date in 36mm fits quite nicely. Almost like it was custom made to fit me.

I also have the new Explorer - a good fit at 39mm (not bulky).

At my AD I recently tried on an Oyster Perpetual in 39mm white dial. Great fit too, unlike the bulkier GMT and Sub.

36mm to 39mm Oyster Perpetual should be perfect for you, and they are very classy too.

My most recent item is a year 2000 5-Digit Sub and it fits "OK" but just barely. Not nearly as comfortable for me for all day wear.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 12:32 PM   #54
dogfood1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHB View Post
I had a SubC that I wore for a year. I found it overkill in many respects on my 7" wrist. Felt like the watch wore me.

I've tried on the GMT and it does feel better, as if it sits flatter on my wrist.

I opted for the Explorer in the end. It is more comfortable than either the sub or gmt.
This!

I did the exact same thing with the GMTc. It was a great watch but just too bulky. Bought a mkii Explorer 1 and the size is perfect. Feels just like my 5513.
dogfood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 02:38 AM   #55
LesserBlackDog
"TRF" Member

So after exploring various options I think I've decided I will go ahead and buy the Sub.

Here's my rationale/justification ():
  • The Sub is the watch that got me interested in Rolex and in luxury watches in the first place. The reason for that is simple - my true "grail watch" is the 5513 owned by my dad and worn by him since the 1970s when he started his career as a USMC infantry officer. The watch has lost all its collectible value since it's been totally redone by RSC (new dial, new hands, etc) but it is the only thing I care about someday inheriting from my dad.
  • I want a new Sub versus an older pre-supercase model because I want something I can own and make mine, and the overall feeling of quality and precision in Rolex's modern lineup is something that cannot be beat.
  • Although the Sub is a thicker watch than the GMT, I think it may actually be easier to find a good fit with the glidelock system versus the microadjusts of the GMT bracelet.
  • Based on my research, it looks like a new Sub will actually likely be easier and faster for me to acquire at MSRP than a BB58.
  • I am somewhat overstating the discomfort of my old GMT. It was okay, just too heavy to wear as an everyday watch. When an opportunity came up to flip it and grab something else, it was an easy decision to make since I wasn't wearing it as an everyday watch as I had intended when I purchased it. I still ended up owning it and wearing it semi-regularly for 3 years. Now, I've already got my OP as an everyday watch so I don't want or need the Sub to fill that niche.
  • If I do end up disliking the Sub, I can easily sell it and recoup most or all of what I put into it. The BB58 will still be around if I sell the Sub and decide to try the BB58.
  • Because of my sentimental connection to the Sub, odds are good that if I didn't buy one now, I would still have a lingering curiosity and desire to pick one up eventually that would not be satisfied by the BB58 or anything else. So I might as well grab one and figure out now whether it's something that will work for me before the next price hike.
Old 20 December 2018, 03:20 AM   #56
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
I have both, and if you didn't like the GMT, you won't like the Sub. GMT is thinner and more comfortable, although I personally find both to be comfortable.
Agreed, if didn’t find the GMT comfortable you most likely will experience less comfort with the sub.
SFBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 03:24 AM   #57
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
So after exploring various options I think I've decided I will go ahead and buy the Sub.

Here's my rationale/justification ():
  • The Sub is the watch that got me interested in Rolex and in luxury watches in the first place. The reason for that is simple - my true "grail watch" is the 5513 owned by my dad and worn by him since the 1970s when he started his career as a USMC infantry officer. The watch has lost all its collectible value since it's been totally redone by RSC (new dial, new hands, etc) but it is the only thing I care about someday inheriting from my dad.
  • I want a new Sub versus an older pre-supercase model because I want something I can own and make mine, and the overall feeling of quality and precision in Rolex's modern lineup is something that cannot be beat.
  • Although the Sub is a thicker watch than the GMT, I think it may actually be easier to find a good fit with the glidelock system versus the microadjusts of the GMT bracelet.
  • Based on my research, it looks like a new Sub will actually likely be easier and faster for me to acquire at MSRP than a BB58.
  • I am somewhat overstating the discomfort of my old GMT. It was okay, just too heavy to wear as an everyday watch. When an opportunity came up to flip it and grab something else, it was an easy decision to make since I wasn't wearing it as an everyday watch as I had intended when I purchased it. I still ended up owning it and wearing it semi-regularly for 3 years. Now, I've already got my OP as an everyday watch so I don't want or need the Sub to fill that niche.
  • If I do end up disliking the Sub, I can easily sell it and recoup most or all of what I put into it. The BB58 will still be around if I sell the Sub and decide to try the BB58.
  • Because of my sentimental connection to the Sub, odds are good that if I didn't buy one now, I would still have a lingering curiosity and desire to pick one up eventually that would not be satisfied by the BB58 or anything else. So I might as well grab one and figure out now whether it's something that will work for me before the next price hike.
The sub is definitely heavier than the GMT. Why don’t you go try one on. Do any ADs near you have a used subc? Or perhaps the sales team has a subc themselves. The subc definitely has a bigger feel than the GMT.
SFBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 03:29 AM   #58
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
IMHO the GMTc wears more comfy.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 04:18 AM   #59
River
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
Owing both, I have the opposite experience. My BLNR is more comfortable to me due to trimmer lugs and less thick case back. Just shows it is quite subjective between people though.
I was thinking the same thing when reading the original quote. Really wish my 114060 had the GMTc case.
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 05:04 AM   #60
mas12
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I think the difference is quite negligible. I was between a BLNR and SubC and opted for the SubC. I have a 6.5"-6.75" wrist. I was concerned about the fatter caseback of the SubC BUT the GMT actually is a thicker watch. So, while the SubC has a thicker case back, the case itself is slightly thinner than the GMT.

Overall, the wear is so similar that you won't notice a difference.

Since you already decided on the SubC, will be interesting to see your thoughts because I agree with others that if you felt the GMT was too big than the SubC will be as well. However the lack of PCLs and amazing glidelock will make up for it (hopefully).

Good luck and looking forward to your incoming!

Rolex SubC 116610LN
mas12 is offline   Reply With Quote