The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 August 2014, 12:26 PM   #121
CWIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
I don't think it looks bad at all...my issue is the overall size of the watch. Kills it for me.
CWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 12:27 PM   #122
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mew View Post
Disappointing.

Commemorative models are something I would only expect Rolex's competitors to do.

My thoughts as well, but another contributor on another thread pointed out at least 3 other Rolex commemorative watch occasions:
  1. Handover of Panama Canal
  2. US astronauts visit Japan
  3. 50th anniversary of Italian State Police

This event certainly has a different feel to the others listed. Don't let facts get in the way of a good story.
Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 12:36 PM   #123
NicoM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologicalGangster View Post
It's a nice watch, but Rolex has kind of taken a page out of Breitling's book by hyping a new watch with a simple color difference and commemorating it for something special. At least they didn't make it a limited edition like Breitling does...
Most rolex watches just have "simple color differences".
NicoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 12:36 PM   #124
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
This is the worst looking watch they've done in a long, long time. It's bizarre and I don't like it at all.
Old 5 August 2014, 12:37 PM   #125
NicoM
"TRF" Member

I follow Hodinkee on Instagram and they have a nice photo if it. This is a modern Rolex that I'd seriously consider if I had the money.
NicoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 12:40 PM   #126
mike
"TRF" Member

What James Cameron did was amazing and that Rolex again demonstrated they can make a watch that is capable of surviving in the harshest conditions makes this a worthy addition to the history of the brand.

This hobby isn't all about "can I wear threads" or will it go with this shirt. It encompasses much more.

Kudos to Rolex for giving us all a piece of history---with a two tone dial no less.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 12:40 PM   #127
elcompa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIN View Post
I don't think it looks bad at all...my issue is the overall size of the watch. Kills it for me.
Me 2. I think I'd need to be 6 ft. 5 in. and over 250 lbs for it to feel comfy on me me. Sadly, I am but a normal human size.
elcompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 12:56 PM   #128
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromopilot View Post
Steamcrab and I approve.

This DSSD certainly isn't for everyone. Which is fine, most luxury items aren't. I applaud Rolex's efforts here to capture a truly momentous event in human history. The execution was a bold endeavor. The gradient effect almost reminds me of the earth's atmosphere---I wonder how it would look on a GMT?

The green appears to be the sticking point for most folks. But then again, I doubt anyone who has an issue with this watch, also enjoys the aesthetic quirkiness of the orange lightning bolt second hand of the Milgauss. The green simply pays homage to the color of Mr.Cameron's sub. Years from now, when perhaps a father passes this watch to his son and his son asks about the color, the father can relate the story of the sub that made this dive.

As I've always said, you do you. This watch will "do it" for a great many folks who are adventurers and enthusiasts of just how far Man has pushed the boundaries of deepsea exploration.
Don't forget that 2 men did this same dive with a Rolex 54 years ago. The first was the manned descent by Swiss-designed, Italian-built, United States Navy-owned bathyscaphe Trieste in 1960, with U.S. Navy Lieutenant Don Walsh and Jacques Piccard on board.
There have been 4 successful descents down the Marianas Trench.
Not making light of his accomplishment to do it alone, but just shedding light that it had been done a few times before and firstly over a half century ago.

Submariner 126619LB + GMT II 126710BLRO + Explorer II 126570 Polar + Daytona 116500LN (White) + Submariner 16610LV + Explorer II 16570 Polar +
Daytona 116500LN (Black) + Submariner 116610LV + GMT II 16713 Rootbeer + Sky-Dweller 336934 (Blue) + GMT II 16710 (Pepsi & Coke) + Sea-Dweller 116600

2FA Security Active
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 12:59 PM   #129
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
This is the worst looking watch they've done in a long, long time. It's bizarre and I don't like it at all.
+ 1. Bizarre and embarrassing. I'm worried about what they will bring in the future..
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:01 PM   #130
Royalex
"TRF" Member

Price will be higher than the normal one?
Royalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:03 PM   #131
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingbear View Post
Don't forget that 2 men did this same dive with a Rolex 54 years ago. The first was the manned descent by Swiss-designed, Italian-built, United States Navy-owned bathyscaphe Trieste in 1960, with U.S. Navy Lieutenant Don Walsh and Jacques Piccard on board.
Not making light of his accomplishment to do it alone, but just shedding light that it had been done a few times before and firstly over a half century ago.
Spot on and Rolex was there with the Trieste as well.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:04 PM   #132
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex has officially jumped the shark tank.... I suspect this "new" Rolex will be as popular as new Coke was.
Old 5 August 2014, 01:04 PM   #133
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Love that blue and how it looks black. That piece is too big for me so not for me but I like the look.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:05 PM   #134
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
You'll pay an extra 1k for a half blue dial. Others paid 1.5k extra for a half blue bezel(BLNR). WTF!
Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:06 PM   #135
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidal View Post
You'll pay an extra 1k for a half blue dial. Others paid 1.5k extra for a half blue bezel(BLNR). WTF!
very true.
Trouble15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:07 PM   #136
Chelseafan
Banned

I think its nicer than the all black but its still too big.
Chelseafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:08 PM   #137
Nostromopilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2009 DSSD MK-1 V
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingbear View Post
Oh I didn't forget. I was merely highlighting the connection between this timepiece and the significance of the most recent dive. I'm glad you included these highlights however. It's always helpful to understand the past so we know how far we've come.
Nostromopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:10 PM   #138
Nidal
"TRF" Member

I'm taking the new CEO down!
He is moving to tissot at best next!
Old 5 August 2014, 01:14 PM   #139
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

An attractive watch for sure - but IMO they should have left the "Deepsea'' in white instead of green.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:16 PM   #140
LBHQ

Watch: 116520
look not bad actually , let's wait n see in the flesh
LBHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:17 PM   #141
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew View Post
Disappointing.

Commemorative models are something I would only expect Rolex's competitors to do.

I agree with the commemorative comment. It may look great in real life, but I hope Rolex doesn't go down the SE/LE path.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:18 PM   #142
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Watch: 16610LV
The thing is that nothing was launched today except a dial variation. I'm not going to debate the aesthetics of the dial as it is subjective. Rolex made it seem like something new and exciting was coming and nothing of the sort did. It would be like a car maker launching the same model in a different color - horribly anticlimactic IMO. The way I think Rolex should have went about this is just to have put it up out of the blue, no "Launching August 4th" nonsense. It would have just been a commemorative dial for the watch and I think people would have thought it a much better way to 'launch' it.

just my $.02
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:19 PM   #143
Wacko
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2,SubLVc,SubND
Just when I thought I was done buying anymore Rolexes, along comes the Seaweed…..
Wacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:21 PM   #144
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
The thing is that nothing was launched today except a dial variation. I'm not going to debate the aesthetics of the dial as it is subjective. Rolex made it seem like something new and exciting was coming and nothing of the sort did. It would be like a car maker launching the same model in a different color - horribly anticlimactic IMO. The way I think Rolex should have went about this is just to have put it up out of the blue, no "Launching August 4th" nonsense. It would have just been a commemorative dial for the watch and I think people would have thought it a much better way to 'launch' it.

just my $.02

Agree. I think they thought it was not worth launching at baselworld as a "new" watch so they decide or launch it a few months later!
Old 5 August 2014, 01:35 PM   #145
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidal View Post
Agree. I think they thought it was not worth launching at baselworld as a "new" watch so they decide or launch it a few months later!
I think not. This "launch" is timed to the debut of the film about the DeepSea Challenge expedition.

Releasing it at Basel would have been a waste, as well as screwing up the film debut.

While this launch is somewhat dubious, given what Rolex normally does, it's a heck of a lot better than what Bremont just did.

I think most of us will just shrug our shoulders, see the film and maybe buy the watch if we've been hankering for one over the last half decade, wondering when a two-tone dial would be introduced.

But, one thing is for sure, movie or not, Rolex was there big-time for the DeepSea expedition.

The problem is that their flogging the wrong watch.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:48 PM   #146
fmc000
Banned

Guys, are we discussing the Rolex marketing strategies? Seriously? They decided to release this watch along with the movie to gain visibility at TV level. What news program covers Baselworld? How many spoke about the Cameron movie?

I won't comment on the watch because it's too far for my taste and needs for me to say something useful.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 01:50 PM   #147
jamep1166610
"TRF" Member

i think Rolex made a winner here and I love the story the dial tell of the light blue shallows to the pitch black waters and in the middle DEEPSEA in the same green that james cameron's dive vessel was...the watch tells a story... plus i love my mk2 deep sea, amazing watch... Home Run Rolex!!!
jamep1166610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 02:06 PM   #148
Danex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Rolex On-Mission

I wasn't really considering the DSSD. My new Subc No Date is the bomb. But now with all the attention, I'm interested.

It really is a silly watch, when you think about it. Who among us needs a watch that can go 3900 meters under the sea? So it's cool that Rolex can mass produce such a watch, and that's one of the things I love about the brand. The technology and precision of the mechanical device is fantastic but could be considered obsolete compared to modern quartz movement. But it is the craftsmanship, elegance, and engineering that I love.

Anyway, my point is that this product release seems to me to be exactly on mission for Rolex. They are bringing attention to perhaps an under appreciated achievement in the DSSD. The DSSD and SD4000 exemplify amazing craftsmanship and engineering for us that appreciate what could become a dying art.

116520 Cosmograph Daytona
116622 & 16622 Yacht-Master
114060 & 14060 Submariner
Danex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2014, 02:11 PM   #149
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Very cool, love blue adding some color to the DSSD IMO is a great addition to the piece and the line. Thanks Rolex
Old 5 August 2014, 02:12 PM   #150
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
The ugly just got uglier.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote