The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 August 2019, 03:49 PM   #511
Chaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 x 2
SS YM2 is no more attention grabbing than other blue bezel models - BLRO, BLNR etc. YMII lettering blends with other numerals, visually consistent with a GMT's 24hr etching. If you have no issues with a Pepsi or Batman in the office then no problems with a YM2 either. I wear my YM2 daily.
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 04:14 PM   #512
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
I own a YG YM2. It screams "F-U" (watch) to everyone. It's obnoxious, 44mm (Big) and just right in your face with a blue bezel. What's not to like? Not many people feel comfortable wearing it...I love it, when people stare. It's as said above, an acquired taste.
Pretty much sums up why i dont like it
Old 8 January 2020, 08:36 PM   #513
LawMan
"TRF" Member

I think the WG with blue hands ( transitional) is the ultimate sleeper . May pull the trigger on one today . Love the weight of the gold, size is right for me.
LawMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 08:39 PM   #514
Hotrod297
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
It's a great watch for large wrist. I really like it, but a bit too large for me.

Don't worry about popularity, just get it!
Old 9 January 2020, 12:41 AM   #515
jkap2323
"TRF" Member

The YM II is an amazing watch but when you compare it to a submariner or a GMT master, it doesn’t make sense to most potential buyers. The price tag on that reference is too high. You could buy two professional SS models for that price. If it was priced the same as the sea dweller, I would buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jkap2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 08:02 AM   #516
LawMan
"TRF" Member

I did get the WG YM 11 today with transitional blue hands. Traded a regular deepsea plus $ . Took it to RSC for a link and a polish. back in two weeks. Gorgeous watch IMHO . count down timer is more useful to me than other rolex complications.
LawMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 09:29 AM   #517
cts
"TRF" Member

WG YMII is one of the best looking watches Rolex makes. Beautiful and no doubt a future classic...
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 04:56 AM   #518
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
YM II? Some hate it some love it. I am in the love it camp and will add one to my collection in the next few years.
So my recommendation is if you like them and want one, go get one.
There is no point in going through life and regretting what you could have done or could have had!
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 05:55 AM   #519
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I tried it on the other day and I liked it alot more than I thought, bezel text is not so prominent in real life, countdown timer is still a bit superflous but a nice and unique watch all teh same.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 10:14 AM   #520
bazin
"TRF" Member

Nice and outstanding, exclusive watch......
Congratulations!
bazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 12:01 PM   #521
drgoro
"TRF" Member

I love mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CE39D966-3B76-4BD4-AF1D-B52552CC912C.jpeg (104.5 KB, 518 views)
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 10:37 AM   #522
Chief17
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Yachtmaster
I love my YM2. I bought it for me - not for anyone else or opinions. Respect everyone’s comments but I’m at a point in life that I really don’t care if people hate it. It’s different which makes it a special watch to me.
Chief17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 11:09 AM   #523
amilch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoro View Post
I love mine
Amazing
amilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 06:36 PM   #524
drrd
"TRF" Member

One thing I've noticed looking at the used market for YMII (apart from being below MSRP) is the number of watches that have a slightly misaligned timer hand. I mean many don't seem to hit the 12 marker precisely when they're reset. Maybe it's a consequence of the fly-back/forward functionality. I know there were issues with the first gen movement and it was redesigned but I wonder if they're still a little bit of a work in progress as far as materials and components. The latest ones with the mercedes hands seem more precisely aligned but maybe they're just more youthful movements
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 06:38 PM   #525
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

Saw this piece in an AD today. I can see why it’s still there. The designer needs to be fired.

Homo Sapien X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 07:40 PM   #526
tquieng
"TRF" Member

Just waiting for this SS YM2 to be disconrinued- price will go up.
tquieng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 11:45 AM   #527
VoiceOfReason
"TRF" Member

Watch: vintage GMT-Master
Many Rolexes are named- as is the YachtMaster 2 - with deep historical reference in mind.

The term Yacht Master - dating back to the 1950's - is named for a certificate that can be earned, an internationally recognized qualification that is indeed very difficult to obtain and requires thousands of miles of offshore sailing / racing to qualify for. Many watch guys don't really recognize this fact about the watch. Earning the Yacht Master qualification is administered by the UK-based Royal Yachting Association. It's a big deal. Think of it as an international version of 'captains license' but considerably more bad-a** . Loads of science and math involved in passing the exam, calculating positions based on shoreline objects, celestial / astro-navigation, logbook and record keeping etc. Deep knowledge of currents and tidal flows, weather systems, commercial vessel traffic and communications, you get the idea.

If the GMT is for world travelers, the Sub is for divers and the SkyDweller is for pilots then the YM2 is for racing sailors--- is that such a stretch ? Few owners of the above lot require such a "complication" (I learned that term here on this page)- but the countdown timer serves other purposes in life.

As a racing sailor, I'm blown away by the mis-info I've read about the YM2's functionality. Big boat offshore events have start sequences nearly *always* of 5 minutes. Once your prepared boat arrives in the starting area , you'll have already set the watch up once (per weekend most likely) and it's good to go for multi-race regatta series at whatever weekend event you're at.

Just a single 1-button push gets the process started (ie: at the 5 minute preparatory signal (horn + flag on the race committee boat). You get a chance to touch that precious YM2 again at the 4-minute warning signal (re re-sync the watch using the flyback feature if you missed it at 5 mins). Yet another re-set chance at the 1-minute and then at zero seconds left, you try to hit the line at full speed without fouling anyone around you. If you're seconds late, you're in the dust (read: disturbed wind due to other boats that started on the second) and hugely disadvantaged for the rest of the first leg of the race. IF you go over the line early and get called for it (likely), you have to go back and re-start (or re-round an end of the start line if code flag I is flown on the RC boat). Now your fate is nearly sealed in the cheap seats for the race.

Is the watch useful for this ? Absolutely. Any cheap watch with a countdown timer is equally good though. Some may even be easier to read.

People buy cool stuff like this and justify it any way they want, but this is the purpose for which it was intended. I guess we all like to associate with some form of active lifestyle 'club' whether its flying, diving, traveling, or in this case yacht racing.

You are welcome to think it's pretentious as has been pointed out earlier. I guess my entire sport and 'yacht club mentality' is viewed this way. That's fair. I think the yellow gold YM2 is ridiculous as the expensive habit we participate in. But I also think it's cool, very attractive and if my sub and GMT are any indication, potentially a good investment. I dont know if I can "pull it off" as i've also been warned about earlier in this thread but my plan is to buy one as soon as tomorrow once I decide on new vs. used, and this discussion re-affirms my position and desire. Buying it because I think it's cool and --- because I'm nearing completion of earning my YM certificate after lots of study.

Sorry for the long post / rant, but I hadn't seen the "is it cool or is it a clown-master" deliberation answered in this way so I wanted to throw in my $0.02 on the history and functionality at least from this guys' perspective..

Many thanks to everyone here, I"ve learned a ton about the watch and how it's viewed. I'm ALL-IN on this regardless of what you or even my wife thinks ;-)
VoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 03:07 PM   #528
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

I have one and like it. Why, because most people don't! I like something different and unique. And some may say its 10 minute timer is useless. Not so fast. I love mine for timing steak regattas on the grill!
nutrientcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 04:51 PM   #529
mjr24
Banned

I loved this watch for a long time when I was more of a novice.....once I became more educated on the Rolex models, it just didn't do anything for me anymore. I didn't feel the dial had any use to 99.9% of people. I felt it was a "look at me" watch more than anything due to the lettering, size, etc....but then I realized that the YM is nowhere near the top of the Rolex hierarchy (nor is any SS model price-wise).

It's just hard to read with the white face, too. Regardless of what we own....a watch number 1 has to be able to tell time quickly and this is one of the few that you have to dig through all the busy-ness to even determine the time. I think white faces in general don't do it for me.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 10:14 PM   #530
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrientcobra View Post
I have one and like it. Why, because most people don't! I like something different and unique. And some may say its 10 minute timer is useless. Not so fast. I love mine for timing steak regattas on the grill!
I agree. I bought the WG for that reason and that its a stunning watch.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 10:18 PM   #531
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrientcobra View Post
+1 Best steak timer I've ever had
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 03:08 PM   #532
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummy View Post
+1 Best steak timer I've ever had
Seriously works well for that. I like the clean look of watch. Ocean and sky (:
Old 1 April 2020, 03:09 PM   #533
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
I agree. I bought the WG for that reason and that its a stunning watch.
I think so too. I have had many compliments on the YM2!
Old 6 April 2020, 02:01 AM   #534
Webster2281
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG YM2
The WG YM2 may be one of Rolex’ best “sleeper” watches. The heft and platinum bezel are great.

Webster2281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 08:48 PM   #535
mackychase
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmm..
Maybe because the YMII deserves this color...

Sorry for the awful edit on the black face
mackychase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 08:55 PM   #536
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Why did they switch from the blue hands to the white Mercedes hands? To me the blue hands are so much easier to read and look better on the white dial. I don't get it. I'm sure there was a reason but I would pick up the previous model if I were to buy one. Other than the white hands I love the watch.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 10:56 PM   #537
ByronB
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yacht-Master II
I really like the unique combination of red, white and blue on the dial. It strikes me as sort of Patriotic.

I chose the Mercedes hands version because that is what I was used to from my old YM40, and I like them far better than the older blue hands version. The color of the blue on the hands never quite looked right to me.

I leave the Regatta timer running when I am not using the countdown timer. I like seeing the red seconds hand on the move at all times. I synced it with the small second hand and I enjoy the way they parallel each other.

I LOVE that it is so under rated! Just think of what a bargain YMII owners get to enjoy compared to the smaller, less complicated SS models that bring significantly more money. Certainly the most bang for the buck SS Rolex, by far!
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 02:13 AM   #538
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
haters are gonna hate, i have one and love the white dial and red hand, the writing on the bezel doesn’t bother me. plus the awesome movement with flyback feature

jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 02:17 AM   #539
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
For me its two things,... the large writing and the large size
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 02:42 AM   #540
ppbskis
"TRF" Member

Underated due to extremely few people actually need to time a regatta. More people go saturation diving than reggataing I think.
ppbskis is offline   Reply With Quote