The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 August 2021, 07:26 PM   #31
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

The Submariner is such a classic. You could always buy the Sub now and pick up a Tudor later down the line. Who knows, there may be a new Tudor out in the next year or two that really grabs you.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 07:27 PM   #32
KeobNepo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Agree with the majority; always buy what you want, not what you can get. Be patient and get from AD. It may take a while but will be worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KeobNepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 10:18 PM   #33
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
You have the funds, you want the watch, go buy it.

That last bit maybe where you hit a brick wall, availability from the AD, unless of course you are willing to go to the grey market.

Just for point of reference, the Seamaster is a damn fine watch, totally comparable to the Rolex in ability, you would be owning a watch that will last a lifetime, it just lacks the cachet that the Submariner has.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 10:28 PM   #34
PepsiBezel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
I remember a comment from my grandparents… it’s better to have one very nice thing.

Get the Submariner — it’s a great, if not perfect, watch. The variety may come in time, over several years. There is no need to have variety all at once.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 10:33 PM   #35
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I would wait & get the Sub41, I went thru several omegas in the past 2 years and the BB58 but all were sold to make room for the new Sub when I got the unexpected call. If anything pick up a speedy to tide you over.
Old 8 August 2021, 10:34 PM   #36
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I'd want the Sub as a one and only / go all / do all.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 10:41 PM   #37
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
You want the sub so nothing else will win, however play the game. Build a relationship with an AD by buying one of the other watches you like from them for now. Keep in touch and wait patiently. Your time will come sooner than you think and in the meantime you’ll have a nice watch to wear.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 10:48 PM   #38
Brny11
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t personally pay over MSRP for a Sub. Until 2016, you could easily have have a Sub for literally 20-30% under retail. It is an amazing watch, but it is not rare. Times have changed and I am stuck in my old way of thinking. Nonetheless, it is a <=9k watch for me. Nothing more.

That said, if I wanted a sub, having 50 less expensive watches would not scratch the itch.

Having one watch is okay. Maybe not by watch forum standards. But disconnect yourself from the internet and if you are comfortable paying for the sub, and want it enough, 100% go for it.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 10:51 PM   #39
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Don’t settle with anything in life! Buy nice or buy twice as they say.
Well said
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 11:00 PM   #40
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Buy whichever Omega you like best now - I suggest the SMP 300M. Buy it used to keep the cost down. Get on the list for a Sub. When that Sub comes in Buy it a MSRP and sell the SMP. Everyone wins. The SMP is a fantastic watch and should keep you satisfied while waiting on the Sub.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 12:23 AM   #41
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

Tomorrow I will contact a few AD in Europe and check if I can buy an Omega + put a pre-payment and put myself on a waiting list for a Sub. Maybe someone can advise some good EU AD that might be helpful ? We don't have any AD in Baltics so I will have to call or send an email. I guess calling is better.

I would appreciate of any advice or name or whatever that I can contact in EU.

Thank you for all replies.
nice2cu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 03:13 AM   #42
GRabens
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many Rolex!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
If what you really want is a Rolex Sub, nothing else will satisfy. Best wishes
Agree!
GRabens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 03:16 AM   #43
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Go with a Sub…why settle if that’s what you really want.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 03:19 AM   #44
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoRoRo View Post
Never regretted a Rolex. And a Tudor won’t nearly scratch that itch. Say what you like and I love Tudor as a stand alone, but it’s not Rolex and isn’t trying to be.

Rolex Rolex Rolex
I agree that, if you want a Sub, you probably need to scratch that itch, or you'll always wonder. That being said, it depends what you're into. My first four nice watches were Rolex, including a Sub, but I sold them all and generally prefer Tudor.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 03:30 AM   #45
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The "buying a watch just for now" will normally cost you more $$$ if you are ever going to sell it so make sure you really plan to keep it.

Problem with buying a Omega (and I have owned many and love the movements). Omega models take a beating if you ever try trading them in. Some dealers dont even want to trade a Omega in toward a Rolex so know this going in. A excellent shape used $8k Omega msrp will trade in at about $4k in the real world. You would always be better served buying the Rolex first of that is your passion then a Omega if it still appeals to you. Omega is a watch you always buy pre owned after it took its huge hit. Then you will wear it almost for free as long as you want.
Old 9 August 2021, 04:16 AM   #46
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringhio View Post
Best solution, since it seems you are interested in other references as well:
Go to an AD that has Rolex and Omega.
Get a beautiful Speedy, that is a must in every collection.
Tell the associate you also want a diver, and that the iconic sub would be perfect.
If they like You and you are perceived as a good costumer you will get the allocation.

In the end you will have two evergreens, you’ll get your sub at retail, and you’ll build a relation with the AD.
It’s a win win

This is worth a shot.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 04:39 AM   #47
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
We see threads like this all the time. Buy what you really want. It's cheaper in the end. I am a big Omega fan but it's not going to replace a Rolex Sub if that's what you want. The new Sub is the top of the family tree. Play the lottery through your AD or pony up market value. It's that simple.
Very well said
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 04:48 AM   #48
Greenwood_
"TRF" Member

I've been in a similar situation and found - as others here mention - substitutions don't work, no matter how you might try to rationalise it to yourself.

At best they buy you a few weeks of distraction, and then you're back to lusting after the watch you really want.
Greenwood_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 04:53 AM   #49
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Less is more.

Submariner an absolute titan. Can't go wrong with that icon.

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 06:26 PM   #50
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Submariner. You can have all the color and variety you want but you won’t have a Submariner. Variety only works when you are varying between things you want ie a Submariner with something else. I could have four cars Accord, Mustang, Camry and some crossover SUV. Having all of those to me doesn’t compare to having one AMG C63s.

I would get the Sub. You’re gonna buy several watches then want to sell them later for a Submariner and you won’t get nearly what you paid for those.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 08:29 PM   #51
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

I have called 7 ADs in Europe and i've been told that I can forget about steel Submariner. I can put myself on a waitlist for a Steel/Gold Black submariner and retail is 13900 EUR.

This is so stupid as I don't really like a bicolor Submariner however it is only 900 EUR more if I compare the price to a grey market submariner price ( 13000 EUR ).

Now I am even more confused.
Old 9 August 2021, 09:18 PM   #52
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Why do you want a sub? Seriously? How much is the hype factor? If this is a watch you have wanted for a long time then nothing will substitute for that. Now, if you are like me a watch guy, and not simply a Rolex guy, then you will get wear and appreciation out of the other watches you mention. It does not have to be either or. You can get the watches you mention now and pick up the sub down the line. One does not have to slap a complete collection together on one purchase. I have spent 35 years adding and paring down. It’s a journey, have fun.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 09:23 PM   #53
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice2cu2 View Post
Guys,

I am facing a first world dilemma here

I really like the Rolex Submariner 41mm however my mind can not justify 12-13k EUR. Or can it ?

To be honest I do have this budget and that is what I want to spend. Not more than 13k EUR.

On one hand I have a legend a Rolex Submariner however on the other hand I can afford to buy an Omega SMP 300 and Moonwatch Professional Sapphire Sandwich + Tudor BB or even Pelagos to add some color options.

Has anyone faced a dilemma like this ? Did you regret just not getting a Rolex instead of other watches you own ?

Thank you in advance.
Save time and money, get the SUB. That's my advise to you.
On a different note, why 13k EUR? the watch is cheaper than that or are you buying grey? If so, put your faith at a couple of good ADs and wait a bit until it happens.
Old 9 August 2021, 09:35 PM   #54
Jonnewbank
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610lv, 124060,
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice2cu2 View Post
I have called 7 ADs in Europe and i've been told that I can forget about steel Submariner. I can put myself on a waitlist for a Steel/Gold Black submariner and retail is 13900 EUR.

This is so stupid as I don't really like a bicolor Submariner however it is only 900 EUR more if I compare the price to a grey market submariner price ( 13000 EUR ).

Now I am even more confused.

Try and buy a datejust for now, simple black one, then ask to be on the list. When your sun comes in sell your datejust. That’s the best idea. Or maybe even an air king. Even if you have to wait for your sub and you lose £500 on your airking it’s still cheaper by a mile than grey price

Jonnewbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 09:42 PM   #55
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
Save time and money, get the SUB. That's my advise to you.
On a different note, why 13k EUR? the watch is cheaper than that or are you buying grey? If so, put your faith at a couple of good ADs and wait a bit until it happens.
Rori,

I have called 7 Ads now and they all laughing. I am not able to put my name on a wait list for a Sub. So for me it is 13k or no Sub basically.
Old 9 August 2021, 09:51 PM   #56
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnewbank View Post
Try and buy a datejust for now, simple black one, then ask to be on the list. When your sun comes in sell your datejust. That’s the best idea. Or maybe even an air king. Even if you have to wait for your sub and you lose £500 on your airking it’s still cheaper by a mile than grey price

I have tried to buy Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch for 7k and put myself on a waitlist. Everywhere I've been told that ii can get Omega no problem however Submariner waitlist is closed. I can only put myself on a Steel/Gold Black Submariner waitlist up to 8 month wait.
Old 9 August 2021, 10:07 PM   #57
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I spent years and thousands trying Sub LV alternatives. I had some nice watches. But what I didn't have is what I wanted all along. So I bought the 116610LV and have not looked back or regretted it for a moment. I paid a bit over MSRP and about half of what they are now advertised for.

Sometimes the "it's only a watch, get over it" argument just doesn't cut it. But for me it has done more times than not. The Hulk is one of two rare exceptions to my self imposed rule.

I have no idea how this swings for you. Only you can decide. Whatever you do, it sounds like you're going to end up with one or more very nice watches.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 10:09 PM   #58
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I spent years and thousands trying Sub LV alternatives. I had some nice watches. But what I didn't have is what I wanted all along. So I bought the 116610LV and have not looked back or regretted it for a moment. I paid a bit over MSRP and about half of what they are now advertised for.

Sometimes the "it's only a watch, get over it" argument just doesn't cut it. But for me it has done more times than not. The Hulk is one of two rare exceptions to my self imposed rule.

I have no idea how this swings for you. Only you can decide. Whatever you do, it sounds like you're going to end up with one or more very nice watches.
I completely understand however paying 4-5k over retail for a steel Sub is ridiculous in my mind
Old 9 August 2021, 10:17 PM   #59
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
There is no substitute.
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 10:20 PM   #60
nice2cu2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajas View Post