The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 August 2021, 08:55 AM   #31
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I agree with the gist of your post - but I’d suggest the Daytona is not worth the MSRP.

This for less than $10K serves just as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is a beautiful watch and I’ve been looking at them recently. However, I have had my white dial Daytona since new for 15 years so I don’t mind branching out. If I didn’t have a Daytona and wanted one, I think I would have a different perspective. No question of value on what you get. Zenith is very well put together but I doubt this piece will ever approach the following that Rolex and Daytona have.
Turbo Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 09:10 AM   #32
MJZRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
everyone knows its going to be $100,000 in the grey market soon
No way.
MJZRolex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 09:49 AM   #33
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
I agree. I don’t quite get why they ruined the dial with this rainbow color scheme. A Panda dial version would be more appropriate and appealing
^^^^^

Me too. If a panda dial I’d be interested
Old 7 August 2021, 10:11 AM   #34
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Love the Panda Omega! This one ain't too shabby either jmho.

OP, plenty of great Chronos out there

Speedmaster-Moonwatch-Wrist.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 10:13 AM   #35
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with the gist of your post - but I’d suggest the Daytona is not worth the MSRP.

Def off topic but I’d take this over Daytona (at retail) all day. This will be in the collection eventually. Debating reverse panda vs. tri-color but one way or another… in love.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 10:56 AM   #36
Madman37
"TRF" Member

It will be going down!!! So many on Chrono that can’t sell. Watch the price burn will never reach a 100k although the black Daytona is a beautiful watch. Much nicer than the Zenith.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 01:11 PM   #37
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
I don't know, OP, how are the other Rolex watches doing? Have they stabilized too? And how did the summer months do for watch sales in past years? Are they considered slow months compared to, say, Nov-Dec or pre-Watches & Wonders speculation craze?

Maybe now is a good time to pick one up... before the summer ends.

If you want a Daytona, look at how much you can afford to lose if the prices do go down. If you can absorb a $5,000 loss, for example, then I'd say pull the trigger. The odds of the Daytona losing $5K in value -- long term -- are slim. The odds of it climbing are historically greater.
Old 7 August 2021, 01:14 PM   #38
poliwog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstore View Post
The 116500 prices keep pulling up the 116520 prices with it. Equal number of pieces for sale out there, more or less.

Some prefer the Steel to the plastic looking ceramic. So I suspect eventually the out of production 116520 will be equal or greater in price than the still in production 116500.
Totally agree with this. Can't wait to see the steel bezel daytona overtake the plastic looking ceramic one day.
poliwog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 05:20 AM   #39
Bigkev999
"TRF" Member

I think if they correct a little it will o LTC be by 10% or so can’t see them pulling right back, people just using them as a saving account at the moment once we’re through this mess people will want capital back and they might correct again !
Bigkev999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 01:37 PM   #40
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
This is a game and has nothing really to do with the watch itself. The watch is a anonymous player that could easily be substituted by a sneaker, car, or handbag. The incident SS Daytona is just a great $14k watch that was chosen to be a chess piece in a game of collection by those that want to flex their wallet. These few Rolex models like the blue face SkyDweller, BLRO, etc.. are pieces on the board and is why the term "rare" "exclusive" and "hard to get" is more important in this game than the actual watch. Next roll of the 12 sided dice might be a GT3 or what ever the way the vapid wind blows
Wow, what u said is so true. The price of used porsches are climbing up here.
Inflation (real one, not the govt number) is very bad everywhere.
Anything under the sky should go up
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 04:34 AM   #41
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
This is a game and has nothing really to do with the watch itself. The watch is a anonymous player that could easily be substituted by a sneaker, car, or handbag. The incident SS Daytona is just a great $14k watch that was chosen to be a chess piece in a game of collection by those that want to flex their wallet. These few Rolex models like the blue face SkyDweller, BLRO, etc.. are pieces on the board and is why the term "rare" "exclusive" and "hard to get" is more important in this game than the actual watch. Next roll of the 12 sided dice might be a GT3 or what ever the way the vapid wind blows
Interesting and valid viewpoint.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 07:08 AM   #42
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Will be at 50K by the end this holiday season! You heard it first!
Old 9 August 2021, 07:20 AM   #43
1665fan
"TRF" Member

116520 cream has already taken over the ceramic 500….soon the nice 116520s will be worth more than the 500
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 07:46 AM   #44
grimps
"TRF" Member

I saw one advertised for £32000 today , for that price I’d take a white gold Daytona on an Oysterflex rather than the steel version
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 08:46 AM   #45
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman37 View Post
It will be going down!!! So many on Chrono that can’t sell. Watch the price burn will never reach a 100k although the black Daytona is a beautiful watch. Much nicer than the Zenith.
Prices could come down, but I wouldn’t bet on a major drop. The Daytona has long been the hardest steel Rolex to find at retail, and that hasn’t changed. If the price of the Daytona plummets, you can rest assured that prices on BLROs, BLNRs. LV subs, LN subs, etc. will have plummeted long before.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 10:31 AM   #46
moting
"TRF" Member

Watch: addict
Keep in mind that many Chrono24 listings are fake listing (many with stock and not real pics). Some dealers will only source the watch after someone make a purchase.
moting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 11:23 AM   #47
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brny11 View Post
Def off topic but I’d take this over Daytona (at retail) all day. This will be in the collection eventually. Debating reverse panda vs. tri-color but one way or another… in love.
Agree.. I’ve always wanted one but never pulled the trigger. Price keeps creeping up and lately they’re doing a few different editions (careful there don’t wanna become omega). Zenith haven’t managed to do what Rolex does, creating this FOMO. There’s always one available… at a discount. People only want what they can’t have, it’s dumb but human.

To people who say ‘mehhh, what’s that rainbow’ go and read on zenith history. Much more interesting than the Rolex history in all fairness.
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 11:51 AM   #48
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
^^^^^

Me too. If a panda dial I’d be interested

Well, they have a version with reverse panda dial and color-matched date wheel.

vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 12:06 PM   #49
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Well, they have a version with reverse panda dial and color-matched date wheel.

Wow. Way, WAY better looking to me.

And a 4 o’clock date window that fades into the dial is the next best thing to not being there at all.
Old 9 August 2021, 12:12 PM   #50
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What makes the Daytona worth 14k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 12:18 PM   #51
IR201
"TRF" Member

I mean honestly you guys have been predicting the grey prices to come down on Rolex models forever. I’m sure eventually you’ll be right. But do you really think it’ll just be some random fluctuation? Something major needs to happen. The overall economic market needs to be torpedoed by something or Rolex needs to majorly up supply or something. If the former I’d imagine the guy buying a Daytona at 35 that goes down to 15 has much bigger problems.

Old 9 August 2021, 12:29 PM   #52
greggywatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
I mean honestly you guys have been predicting the grey prices to come down on Rolex models forever. I’m sure eventually you’ll be right. But do you really think it’ll just be some random fluctuation? Something major needs to happen. The overall economic market needs to be torpedoed by something or Rolex needs to majorly up supply or something. If the former I’d imagine the guy buying a Daytona at 35 that goes down to 15 has much bigger problems.

I mean just watching available now and new ceramic Daytonas on Chrono23 there has been about a 3-4k drop. Black dials were at 36 and the lowest mint one is now 31k. I wouldn’t even buy one at retail, so no horse in this race, but I really think something is already happening.
greggywatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 12:40 PM   #53
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggywatchguy View Post
I mean just watching available now and new ceramic Daytonas on Chrono23 there has been about a 3-4k drop. Black dials were at 36 and the lowest mint one is now 31k. I wouldn’t even buy one at retail, so no horse in this race, but I really think something is already happening.

Interesting, I wonder to what degree Daytonas are representative of the overall watch market or even economic market. Would be wild if a stealthy decline in Daytona pricing is predictive of a broader economic downturn.

Old 9 August 2021, 12:47 PM   #54
greggywatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Interesting, I wonder to what degree Daytonas are representative of the overall watch market or even economic market. Would be wild if a stealthy decline in Daytona pricing is predictive of a broader economic downturn.

Hmm...interesting.
greggywatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 08:24 PM   #55
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Quote:
To see where prices are going, one just needs to look at the direction of 16520 prices lately.

Totally agree with both of your posts mate!
Old 9 August 2021, 08:57 PM   #56
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
To see where prices are going, one just needs to look at the direction of 16520 prices lately.

Yep. Rolex modified the stock movement a ton. 50% of the parts were swapped. Ample info found here & google.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 09:12 PM   #57
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Stabilized, well until someone had that urge to feel special so that they can post to the instabook and they have to pay 45k for a 13k watch to feel special about a chrono that is quite insignificant-though no one on the instabooks knows that really and who cares because it has the crown on top.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 09:14 PM   #58
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

This does not just serve as well, historically it’s the more significant and important watch. There is only one thing it lacks in and that’s hype-not a bad thing from my perspective.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 09:45 PM   #59
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Many watch prices fluctuate during the course of the year. The pricing on the SS Daytona-C will move in both directions 5-10% but the march up has been consistent. I have been reading Daytona-C reports like this since the Grey prices were in the upper teens. There maybe 600 on Chrono24 but only 152 in the US as of this morning and I would wager that at least a third of the listing are from sources that do not have the watch. Which makes the numbers a little different. Always the same rhetoric, over priced, not worth it, better watches available from Omega/Zenith, etc. Yet it still moves up. In a conversation with a major Grey Dealer he told me that prices start to surge in late fall and go all the way through the holidays. After the holidays there is a pause until spring and off to races again. New releases also push other models up as there is more interest. In speaking with a different knowledgeable collector and seller he thinks that the Daytona has room for growth and will top just shy of 50k for a NIB model with the white dial this year. Who knows? It appears that very few things ever get cheaper and until the availability situation with Rolex and the AD's is rectified there will be a significant Grey Market at high prices.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 09:51 PM   #60
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtguy View Post
I see that the proce for the Daytona has stabilized.

Dsw has a white for close to 40k.

Have we reached the peqk in grey prices or is there room to go up?
Exactly!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote