The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 27 April 2015, 01:57 AM   #1021
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfPunk View Post
Amazing story. How are your injuries healing Tom?

I think I am scared permanently but it is not bad. Thank you for asking.
Old 27 April 2015, 08:15 AM   #1022
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Great news, Tom. Your amazing patience will be rewarded. So glad to hear this,
Old 27 April 2015, 05:05 PM   #1023
JRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough.
I just read through the entire thread and all 1022 comments - I'm astonished - not so much by what happened, but how well you handled the situation, Gaijin. I know quite a few people have said that already, but I cannot tell you how admirable you've handled the situation.

This was an amazing story and cannot wait to hear more. I wish I had popcorn to be honest.
Old 28 April 2015, 02:52 AM   #1024
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRolex View Post
I just read through the entire thread and all 1022 comments - I'm astonished - not so much by what happened, but how well you handled the situation, Gaijin. I know quite a few people have said that already, but I cannot tell you how admirable you've handled the situation.

This was an amazing story and cannot wait to hear more. I wish I had popcorn to be honest.
The only thing I want to hear is that Gaijin gets his 116509 back on his wrist
Old 28 April 2015, 03:23 AM   #1025
james1787
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Two in custody at this point with a third to be arrested this week. This theft ring is bigger than just my Daytona. That is all I can say at this point. At some point when the case is resolved I will be able to tell you all the details.
Wow, caught a couple of thieves with just one watch. I look forward to hearing the details when you can tell us and more importantly I look forward to seeing that Daytona back on your wrist. Hopefully sooner than later!
Old 10 May 2015, 07:18 PM   #1026
Gaijin

I recieved an e mail from the court appointed attorney that is representing one of the guys that stole my Rolex. One guy stole it and his friend pawned it. They are both in jail. Not sure which of those two this attorney represents. I told the police that they could give the attorney my phone number. He mailed me but did not call.

Not the best English but a good try. I wish I could show you the e mail but that would be uncool. Basically the suspect per the mail feels terrible about stealing my watch, more likely feels terrible that he got caught. But anyway he wants to personally apologize to me.
Old 10 May 2015, 08:16 PM   #1027
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
I recieved an e mail from the court appointed attorney that is representing one of the guys that stole my Rolex. One guy stole it and his friend pawned it. They are both in jail. Not sure which of those two this attorney represents. I told the police that they could give the attorney my phone number. He mailed me but did not call.

Not the best English but a good try. I wish I could show you the e mail but that would be uncool. Basically the suspect per the mail feels terrible about stealing my watch, more likely feels terrible that he got caught. But anyway he wants to personally apologize to me.
i d rather avoid any kind of contact with a criminal .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Old 10 May 2015, 08:46 PM   #1028
Andreas420
"TRF" Member

Watch: A bunch :)
Nice story! I'm really happy you got you're watch back!
Old 10 May 2015, 09:10 PM   #1029
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas420 View Post
When did that happen?
Old 10 May 2015, 09:34 PM   #1030
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas420 View Post
Yea I have not gotten it back yet Andreas. And yea I won't be meeting with this guy. I will talk to his attorney tomorrow though. They want to provide some compensation to me to lesson sentencing. Not really interested in that either.
Old 10 May 2015, 09:36 PM   #1031
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Good for you Tom, I wouldn't talk to the guy either. I bet you have the Daytona back very soon. What repairs are going to be needed for it?

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 10 May 2015, 10:03 PM   #1032
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Good for you Tom, I wouldn't talk to the guy either. I bet you have the Daytona back very soon. What repairs are going to be needed for it?

Not sure yet Sarge. I will be taking it to the local RSC as soon as I get it back. The bracelet is bent, but if they want to replace the whole thing than I can live with a bent bracelet.
Old 10 May 2015, 11:02 PM   #1033
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
I will be taking it to the local RSC as soon as I get it back. The bracelet is bent, but if they want to replace the whole thing than I can live with a bent bracelet.
I suppose a little compensation will cover any RSC costs to make the watch as good as new?

I think every member of TRF is looking forward to you being reunited with your watch

You've dealt with the whole situation admirably.
Old 12 May 2015, 07:59 AM   #1034
Joemck
"TRF" Member

Watch: And listen
Hi Tom,
I'm new to the forum and just heard about your saga. As others have said, your poise and restraint are admirable but what really stands out is the purchase of the bike. You have a kind heart imbued with grace and understanding.
Best, Joe
Old 12 May 2015, 10:46 AM   #1035
Gaijin

Thank you sir.

So I talked with the lawyer representing the suspect who stole my watch. Not the one who pawned it. The one who stole it and the one who pawned it are friends and both work at the same bar that I went to that night. They are both still in jail.

They got 1,700,000 for it. The one who stole it kept 1,400,000 and the one who pawned it got 300,000.

I was targeted by these guys. They saw that I was drunk and followed me down the stairs. Here is the funny part. The one who stole it said he was concerned for me. So concerned that when I fell he offered no assistance then took my Daytona which fell off, made no effort to help me up and give it back and then asked his goofball friend to pawn it.

So the attorney asked me to sign a document saying that I "forgive the guy." I don't have to sign it but it is standard in Japan to ask a victim to do this. I hear that most judges pretty much ignore this.

Also I was told that the theif will be required to pay a fine or "compensation" to me for stealing my watch. Though I was also told that even though this is a condition set out by the court it is never guaranteed that it will ever get paid.

I asked the lawyer where is the 1,700,000 Yen? He said its been spent. So I asked if they wil reimburse the pawn shop and he said he will be ordered by the court to do it. Also he told me that I do not have to meet with the suspect.
Old 12 May 2015, 10:52 AM   #1036
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
^^^Do you have a prosecuter also telling you to sign the "forgive the guy" document?
That sounds like a BAD idea somehow....like absolving him of the crime committed and therefore removing responsibility.
Old 12 May 2015, 10:56 AM   #1037
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Thank you sir.

So I talked with the lawyer representing the suspect who stole my watch. Not the one who pawned it. The one who stole it and the one who pawned it are friends and both work at the same bar that I went to that night. They are both still in jail.

They got 1,700,000 for it. The one who stole it kept 1,400,000 and the one who pawned it got 300,000.

I was targeted by these guys. They saw that I was drunk and followed me down the stairs. Here is the funny part. The one who stole it said he was concerned for me. So concerned that when I fell he offered no assistance then took my Daytona which fell off, made no effort to help me up and give it back and then asked his goofball friend to pawn it.

So the attorney asked me to sign a document saying that I "forgive the guy." I don't have to sign it but it is standard in Japan to ask a victim to do this. I hear that most judges pretty much ignore this.

Also I was told that the theif will be required to pay a fine or "compensation" to me for stealing my watch. Though I was also told that even though this is a condition set out by the court it is never guaranteed that it will ever get paid.

I asked the lawyer where is the 1,700,000 Yen? He said its been spent. So I asked if they wil reimburse the pawn shop and he said he will be ordered by the court to do it. Also he told me that I do not have to meet with the suspect.
How will these 2 criminals reimburse anyone if say they have absolutely no assets to their name?
Old 12 May 2015, 12:17 PM   #1038
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
I might sign a "forgive the guy" document after they spent a significant amount of time in jail and reimbursed everyone for their losses but not one second before.
Old 12 May 2015, 12:55 PM   #1039
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
When opposing attorneys start asking me to sign paperwork in a country with unfamiliar customs and laws, that's when I would spend a few yen for a consult with an attorney watching out for my best interests. It's cheap insurance.
Old 12 May 2015, 01:00 PM   #1040
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
I can think of another "F" the guy document I might sign. Forgive is definitely not the F word I'd use. Good luck in your continued saga.
Old 12 May 2015, 01:00 PM   #1041
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
I don't have to sign it....
There it is.

I also agree with Dr. Chitwood.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 12 May 2015, 01:03 PM   #1042
badass09
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX 116613LBD
Quote:
Thank you sir.

Tom i didn't know you were drunk when u lost the watch...?? But anyhow.. hope you get your watch back soon.. gd luck buddy..
Old 12 May 2015, 03:29 PM   #1043
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
^^^Do you have a prosecuter also telling you to sign the "forgive the guy" document?
That sounds like a BAD idea somehow....like absolving him of the crime committed and therefore removing responsibility.
No its just a very common practice in Japan but pretty much meaningless during sentencing. It is just a cultural way to help another save face. I am not required to forgive him on paper.
Old 12 May 2015, 03:30 PM   #1044
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
How will these 2 criminals reimburse anyone if say they have absolutely no assets to their name?
Exactly..

I am not holding my breath.
Old 12 May 2015, 03:32 PM   #1045
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass09 View Post
Tom i didn't know you were drunk when u lost the watch...?? But anyhow.. hope you get your watch back soon.. gd luck buddy..
It was New Years Eve. I am not a big drinker but I drank more than I normally would.
Old 12 May 2015, 03:33 PM   #1046
badass09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was New Years Eve. I am not a big drinker but I drank more than I normally would.
That explains the fall.. anyway don't wear your expensive watches when going out to drink alone man.. ;)
Old 12 May 2015, 03:39 PM   #1047
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass09 View Post
That explains the fall.. anyway don't wear your expensive watches when going out to drink alone man.. ;)

I was not alone, I just left alone. The fall was all the fault of the narrow dark staircase. I am sure the alcohol did not help but I don't think I could have negotiated that stone sober. It appears that one of the suspects pushed the floor 2 button to put me off on that dark area. Creepy dudes. There have been numerous thefts at this bar that these guys confessed to.
Old 12 May 2015, 08:31 PM   #1048
badass09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was not alone, I just left alone. The fall was all the fault of the narrow dark staircase. I am sure the alcohol did not help but I don't think I could have negotiated that stone sober. It appears that one of the suspects pushed the floor 2 button to put me off on that dark area. Creepy dudes. There have been numerous thefts at this bar that these guys confessed to.
Ohh man.. those sneaky guys planned the whole theft out..
Old 12 May 2015, 08:32 PM   #1049
Gaijin

The serial number of the Daytona solved a lot of thefts and will get it back to me.
Old 12 May 2015, 09:07 PM   #1050
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I can't wait until that grail is back on your wrist Tom.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Closed Thread