The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 12 January 2012, 09:52 PM   #1
sunshine9393
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are NICE!
Thoughts on Omega Caliber 3603 Movement

Hello,

I'm considering an Omega Aqua Terra Chronograph GMT with the 3603 movement. I like how this movement has the 3 sub-dials as opposed to the 2 sub-dials of the new 9300/9301 movements (if and when they come to this particular watch). From what I hear, the new movements based on the caliber 8500 are a lot better then the old Omega movements, being completely in-house etc. However, I really like the look of the older version with 3 sub-dials.

Any thoughts on whether the old 3603 movement is any good? Or should I wait to see how the new Aqua Terra Chronograph GMT will look, when it comes out?

Thanks a lot.
sunshine9393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2012, 11:47 PM   #2
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

It's an evolution of the cal. 3313, which has had well documented reliability problems earlier on in its life. However, more recently, these problems seem to have been resolved, and, in the worst case scenario, you have a three year warranty to fall back on.

It is quite an uncommon movement in the Omega range, only being used on the Broad Arrow GMT and De Ville Chronoscope GMT, neither of which are particularly well known, so you will be getting a niche product with a lot of value for money. The looks of the watch are pretty striking as well, although you do need big wrists to pull it off - on my wrists, the watch was too big for me to handle.

There is a Chrono GMT movement based on the cal. 9300 slated in the future, but when this will appear is unclear as of yet. It might come out at this year's Baselworld show, it might not, and even then, Omega may choose not to use it in the Aqua Terra immediately. The current Aqua Terra Chrono without the GMT function is still utilising the cal. 3313, so I can't see them overhauling these models in the immediate future.

My advice is if you like the watch how it is now, then go for it. It will be a robust and striking addition to any collection, and the number of features you get on it for the money is quite simply staggering

Hope this helps,

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2012, 11:28 AM   #3
sunshine9393
"TRF" Member

Thanks, GMT Master, that's some great info.
From which year onwards would you say that the 3603 movement issues appear to have resolved? I'm currently planning on buying new, but if a good deal on a pre-owned happens to pop up, I would seriously consider also.
Cheers.
Old 13 January 2012, 11:36 PM   #4
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine9393 View Post
Thanks, GMT Master, that's some great info.
From which year onwards would you say that the 3603 movement issues appear to have resolved? I'm currently planning on buying new, but if a good deal on a pre-owned happens to pop up, I would seriously consider also.
Cheers.
Certainly the 3313 problems occurred early on in its product cycle, and the Aqua Terra Chrono GMT was only launched a couple of years ago, the movements used in it will be fine
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2012, 07:13 AM   #5
sunshine9393
"TRF" Member

That's reassuring to know! Would be a real shame if the watch had a dodgy movement as it's a really good looking piece. Thanks for your help.
Old 28 January 2012, 05:45 PM   #6
sunshine9393
"TRF" Member

Well, here it is, arrived Friday. Excuse the poor iPhone photography.
Very happy with it and love the white dial and the blue lume. :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (239.9 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (231.6 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (220.8 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (257.8 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (140.2 KB, 274 views)
Old 28 January 2012, 05:48 PM   #7
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
Sick, I love that watch