The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 31 March 2020, 12:03 AM   #691
pdoherty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagwap View Post
To all of those triumphantly stating they are still going on their holidays: Think, carefully.
I live in China. Here they have broken the back of the outbreak by a combination severe lockdowns and the public following guidelines, yet thousands died. This is not the flu. This is worse than SARS (due to its higher contagion rate.)

Here it was easy in Shenzhen, outside the epicentre. Schools close, we worked from home and conference called, food was delivered. No-one stock piled toilet paper because we are not idiots. A small hardship to endure compared to 1 in 5 that needed it getting a respirator.

Please think before your ingrained need for personal freedom causes you to endanger strangers and loved ones.
I saw an article that suggested 21 MILLION cell phone plans have been closed in China. Considering they need their cell phones in order to show their green health status, this is kind of an ominous indicator of how many possibly are dead there - and how much the Chinese government may be hiding the number of dead.
Old 31 March 2020, 12:15 AM   #692
Hellrot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea D-Blue
Another expat reporting in from Japan. Grey prices are on a downward trajectory here. I sold my well worn 116710LN GMT to Jackroad March of last year and got about $10,000 USD. As of today, Jackroad is offering 724,000 JPY for the same watch, or $6,800 USD.

With the travel restrictions in place and the Tokyo Olympics delayed, I don't see the situation improve for grey dealers in the near future.
Old 31 March 2020, 12:39 AM   #693
Cool watch
Banned

Thanks for the uodate Hellrot.

Thats huge difference.

I'm guessing GM dealers in Japan were stocking up for the upcoming games.
Now that the event is postponed for a year, i doubt them buying anymore for a while.
Old 31 March 2020, 01:00 AM   #694
benouah
"TRF" Member

Reporting from HK:
Rolex ADs are pretty much open and operating normally but same song about ss models.
Greys are trying to dump the high value pieces and great deals to be done on precious metals with prices falling off the cliff.
Ss models are still “hot” with BLRO keeping value at grey.
BLNR jubilee which was going at grey back in mid feb at 13K$ is now 11.5K$
Predicting this will keep falling through April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 March 2020, 01:37 AM   #695
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by benouah View Post
Reporting from HK:
Rolex ADs are pretty much open and operating normally but same song about ss models.
Greys are trying to dump the high value pieces and great deals to be done on precious metals with prices falling off the cliff.
Ss models are still “hot” with BLRO keeping value at grey.
BLNR jubilee which was going at grey back in mid feb at 13K$ is now 11.5K$
Predicting this will keep falling through April.

The SS sport models wont be as difficult to get from AD in the next few months once the Rolex HQ opens back up and sends new supply. Reality hasn't hit the ADs just yet, but once the supply increases and demand drops due to job loss in the next few months it'l be a different story.
Old 31 March 2020, 02:07 AM   #696
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I heard someone say that Corona is like “watching a car crash happen, but you’re inside the car.” That’s exactly what it feels like here in London. ~300 deaths yesterday and we’re nowhere near the end, or even near the apex. With the delay, we are only now reaping the slow reaction a few weeks back, and instead of buying bulk ventilators with the EU, the government are trying to blow hard about Brexit by ordering untested clean-sheet designs instead from a Brexit-supporting company with no medical-equipment experience. My family and I went into lockdown early (18 days ago) so little to worry about, but when I walk the dogs at night all I can hear is the sound of sirens. It’s chilling.

Our press is a very dangerous joke. The Telegraph has called the lockdown ‘an assault on freedom’ (while the owners live on a private island in the channel) and the Daily Mail has been spreading the lie that Boris Johnson was infected by an EU diplomat. The FT meanwhile has freed its exceptional Corona coverage from the paywall, but I fear facts and expertise are too ‘dry’ for many of the fools on this island.

Economically - who knows? This is truly uncharted waters, and if anyone thinks we’re going back to the status-quo ante, they’re in for a rude awakening. There will be many many changes coming once this is past. I only hope we can create fairer more caring society from the ashes.

Stay safe everyone.
Totally agree.
Most of the press here, especially the right wingnut horror shows like the Daily Mail are truly pathetic.

As an aside, our Prime Minister Dominic Cummings, has contracted the virus.

Not surprising given he lives in Boris's rear end.

This will probably hit the UK economy for 10 years plus. What a time to be in power.
Old 31 March 2020, 05:40 AM   #697
watchspike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-London View Post
Totally agree.
Most of the press here, especially the right wingnut horror shows like the Daily Mail are truly pathetic.

As an aside, our Prime Minister Dominic Cummings, has contracted the virus.

Not surprising given he lives in Boris's rear end.

This will probably hit the UK economy for 10 years plus. What a time to be in power.
You just know that when the dust settles on this that the British public will lionise Boris as the man that got us out of it, when in fact he and his advisor Cummings instigated the "herd immunity" idea which in all likelihood has made the situation far worse then it needed to be.

I can imagine the conversation between them, and Cummings selling the idea that here was a great opportunity to cull the old and infirm so as to reduce the amount of people sucking from the teat of the welfare state. You know you're on a dark path when totalitarian states like China of all places are calling your strategy as inhumane!

It's probably only when the figures started coming though and the body bags were pilling up did they do an about turn for fear of a public revolt forcing them to resign! Already the politicians are lining up the straw men and scapegoats.

I'm hoping and can envisage after this pandemic is over that there will be a seismic shift in how governments view the welfare state, especially the NHS and healthcare providers. Rather then pump billions into funding military defence to wage wars against meek opposition, all in the name of power and influence, that money can now be spent on the real heroes fighting a war against an enemy that does not discriminate and cannot be bargained with like in most military wars.

After all, this virus doesn't care about your politics, race, religion or wealth. An enemy that most structures of power have no experience of dealing with.
Old 31 March 2020, 05:50 AM   #698
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosscheto View Post
Disagree with this. It is disgusting the racism all over the world against Asian people right now. The source of the virus though is proven that it is coming from wet markets, based on all the scientists I watched. It is an ugly propaganda war right now between US and China, and the people with China have nothing to do with this.

These markets exist because the CCP allows them to exist. I am afraid that just for propaganda sake the CCP will reopen them to proof its propaganda lies that COVID is an artificially created biological weapon made by US. The main problem is not Chinese ppl, Chinese culture or Chinese medicine, the main problem is dictatorships, propaganda and the CCP.

I hope we have a serious discussion about wet markets, and the role of WHO after this pandemic is over, and have measures and strategies for future pandemics.

But it is clear that the last 3 pandemics came from wet markets.
I agree with your comments condemning racist attitudes to Asian people, but take issue with your assertion that the Chinese people are not to blame. Admirably, this is what I have read in the media, but my understanding is that the Chinese authorities have tried to close the wet markets in the past, but the Chinese people are too wedded to them culturally

The stuff about the US and Chinese governments, propaganda and dictatorships is irrelevant
Old 31 March 2020, 09:30 AM   #699
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I am. Just bought a white gold Pepsi with Meterorite dial here in Dubai.
Old 31 March 2020, 10:15 AM   #700
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I would not pass up a steel daytona or pepsi at retail. Little to no downside and major upside when all the dust settles
Old 31 March 2020, 10:25 AM   #701
audipwr1
"TRF" Member

In this craziness - wake me up when Batman or Pepsi 80% of retail and you’ve got my attention - otherwise 28k into basically any market and you can get a handful of them in 4 years versus 2 now

These are all nice to have purchases noting haves
Old 31 March 2020, 08:00 PM   #702
geraldbnt
"TRF" Member

Good morning all

I intervene to explain that the situation in France is a little different.

to start the health system and totally different, to make it simple everyone can treat with or without money (this is one of the reasons why we are the most taxed country in the world ...) and the staff of health is totally dedicated.

even with that today we are faced with not having enough room for everyone.

Gray market prices here are not moving yet for two reasons I think

1) it has just started it must be allowed time, the French think that it is always stronger, it must be in the ropes to admit that it is affected.
for the moment most of the businesses live on current outstandings we have to wait for invoices for next month ...

2) the government here has set up an indemnity for the heads of companies for all the time that the confinement will last and supports up to 80% the wages of all the employees who can no longer work.
The survival of gray market resellers in France is therefore for the moment somewhat protected except, for those who need a lot of working capital.

Most gray dealers are not wealthy people.

we have to wait but if the containment lasts, prices will fall within a month or two first in Spain, Portugal, Italy and the US, then dpi which live thanks to the infusion of the State as in France, will have to follow the price drop if they want to sell.

In France people save a lot of money on their account, it's a different culture, the premium purchase for most people will no longer be watches I think with a few exceptions.

This is only a personal opinion

Thanks for reading me
Old 31 March 2020, 08:55 PM   #703
Bosscheto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
I agree with your comments condemning racist attitudes to Asian people, but take issue with your assertion that the Chinese people are not to blame. Admirably, this is what I have read in the media, but my understanding is that the Chinese authorities have tried to close the wet markets in the past, but the Chinese people are too wedded to them culturally

The stuff about the US and Chinese governments, propaganda and dictatorships is irrelevant
As someone who was born in Communism, and have in mind that the Bulgarian Communist party in the 80's had a significantly less control internally than the CCP right now, I respectfully disagree.

The communist party in China has absolutely no issues closing the wet markets bar corruption in itself. The exotic animals, from what I understand, are a status symbol for the upper middle class, and in some regions an employer to the lower middle class.

But may no mistake, the Party that brutally and effectively enforced one child policy for decades, would have zero issues closing the markets. The markets now are a propaganda tool, if they are reopen, it is a proof that the virus was not coming from them in the eyes of the party.

But when you put a glance of all the cultural changes that happened in China in the last 70 years, banning the trade of wild animals will be the least difficult.
Old 31 March 2020, 09:09 PM   #704
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As someone who was born in Communism, and have in mind that the Bulgarian Communist party in the 80's had a significantly less control internally than the CCP right now, I respectfully disagree.

The communist party in China has absolutely no issues closing the wet markets bar corruption in itself. The exotic animals, from what I understand, are a status symbol for the upper middle class, and in some regions an employer to the lower middle class.

But may no mistake, the Party that brutally and effectively enforced one child policy for decades, would have zero issues closing the markets. The markets now are a propaganda tool, if they are reopen, it is a proof that the virus was not coming from them in the eyes of the party.

But when you put a glance of all the cultural changes that happened in China in the last 70 years, banning the trade of wild animals will be the least difficult.
But it’s a little like banning the bells on cows in Switzerland - you could, but you’re picking a fight with the very basic values of every person in your country. With all its repression, the CCP has very clearly avoided an antagonistic altercation with the Han since 1989. This could potentially trigger one.

Perhaps it could be a slow process, but it will not happen overnight.
Old 31 March 2020, 10:29 PM   #705
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Congrats, that's truly an EPIC timepiece!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 31 March 2020, 10:33 PM   #706
gccmd
"TRF" Member

I’m an anesthesiologist. I have been hearing from colleagues in NYC how terrible being on the frontlines of the Coronavirus pandemic is. The same thing is probably going to happen in most major metropolitan areas. I’m more concerned about being able to work and survive this. I’m not buying any Rolex watches right now. I already have enough to bury with me
Old 31 March 2020, 10:37 PM   #707
DoctorSpazz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gccmd View Post
I’m an anesthesiologist. I have been hearing from colleagues in NYC how terrible being on the frontlines of the Coronavirus pandemic is. The same thing is probably going to happen in most major metropolitan areas. I’m more concerned about being able to work and survive this. I’m not buying any Rolex watches right now. I already have enough to bury with me

Strange flex....:

Old 31 March 2020, 10:44 PM   #708
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorSpazz View Post
Strange flex....:

Yea could have just stopped at anesthesiologist.....lol
Old 31 March 2020, 11:16 PM   #709
Sunstreaker
"TRF" Member

Bottom line is, whether you want to accept it or not, the world economy is going to tank. And as a result, the watch market in general (not just Rolex) will follow. Absolutely none of this should surprise anyone unless you're living under a rock and you should be prepared for that. If it doesn't tank, worst case, you've accumulated a small war chest that you can use to buy a Rolex. :)
Old 31 March 2020, 11:30 PM   #710
DGB
"TRF" Member

What happened to Rolex watches are good investments ?

Old 31 March 2020, 11:49 PM   #711
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

So I have read many of these posts/threads and I have come to a conclusion that is probably apparent to most but escapes a few. Everything else discussed becomes noise.

Buying an expensive watch right now is a bad idea for two reasons. 1) Even if you have the money, it may be cheaper in the coming months. The old cliche, "A fool and his money..." --or-- 2) Without knowing what the future holds after the pandemic, cash is better than a watch.

I get it though, people still buying figure they are financially secure and could care less if savings are around the corner or simply FOMO is kicking in early. I still hold on to the belief that as a watch buyer, waiting doesn't hurt you. Personally, I have savings and I have a watch fund. I consider both savings now and only to be touched in case of an emergency. Once this plays out, game on.

My .00002
Old 31 March 2020, 11:57 PM   #712
Bosscheto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
But it’s a little like banning the bells on cows in Switzerland - you could, but you’re picking a fight with the very basic values of every person in your country. With all its repression, the CCP has very clearly avoided an antagonistic altercation with the Han since 1989. This could potentially trigger one.

Perhaps it could be a slow process, but it will not happen overnight.
Respectfully disagree, if the CCP bans something - it is banned. This is the fundamental difference between an efficient totalitarian regime and any form of democracy. The Chinese authoritarian regime banned religion, is currently reforming 10% of its Muslim population (over 1000 000 in learning camps), so you think they cannot close the wet markets?

But if the CCP permanently bans this industry, it is an admission of guilt. This is the reason why it is not going to happen.
Old 31 March 2020, 11:57 PM   #713
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckobros View Post
So I have read many of these posts/threads and I have come to a conclusion that is probably apparent to most but escapes a few. Everything else discussed becomes noise.

Buying an expensive watch right now is a bad idea for two reasons. 1) Even if you have the money, it may be cheaper in the coming months. The old cliche, "A fool and his money..." --or-- 2) Without knowing what the future holds after the pandemic, cash is better than a watch.

I get it though, people still buying figure they are financially secure and could care less if savings are around the corner or simply FOMO is kicking in early. I still hold on to the belief that as a watch buyer, waiting doesn't hurt you. Personally, I have savings and I have a watch fund. I consider both savings now and only to be touched in case of an emergency. Once this plays out, game on.

My .00002
Your post gives great insight as to how an economy crashes.

People, “The future possibly doesn’t look that good and I think the economy might crash so I don’t think I will spend any money and see what happens“

Then the economy crashes

All we need is a simple majority of people to think that way and the economy crashing is a guaranteed thing.

I’m not really picking on you here because your thought process is only human nature but in the end we are going to do it to ourselves.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 1 April 2020, 12:00 AM   #714
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Your post gives great insight as to how an economy crashes.

People, “The future possibly doesn’t look that good and I think the economy might crash so I don’t think I will spend any money and see what happens“

Then the economy crashes

All we need is a simple majority of people to think that way and the economy crashing is a guaranteed thing.
No it doesn't, you made a huge jump to a conclusion. I am strictly talking about buying watches and expensive ones at that.
Old 1 April 2020, 12:00 AM   #715
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Congrats! I've seen more of these bought in the past two weeks than I have in the past year its been on sale.
Old 1 April 2020, 12:01 AM   #716
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Respectfully disagree, if the CCP bans something - it is banned. This is the fundamental difference between an efficient totalitarian regime and any form of democracy. The Chinese authoritarian regime banned religion, is currently reforming 10% of its Muslim population (over 1000 000 in learning camps), so you think they cannot close the wet markets?

But if the CCP permanently bans this industry, it is an admission of guilt. This is the reason why it is not going to happen.
I partly grew up in China as an ex-pat in the 80s. It isn’t a unitary homogenous entity. The persecuted groups are minorities on the fringes. Closing wet markets unilaterally would be opening a wound at the very heart of the country (ethnically and geographically).

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean it is expedient to do so. Wet markets are a case in point.
Old 1 April 2020, 12:19 AM   #717
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
No it doesn't, you made a huge jump to a conclusion. I am strictly talking about buying watches and expensive ones at that.
They are complete businesses and more importantly individuals that earn a living based on selling watches.

So I assume you would still have your bathroom remodeled? Perhaps buy a new television? Upgrade your laundry machine? How about some landscaping? All these things can be expensive. And all these things create income for people. When everyone pulls back just a little that’s exactly how an economy crashes.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 1 April 2020, 12:28 AM   #718
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
They are complete businesses and more importantly individuals that earn a living based on selling watches.
In times like these you need to prioritize.

I have two employees that need to pay their mortgage, car payments, groceries, etc. Their continued income is more important to me than a new watch.

Old 1 April 2020, 12:48 AM   #719
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:

My .00002
This is where I am at. I picked up a Kermit and a 15202 at what I considered fire sale prices over the last few weeks, and was considering buying more. After reflecting on it a bit, I am now holding all funds. Cash is King when your Governor shuts the state down for another two months and you haven't seen a roll of toilet paper on a shelf in a month. The watches will still be there in 3 months, or 6 months, or a year. I am now in wait and see mode.
Old 1 April 2020, 12:55 AM   #720
AndyWright
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
now is probably the best time to buy
Closed Thread