The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 September 2021, 09:15 PM   #1
Patek_collector
"TRF" Member

F.P. Journe

it may look a weird post, but i am Patek guy with few Pateks which i posted about here...

I am starting to learn a bit about of F.P. Journey to understand why is this sudden craziness and i am starting to understand a bit of the uniqueness of this brand. i wont collect it, but i would think of owning one watch to have the feel.

of course, their boutiques have no watches. i am liking the Octa Automatique Lune AL Platinum which i found for around $64K.

anyone knows anything about this watch or the price that should be associated with?

thanks.
Patek_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 09:36 PM   #2
Hub6152
Banned

F.P. Journe

If you really want the true FPJ then it’s not automatic. He was reluctant to make automatics at all but bowed to the notion that consumers would want them. The simplest and least expensive of them that encompass all his ideals would be the Chronometrie Souverain series.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 11:46 PM   #3
Bosscheto
"TRF" Member

I live in Switzerland - the FPJ Boutique in Geneva has no watches - just cases with dials to exhibit the models. The official retailer in Lausanne has one watch - ladies Elegante with diamond bezel and the director is not selling it to have something on the window shop. Waiting lists on everything start at 2 years, and some of the models are out of reach. FPJ consider putting a limit of maximum 2 watches per collector a year, I am not sure if it is official.

He is a unique individual and hugely respected in the industry. I think the combination of Watchbox absorbing practically the entire secondary market in US, relatively small production - under 1k of Mechanical watches and even less of his special quartz movement + Covid fear of inflation + the massive success of CB made the entire Brand collectable. I am new in the watch world - 4-5 years, but when I speak with people working for years - they have never seen something like this.
Bosscheto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 12:34 AM   #4
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
If you really want the true FPJ then it’s not automatic. He was reluctant to make automatics at all but bowed to the notion that consumers would want them. The simplest and least expensive of them that encompass all his ideals would be the Chronometrie Souverain series.
Woe is me! I have a false FPJ - the Octa RDM. FPJ himself wore this model as his personal watch, and designed clocks for FPJ boutiques using the Octa RDM as the template.

https://moneyinc.com/10-finest-f-p-journe-watches-time/
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 01:05 AM   #5
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
Woe is me! I have a false FPJ - the Octa RDM. FPJ himself wore this model as his personal watch, and designed clocks for FPJ boutiques using the Octa RDM as the template.

Where did I use the word false? All I said was he didn’t really want to make an automatic watch but did so to give consumers more choice since it was thought that manual wind only narrowed the appeal when trying to establish a new brand. And when I met him he was wearing the horizontal tourbillon.
Old 9 September 2021, 01:08 AM   #6
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:

And isn’t that CS in the article the Rose gold version not platinum as stated? And where did that article even mention the 38mm brass movements? And the Centigraphe is #2 and the Resonance #3? C’mon Money Inc!!
Old 9 September 2021, 02:35 AM   #7
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

It’s great you are interested in FPJ, but should this thread really be in the Patek Philippe sub forum.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 02:47 AM   #8
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I have both Patek and FPJ, and have been enjoying both. And I agree that as a first piece, a Chronometre Souverain would be a better entry than the Octa series. Since a lot of the joy from the watch is the movement side and an automatic with the rotor kind of distract from it. In addition, the CS seems to be a simple time only watch but it is a lot more complicated than meet the eyes.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 02:58 AM   #9
flava_1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3800/1J
I can see an argument for a dedicated FPJourne forum as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flava_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 03:19 AM   #10
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Where did I use the word false? All I said was he didn’t really want to make an automatic watch but did so to give consumers more choice since it was thought that manual wind only narrowed the appeal when trying to establish a new brand. And when I met him he was wearing the horizontal tourbillon.
Calm down.
Old 9 September 2021, 03:23 AM   #11
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last one I bought
I spent a night at a boutique last night. The community around real Journe enthusiasts is really neat. It feels very different compared to most watch communities.

QuantumOceanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 05:10 AM   #12
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumOceanLawyer View Post
I spent a night at a boutique last night. The community around real Journe enthusiasts is really neat. It feels very different compared to most watch communities.
FPJ is not independent is it? I thought it had been bought by Chanel? They used to make 800 a year so the hype over the in demand blue face is creating demand far exceeding supply and has caught everyone’s attention. The FPJ community of actual as opposed to wannabe owners must be small!

I expect Chanel, with their marketing skills, will go for increased production and some what are currently akin to one-offs will crystallise into a fixed range. With small production runs the problem will be repairing older limited edition models with, effectively, unique mechanisms.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 05:17 AM   #13
flava_1
"TRF" Member

My understanding is that they remain independent and Chanel have commutes to that for the time being. Their stake is only 20% but affords lots of access to capital and other benefits.

Old 9 September 2021, 05:17 AM   #14
7sins
"TRF" Member

Got to try this beauty on (not mine) in the flesh recently. WHAT A WATCH! An incredible brand, hope to add one in the future.

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 05:22 AM   #15
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
FPJ is not independent is it? I thought it had been bought by Chanel? They used to make 800 a year so the hype over the in demand blue face is creating demand far exceeding supply and has caught everyone’s attention. The FPJ community of actual as opposed to wannabe owners must be small!

I expect Chanel, with their marketing skills, will go for increased production and some what are currently akin to one-offs will crystallise into a fixed range. With small production runs the problem will be repairing older limited edition models with, effectively, unique mechanisms.

Chanel has a minority stake in the company and supposed to be a passive investor to prevent other big watch groups to acquire the company once FP is no longer with the company.

The owner brothers are also Journe collectors and good friends of FP himself. There are a lot of articles on this investment to provide more insight to this deal. I read somewhere that there is no plan to increase production and the growth will come from increased ASP.
Old 9 September 2021, 05:27 AM   #16
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Got to try this beauty on (not mine) in the flesh recently. WHAT A WATCH! An incredible brand, hope to add one in the future.

This is gorgeous.
Old 9 September 2021, 05:38 AM   #17
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last one I bought
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Chanel has a minority stake in the company and supposed to be a passive investor to prevent other big watch groups to acquire the company once FP is no longer with the company.

The owner brothers are also Journe collectors and good friends of FP himself. There are a lot of articles on this investment to provide more insight to this deal. I read somewhere that there is no plan to increase production and the growth will come from increased ASP.

Yeah. I think they are really thinking about the future of the brand for collectors. They really care about them and keeping production where it is because they know they can assure the same quality and attention to detail.

QuantumOceanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 05:58 AM   #18
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek_collector View Post
it may look a weird post, but i am Patek guy with few Pateks which i posted about here...

I am starting to learn a bit about of F.P. Journey to understand why is this sudden craziness and i am starting to understand a bit of the uniqueness of this brand. i wont collect it, but i would think of owning one watch to have the feel.

of course, their boutiques have no watches. i am liking the Octa Automatique Lune AL Platinum which i found for around $64K.

anyone knows anything about this watch or the price that should be associated with?

thanks.

Would visit a local boutique often and get on the list. I don’t think there is a single watch they make that I don’t like. Participating in their events and getting them know the staff can only help- for example if someone drops off the list or turns down a watch- they may offer it to you.

I am a Patek collector that has also been bitten by the Journe bug. Here are two recent pics:

Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 06:33 AM   #19
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Would visit a local boutique often and get on the list. I don’t think there is a single watch they make that I don’t like. Participating in their events and getting them know the staff can only help- for example if someone drops off the list or turns down a watch- they may offer it to you.

I am a Patek collector that has also been bitten by the Journe bug. Here are two recent pics:

Agree that this is probably the best route to go and learn more about the brand before making a move. Going aftermarket may dilute your experience. And since the boutique is quite transparent and do not play games, you only need some patience and you should eventually get the piece you want.

BTW, maybe we should move this thread to the other sub forum as it seems like we have monogamous Patek fans here who take offense at discussing other brands. I thought only religion and politics are forbidden at the dining table but we should add watch collecting to the list too.
Old 9 September 2021, 06:46 AM   #20
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

I’m another Patek-partisan who’s dabbled in Journe. They’re outstanding watches and the ethos of the brand really does put the collector first. I’ll second or third the recommendation to spend a bit of time at the boutique and talk about the brand and watches with them.

vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 06:50 AM   #21
flava_1
"TRF" Member

As a noob, is it hard to get the moderators to creat a dedicated FPJ forum?

Old 9 September 2021, 07:07 AM   #22
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post
I’m another Patek-partisan who’s dabbled in Journe. They’re outstanding watches and the ethos of the brand really does put the collector first. I’ll second or third the recommendation to spend a bit of time at the boutique and talk about the brand and watches with them.
Lovely tick tockers as always boys!
Old 9 September 2021, 07:09 AM   #23
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
Lovely tick tockers as always boys!

Welcome to our side of the forums!
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 03:25 PM   #24
Lo100169
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Says who? you keep repeating the same, this is just your opinion.
Lo100169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 03:27 PM   #25
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo100169 View Post
Says who? you keep repeating the same, this is just your opinion.

It’s actually in writing in a biography of him but I can’t remember where I read it.
Old 9 September 2021, 07:02 PM   #26
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s actually in writing in a biography of him but I can’t remember where I read it.
If it's written down in a biography, it must be true.
Old 9 September 2021, 07:03 PM   #27
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
If it's written down in a biography, it must be true.

Whatever
Old 9 September 2021, 07:03 PM   #28
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Whatever
My point, exactly.
Old 9 September 2021, 10:18 PM   #29
kunlun
"TRF" Member

The nice thing about FPJ is that ALL FPJ watches have exactly the same amount of FPJ DNA. That's the whole point of the brand, it's François-Paul's all the way. One watchmaking genius gives the brand its vision.

And I like that he's got an eye to the future as well. Did you know FPJ has its own watchmaking school? It's true.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 10:18 PM   #30
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Here's Mr. Journe wearing his QP, an automatic watch, and a lovely one that's among the most wearable and legible QPs around:

kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote