The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 September 2016, 11:39 AM   #1
mds730
"TRF" Member

Service question

As you guys are the experts with Patek watches, I wanted to ask a question regarding service intervals. I am seriously considering a 5146 from a TRF trusted seller that appears to be about 5 years old per the authenticity papers. I really don't want to turn right around and send it in for service just after I get it. From what I read, Patek suggests service every 3 to 5 years or the watch can require substantial maintenance if it is not done.

Do you guys have any experience with this time table. If the watch is in excellent condition, as described, would it be ok to wait a year or so and then send it in. I hate to purchase a watch I've wanted for much of my adult life just to turn around and send it off for six months or longer. Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
mds730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2016, 12:28 PM   #2
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
If it is running great, I would not service it. They do recommend 3 - 5 year intervals, but would wait until it seemed to have some minor issues. I may not have mine serviced till much longer than 5 years.
Old 22 September 2016, 12:33 PM   #3
kunlun
"TRF" Member

As a watchmaker who handles PP and other high end watches with great skill told me: "If it ain't broke...don't fix it."
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2016, 04:07 PM   #4
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Service question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
As a watchmaker who handles PP and other high end watches with great skill told me: "If it ain't broke...don't fix it."

My watchmaker who is the head of the local RSC replied to that as the dumbest thing an owner can do.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2016, 07:21 PM   #5
PJ S
Banned

The watch may be 5 years old, but the wear on the parts may constitute less than a year’s worth of daily wearing.
Like every manufacturer, Patek is recommending a timeframe based on daily usage rather than occasional, and given the synthetic oils and grease now used, 5 years is nothing.

On that basis, even if you only wear it 2-3 times a week, you’ll be fine to leave it for another 3 years, at least.
Easiest thing you can do is check timekeeping (slightly more tricky with Pateks given the lack of seconds hacking!) and test the power reserve to monitor any change in performance.
I suspect you’ll find the numbers stay consistent during that period, so a service may really be a peace of mind thing for you, rather than actually required.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2016, 08:37 PM   #6
mds730
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the information. I certainly feel much more at ease about the purchase after reading these.
Thank you.
Old 22 September 2016, 11:40 PM   #7
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
My watchmaker who is the head of the local RSC replied to that as the dumbest thing an owner can do.
This debate again
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2016, 11:43 PM   #8
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
is not a deal breaker, if runs well i don't see the problem. You can have a brand new watch and have issues, you know?. But its also true that you shop around and find another one that is newer, the price won't be too much different , believe me it won't

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2016, 10:14 AM   #9
Moloch
"TRF" Member

Waiting a year or two won't be a problem. I would be worried if you waited more than that. But make sure to check the water resistance every year. Humidity of Houston aren't good for watches :)
Moloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2016, 02:21 PM   #10
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Bizarrely an older watch may have a more reliable movement. Get it.
Old 24 September 2016, 04:15 AM   #11
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
is not a deal breaker, if runs well i don't see the problem. You can have a brand new watch and have issues, you know?. But its also true that you shop around and find another one that is newer, the price won't be too much different , believe me it won't
I agree, I think for a few hundred more you can have one which is 1-2 years, I would try to go for that, getting a watch which is 5 years old sure if the price reflects it, on 5711's the difference isn't worth it, better get as new as possible
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2016, 04:25 AM   #12
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Bizarrely an older watch may have a more reliable movement. Get it.
I kind of agree with this. Will still need service though.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2016, 05:51 AM   #13
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Let the next gen worry about the wait times.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2016, 09:39 AM   #14
mds730
"TRF" Member

I like the next generation response. Goes well with Patek ads and saves me a bunch of money. I've looked a lot and have not found anything close to this in price. I really appreciate all the responses. If I have not waited too long, I think I'm ready to get the deal done. I feel comfortable with all your responses. Thank you.
Old 24 September 2016, 05:22 PM   #15
waspy1
Banned

I'm usually pretty relaxed about service intervals but I've just had fogging on the crystal of my 3.5 year old 5711. This could cost a fortune if the movement, hands and dial are damaged. At least a service will renew gaskets which have aged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2016, 07:14 PM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex suggests every 10 years, yet have to agree the newer Patek Philippe mechanical timepieces seem to be less reliable than the older models.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote